Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kaprun Resort Report Feedback Thread

Poster: A snowHead
This is a feedback thread for slikedges' resort report:

Kaprun (February 2007)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skiledges, am I right in thinking that the cable cars up to the glacier are a bus ride from Kaprun accomodation?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond, Yes. about 10-15 mins.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a common misapprehension that Kaprun is the glacier. The ski area at Kaprun is a tiny, low-level area. The glacier is the Kitzsteinhorn, which is in the middle of nowhere (okay 10 mins away from Kaprun - then a 20 min? gondola ride up).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kitzsteinhorn ski map
http://www.bergfex.com/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/panorama/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
richman, FtS and liz B are exactly right. I didn't see any accomm at the bottom of the Kitzsteinhorn lifts. Kaprun is a not unattractive large village with a good ski bus service. As I went by on the bus I think I passed just about all the hotels I'd considered and the stops seem pretty well spaced and convenient. The village is low at 775m so I'd guess most of the time, the short walk would be on dry ground too. Also you can leave your skis/boots at the 1st and 2nd stages, so nothing to carry. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Odd question I know but does anyone know if it is it possible to hike up to the top of the first gondala station at Langwied?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nhayes, I couldn't give a definitive answer....but having been in the gondola, I wouldn't have thought you'd want to even of you could!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nhayes, part of your hike up would be on a near vertical face and anyway you'd be picked off one by one by the Austrian riflemen at the bottom
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
slikedges wrote:
richman

I wish.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Odd question I know but does anyone know if it is it possible to hike up to the top of the first gondala station at Langwied?

It is actually possible to ski all the way down from the gondola station to near the car park, so it must be possible to hike up. I came down three years ago with a guide / instructor. He told me that only a small handful of instructors know the route and have actually done it, and very few tourists have ever done it. It was quite tough with narrow paths, trees, bare patches, rocks and a couple of chutes. To be honest I paid virtually no attention whatsoever to the route as I was tired and trying my utmost to cling on to the tails of the crazy mans ski's as best I could. Very Happy

I understand conditions have to be just right, which they rarely are, and that there are maybe 6 people in the ski school who know the route well enough. BUT, I guess if they're not right for skiing down, and the reason isn't avalanche danger, then conditions may still be ok for hiking up, but why you'd want to do that when you've got a perfectly good gondola to take you up is beyond me wink wink wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnowGod,

Now that's something I'd like to do (conditions permitting of course).
If you remember the Ski Instructor's name or even the ski school's name please PM me with the details.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm pretty sure I needed my hands-free pass for lifts from the 1st stage too, so to bypass buying a pass I'd need to hike up to the 2nd stage - hmmmh...where's that gondola again? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am considering going here in easter as it seems to be a safe bet for snow ( 1st week of April); Have a few questions if anyone can answer;

1/ How long does it take to get from village to top? ( are the Q's likely to be bad)
2/ Are there any greens @ the top ( 2 kids in tow)?
3/ Do you think there will be snow on the ground @ resort level that week?
4/ Any recommendations on which ski school?
5/ Would you recommend the 1/2 or full day( 4 hrs total) lessons ( kids are 8 & 12 )?

Thanks in advance
Mitch
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mitchell,

1-You have to get a bus from Kaprun village which takes 1o mins to the gondola station then its at least a 20 minute gondola ride. queues depend on snow at other nearby resorts which if the rest of the season so far is naything to go by has been rubbish!

2-There are no greens in Austria, that I know of. There are a few easy blues served mainy by tbars

3-I doubt there will be snow in kaprun itself but who knows!

4-I'd recommend skischule Alpin from personal experience but they're all pretty good.

5- Don't know enough about kid skiing to comment... but would advise getting the instuctor to meet you on the mountain rather than at the bottom of the gondola station. If you have full days they tend to stick around with you after the official end time, especially if you buy them lunch and drinks!
snow report
I was in Zell at Easter last year, and there was no snow at resort level. I would be prepared to queue for the gondolas if snow isn't great elsewhere, as people will be bussing in from other resorts.

It is possible to avoid the t-bars if they are a problem...but it will limit your skiing. There is a cable car that takes you to the top of the ski area, from which you can ski down to the Alpincentre.

It depends on the level of your kids skiing as to whether 1/2 day or full day lessons are best. But as SnowGod says, make sure you meet your instructor at the top of the gondola not the bottom.
ski holidays
Mitchell, what SnowGod said!

If you get there early there'll be much less of a queue to get up to the main glacier ski area. Some buses from town leave as early as 0745 Shocked but be careful as your hotel may not serve breakfast till 0730! However even once up there, if snow in surrounding low-lying resorts is poor queues do build up on all the lifts including the three main glacier T-bars. Should say though that the queues when I was there weren't that bad despite peak carnival week and poor snow in the low-lying resorts.

Have your kids done much skiing b4? I'd guess at that age they'd tolerate a full day of lessons, so it might be more about whether you'd like to ski with them or not! wink
snow conditions
SnowGod,

Kids have never skied before , or even seen much snow ( as we live near London). Just didn't want to overdo the lessons but also want to make sure they get the most out of it without putting them off!
Assuming we end up on the glacier; is it likely to be considerably colder 'on it' than the surrounding area ( just working out what clothing I should take)?

Thanks again
Mitch
snow report
Kaprun is on a glacier so there should be no bare patches.
snow report
Mitchell, if they haven't skied before, then I'd go for 4 hrs per day. That's not unusual for beginners.

The glacier will be colder than Kaprun, and can also get windy. However, if the sun is out it can be warm. There are plenty of places at the Alpincentre where you can stash a bag with spare jumpers in (it's fairly safe...but don't leave anything that you couldn't live without!!)
latest report
Quote:

It is actually possible to ski all the way down from the gondola station to near the car park, so it must be possible to hike up

SnowGod, if I were to hike your route, would you say crampons or snowshoes or both? Also can your remember the name of the instructor or even the outfit he worked for?

The answer to the question of 'why not use the gondola?' resides in my morbid fear of confied spaces so I tend to hike gondola routes instead wink
snow report
Mitchell, We went to Kaprun on 1st April last year, there was no snow at village level when we arrived, but we were lucky enough for it to snow mid week, quite heavily and covered the village and the the lower runs re-opened!
We got on the skibus at 8.15, which was very busy, we then took a gondola up half way then another to the next point, we were all first timers ageing between 6yrs and 40!
the entire journey up was about an hour, I'd rather be honest so you are prepared, the journey is busy, people do push and shove (hang on to the little ones) but hey, once your up there its all forgotten!
We had 5 full days ski school with the main ones (I think) ski school Kaprun. We met them at the top of the 2nd gondola station at the Alpin centre, they were very good, most of us were capable (and doing) reds by the end of the week! The only downside of all day lessons was that we were not always able to meet the children at lunchtimes, but I would not have been confident the first time to be in charge of them in the afternoon, and believe me they want to ski ALL day!
There are no greens but the blues are fine, nice wide runs. 8 & 12 yr olds will prob out ski you by the end of the week!
There is another stop on the bus before the kisteinhorn called the maisgogel, if you are able to, definately do it, our instructor took us there and we skied all the way down into the village and walked back to our chalet, it was wonderful.
My 6 yr old did it too, I think on day 3, he is a very confident skier all thanks to good instruction.
Also Intersport seemed the best place for rental, and there are lockers on the glacier so you can leave skis there, have fun! snowHead
snow conditions
Mitchell, Based on my experiences ( matching feefee, )with kids and the scrum getting bus, gondola, gondola, I would avoid Kaprun and go somewhere else. Plenty of snow in ;ots of the higher French resorts at that time of the year. PAy a bit more and have a far more relaxed experience. Nothing worse than staying at the glacier end of the village and standing at a bus stop with young kids as the 5th jam packed ski bus sees no point in stopping.
snow report
Mitchell, One of th emain contributing factors to the temperature is the altitude. The glacer is considerably higher than anywhere else in the region (at least anywhere you can ski) so it will undoubtedly be "coldER" but not neccessarily that cold. I've sat outside a restaurant in a T shirt on the glacier at Easter before now, and have also experience -20 ish at easter. The higher you go the more volatile and unpredictable the weather may be, so its a bit of a lottery really. More likely to get pleasant sunny weather at easter than in, say, January, though! Also, I'd seriously consider doing you trip independently, flying into Salzburg from various points in the UK, then hiring a car. That way you won't have to put up with the ski bus scrum at the beginning and end of the day. I'd also add that the three times I've been to Zell / Kaprun at Easter, I've spent most of my time skiing the Zell am See area which is easily accessibly by ski bus from Kaprun to Schuttdorf then up the Areitbahn gondola from there. As far as Frosty the Snowman, comments regarding France are concerned... I'd suggest you won't find snow quality any better than Kaprun in France, and I'd certainly agree that you'll PAY a bit more... a lot more in fact, particularly when your kids want drinks and food on the mountain.... The issue is getting to the gondola station from the village which can be a bind, but if you get a car, you're sorted. I'd echoe feefee, comments about trying to ski maiskogel if the conditions are ok. It's a quiet treelined and pleasant area with a couple of lovely pit stops and, like she says, you can ski to Kaprun. It is in fact Kapruns own ski area, and its tiny and low (high point is 1600m or thereabouts, compared to Zell at 2000m and the glacier at 3000m)

nhayes, I'd say snow shoes would probably be enough. There's a lot of trees and paths so its not like climbing a steep ice pitch. The ski school was Alpin. They have offices in Kaprun itself, Schuttdorf and Zell, and also have a website... http://www.sport-alpin.at/eng/index.php Like I said, the guy told me conditions have to be spot on and apparently it doesn't happen very often.
latest report
Last Easter, Zell piste management was excellent, and despite high temps, they kept the resort runs open. So you can live in hope that they manage the same again this year. That would take the pressure off the glacier.
ski holidays
SnowGod, thanks again. I'll try and track Alpin down when I get there to see if they can map the route for me and advise on conditions.
ski holidays
Another report from sev112's:

Kaprun (January 2010)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy