Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl Resort Report Feedback Thread

Poster: A snowHead
This is a feedback thread for Deliaskis' resort report:

Ischgl (January 2006)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...

(welcome to snowHeads, Deliskis - good start!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice report Deliaskis.

I do intend to get to Ischgl eventually - but probably not next year.

Accommodation is the key factor

How did you arrange the B&B ? Directly or via the tourist office ?

Did you have to go weekend to weekend, or could you book trips starting and ending any day ?

I would want a half board hotel anyway so this might be a limiting factor too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Latchigo, I managed to arrange to do a DIY trip at Feb half term last week without probs. The official website has online accommodation search engine.
During peak season you'll prob struggle to find anything but Sat->Sat accomodation. But as the flights were £50 per head cheaper flying Sun->Sunday we ended up paying for 6 nights accommodation Sun->Sat and then spending the final night near the airport. You'll prob only find weekend accomodation if you're prepared to pay a premium for 4* accommodation.
In my experience, most Austrian hotels offer half-board as standard, so I don't see that as being limiting.

Hoppo, Nice report. Agree totally that Ischgl is one of Eurpoes top resorts.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kamikaze, all Deliaski's work - must admit it sounds like a tempting destination...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Latchigo, We did a DIY trip (always do, as I used to live in Austria so it makes no sense to pay TO prices when it's so easy to book DIY there).

We flew Gatwick into Innsbruck with Austrian (Lauda), and like Kamikaze paid for cheaper Sunday flights and stayed our final night in Innsbruck (skied all day Saturday then got a cab down to the town at about 6pm). TBH it was quite nice to have a change of scene and to avoid the v. early morning departure from resort that we usually get!

We chose B&B because our group had been in a hotel the year before but fancied a change and a choice of food in the evening (if we're HB we tend to eat in the restaurant and then fall asleep, so B&B forced us to go out in the evening)!

Like Kamikaze says, you'll struggle to find anything that's not Sat-Sat in the main season, although you can get some very last minute offers when they want to fill any leftover rooms but it's a bit of a risk. I found ours through the tourist office website, but then went directly to them to actually book, and they were actually one of only two that agreed to do Sun - Sat for us, although I am pretty sure that they quoted us a higher price per night to compensate for the 'lost' night. However, almost all the others flatly refused so we were happy to get rooms at all!

I really liked the place, although it was bigger than I had expected. I actually want to go back soon because the extent of the skiing meant I didn't really feel like I 'nailed' the mountain IYSWIM (no smut please wink !) So another trip there is a must, which is odd for me because I don't usually go back to resorts a second time (when there are so many other places to go).

Anyway, thanks for comments, happy sliding snowHead !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Deliaskis',
Thanks for the report - there's great detail in it. A group of us are heading to Ischgl in February - some of us are staying in Garni Schmidt and 4 of us are staying in Garni Tanzer. I note that you paid about €45 per night for the accommodation - we were charged €75 per night for this year - now there's inflation even though on the site it quoted €60 - we decided to go with it as it's next door to Garni Schmidt.
Are the ski school's far from Garni Tanzer? (We have 4 beginners coming this year). Also can the staff in Garni Tanzer speak English? The reason I ask is that in the emails I have sent them they replied in German - none of the people from our group that are staying there can speak German, so if it's necessary to have a German speaker it might be helpful to know now so we can rearrange the accommodation (I know that the staff in Garni Schmidt can speak English as I know a couple of people that have stayed there before).
Finally - are the wellness rooms free to use or is there an extra charge for them? Is there certain times that they are full? Any recommendations for where to eat in the evening that is/are close to Tanzer - and possibly more importantly places to avoid Laughing

Many Thanks,

Killeagh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Killeagh, our trip was in January which would account for the cheaper prices I think!

The staff do speak English. I am the only German speaker in our group and the rest of them got on fine when I wasn't there. My correspondence had been all in German too but it's probably because it's a lot harder to write in a foreign language than to speak it. As you are understanding their emails, I guess you speak / read German, but if you ever need anything translating, give me a shout.

Wellness rooms are I think free (from what I remember). They didn't seem to be that busy but remember that any non-British users will be sans any type of clothing...

The Tanzer is just on the outskirts of town but there were skischools within a five minute walk. It's an easy bit of town to get around as it's flat all the way to the lifts so no carrying skis uphill ( I don't do that!).

There are plenty of restaurants and we didn't have a bad meal (or a really expensive one) all week. There is a pizzeria right by the Tanzer (can't remember the name but it's basically the first restaurant you come to when you leave the Tanzer in the direction of town, which is great if you don't want to venture far and the food is excellent. As per my report, Salz & Pfeffer in the centre of town is good and very popular. There is a bar / club downstairs called Fire & Ice for anybody looking to dance the night away.

Have fun, it's a great resort snowHead

D
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Deliaskis, excellent report, thank you. That's made me even more excited for 4 weeks time Very Happy Are there any particularly wonderful runs we musn't miss?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RachelQ, well, it's hard to pick one favourite resort, but my highlights were:

Black 4 and Red 7 - great for early morning when it's quiet and there's fresh snow - really pretty.

Red 80/81 - over to Switzerland between the rockfaces - really dramatic and a nice long run but flattish at the bottom!

Red 30/31 and 36 to Bodenalp - great cruising and not too busy, and the restaurant at the bottom is traditional with table service, and does fantastic Tiroler Groestl!

Black 20/21 - great views from the top, short and steep runs, with the best pizza in the alps at the bottom (go upstairs, downstairs is sausage and the like)

Blues in the 60s - easy motorway cruising, just point em down and let em go.

As you can see several of my recommendations depend on the restaurants at the bottom, that's just the kind o' gal I am!

Happy sliding
D
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Deliaskis, excellent thanks Very Happy We too like good runs with good restaurants, especially for the family Christmas week Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Deliaskis,
I'd say you are spot on with the January/February prices - I think we are going in the ski Magic season. I can read/speak very basic German - but there are others in the group that would be much better - I was using http://world.altavista.com/ to translate the mails Very Happy Your response to RachelQ is also very helpful - I like to plan the route in the morning so that I will come down a nice run around 1pm with a decent restaurant at the end.

Many thanks again,

Killeagh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Deliaskis, in your report you mentioned the taxi fom Innsbruck was good value ... how much was it?

Seven of us are flying to Friedrichshafen in a couple of weeks and have hired a minibus and will probably head to Ischgl (although we might head into Schweiz if the snow is better that way) ... be intereresting to know how much a cab would have been.

I like the sound of the B&B you stayed in as well .. we usually end up paying shed loads when we go there especially if it's for the weekend. Which end of town is it ... further up the valley towards Galtur or back towards Landeck?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RichA, Well there were 10 of us and we had two minubus type things (could have been 8 people in each if no bags!), and from Innsbruck and we paid something like EUR30 each for the return trip. It's hard to work out from the websites as there are fares on eg. http://laresch.at/taxiexpress/ (not the one we used) which look very expensive, but it gets cheaper as you work out your numbers and the more in a vehicle the better.

The site above are currently quoting EUR295 from Friedrichshafen, and EUR155 for Innsbruck so I guess you can see where I got my price (EUR155 x 2 (for return) = EUR310, divided by 10 of us, but we did have two vehicles, which seems strange!

I think this is the one that we used: http://www.taxi-ischgl.com/ (only just found it!).

HTH and happy sliding
D
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RichA, on the morning web cams Ischgl is looking like it's got excellent snow compared with CH
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RichA, Sorry forgot to mention, the B&B I stayed in was on the Galtuer side of town.

Happy sliding
D
ski holidays
thanks Deliaskis, is there a website for your B&B or a telephone number?

good news eng_ch, we'd rather go to Ischgl all things being equal but we probably won't make a decision till a couple of days beforehand
snow report
RichA, it's www.tanzer-ischgl.at . Quite a good site with last minute offers on there at a discount. Don't be put off by the photo that suggests it's set apart on its own (read, miles from anywhere), it's not, there's been some photoshopping of the picture (adding grass where buildings should be) and it's plenty close enough to the centre of town and the lifts.

D
snow conditions
thanks Deliaskis, looks good .. will definitely try and book there if we decide to go to Iscghl.
ski holidays
Great report. Going there next Jan 07 and staying in the Jagerhof Hotel. Looks like the skiing is very extensive with great lifts!
ski holidays
someone mentioned on here a few weeks ago a glacier in this region that i'd never heard of it ... anyone know what it was called ??
latest report
The two nearest

http://www.tirolgletscher.at/
snow conditions
RichA, we've booked a cab from Friedrichshafen for 8 of us and it's 500 Euros return, which isn't too bad at about £42 each. That's for the Christmas week, I don't know if that makes it any more expensive than at other times.
latest report
RachelQ, that's not a bad price .. have you got a link or telephone number ??

stanton, thanks for that... which would you recommend ?? ... bearing in mind apres comes fairly high in our list of priorities but not at the expense of terrible snow ... are they day tripable from Ischgl ?
latest report
RichA, his email address is alex.tullo@t-online.de
latest report
thanks RachelQ, I'll give him a call when we know where we're going.
snow report
eng_ch wrote:
RichA, on the morning web cams Ischgl is looking like it's got excellent snow compared with CH

any update on this eng_ch ?
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
The two nearest

http://www.tirolgletscher.at/

Kaunertal & Piztal ... does anyone know the setup at these ?? .. do you stay at the bottom of the lifts or in a nearby village ??? are there buses from your accomodation to the lifts or do you have to drive ?? which is the best village to stay in etc ??

any information gratefully received
latest report
does anyone know of a english based website for ischgl as their own site is only in austrian and german Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NEILSKI, it is in English, but it's a bit subtle and took me a while to fine it. In the top left hand corner there is EN, which is clickable and takes you to the English site. Unfortunately the weather forecast is still in German, but it's quite fun to copy and paste the german into a translation site and see how it comes out.
ski holidays
Hey thats great, i have been on Ischgl's site www.ischgl.com for the last month or so and i could only see it showing DE in the top left hand corner.
Now it makes life so much easier.
snow report
rachelQ thats great dont know how i missed the en before Puzzled any ideas on how to get hold of a ischgl guest card as it seems to make things alot cheaper rolling eyes
snow conditions
NEILSKI, no, I don't and I've been wondering about that too. Yesterday I emailed our hotel to check out the rumours that you couldn't pay for ski passes with credit cards, but apparently that isn't a problem any more, although it used to be.

I think I'll email again and ask about the guest card and the different prices for ski passes. If I get an answer I'll let you know.
snow report
thanks i was also told that you had to pay cash for lift pass if not pre booked through tour operator,and they seem to charge quite a premium,when are you going to ischgl,we are out there 17/3/07 for a week,which seems like a long way away Embarassed
snow report
NEILSKI, I've just had another look at the Ischgl site and the ski pass prices.

Quote:
The V.I.P.-Skipass 2006/2007
Valid at 40 ski lifts in Ischgl and Samnaun. The VIP Ski Pass is issued without exception only to guests staying in Ischgl or Mathon upon presentation of the relevant Guest Card.

Quote:
Silvretta Skipass 2006/2007
Regional ski pass valid at 68 ski lifts in Ischgl, Samnaun, Galtür, Kappl and See. The following prices are also valid for the Ischgl/Samnaun ski area without presentation of a Guest Card for Ischgl or Mathon.

So it seems the Guest Card entitles you to the VIP Skipass (a lot cheaper) but only for the Ischgl/Samnaun area not the whole of the Silvretta.
snow conditions
have you been to ischgl before and do you think that the VIP pass would limit your sking area to much,i am not sure about how much it would restrict us may be better to have the whole area pass in case we need to travel around for snow at that time of year thanks again
ski holidays
have just had email back from reservation at ischgl they say that the guest card is issued by hotel on arrival in resort therefore allowing you to use all its privlages straight away so i will look into which lifts it serves and wether it is worth using or not
ski holidays
NEILSKI, I'm out there in 10 days snowHead so I'll find out soon. I've never been before so I've no idea if the local pass will be enough - it might depend on how much more snow falls before Christmas. But I do like the reduced cost very much, especially since I'll be buying 4 passes.
latest report
The two of us went in first week in Feb last year on a DIY organised job.

We skiied in the local area all week but were running out of new places to go in the last 2 days. BUT, we were skiing as soon as poss in the morning and till 4 pm with about an hour off for lunch each day.

Cracking resort.

Swiss
ski holidays
NEILSKI, You get the guest card from any hotel/guesthouse/appartment in Ischgl providing you are staying there. As I understand it aim of the scheme is to get people to stay (and spend their money) in Ischgl, rather than coming from outside. You'll be given the card when you check-in, and then you show it when you buy your ski-pass. It has some other benefits like cheaper access to the Silvretta Centre (leisure/pool complex) in Ischgl.

As Rachel said, the VIP pass covers all of the Ischgl/Samnaun linked area. The other areas like Galtur and Kappl are in the same valley but a few miles (by road) away. I did a full week last Feb, and I managed to happily entertain myself on the 210km in Iscghl/Samnaun. I don't really think the other smaller areas have that much extra offer, but if you fancy an explore, then they obviously provide extra variety.
snow conditions
rachelQ have a great time, i would be interested to know how you go on as a fellow first timer to ischgl,from everything i have read and heard i am sure you will have a fantastic trip snow permiting snowHead

kamikaze thanks for the info after looking into it a think the VIP pass will be fine especially as i have to buy four for my sons and their mates Shocked

one other thing does anyone have any experience of the ski school in ischgl as want to get a couple of days one on one tuition while i am out there Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy