Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boys Tour

Poster: A snowHead
OK here's the question -

We are a bunch of guys (not youths) who have a week/long weekend in late January every year.

We've been to Val D'Isere, Verbier, St Anton, Alpes D'Huez and a couple of smaller resorts and are now discussing where else to go for next year.

Apres must be lively at 4.00 ish (preferably with a live band) and we also like playing pool/video games so an arcade for later on is also a plus.

All the guys are quite good skiers so we need over 100km of pistes and some more challenging runs/off piste too.

Happy with chalet or hotel but we do like a sauna to stretch the tired muscles at the end of the day.

That's the criteria - what are the answers?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tiger2, Off Topic, but I'm in the same position and thinking about St Anton for next year but most places only do Sat-Sat. Where did you guys stay when you went there please?

My recommendation for you would be Ischgl but again short term accomodation is not easy to come by and I can't think of an arcade...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27, Think you'll struggle this far in advance for anything other than Sat to Sat. Think the Hotel Montana in centre might do 3 days min. Also try the Anton Apparthotel right at the Galzigbahn. One of the lads who stays for 4 nights has stayed there the last 2 years
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamonix?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boabski, Not looking to book now, just harvesting info for the summer. Thanks for the info snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What halfhand, said....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27, 3 years ago managed to get Hotel Montjola 4* to do us a long weekend, it was €143 pppn and the room was small, but it was full 'skier board' with bloody good dinners, and a nice sauna, steam room, hot cabin in the basement. had a good stay in the end but it was a battle to get a room anywhere. the number is +43 (0)5446 2302.
Otherwise stay down the road (is it St Jacob) and use the buses.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tiger2, what halfhand & kitenski said snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27, Super Travel do short breaks, Hotel Rendlhof does normal per night ones too as do loads of the little pension/ guest house places. Just pop your dates into the tourist board accomodation search.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
midgetbiker, Nadenoodlee, Thanks - isn't snowHead 's wonderful!

Tiger2, what do you think - will it be Cham? I never fancied it myself. Location is VERY important if you do decide to stay there as to rely on the crowded buses (especially with a hangover) rather puts a downer on things
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anton, Ischgl, or Saalbach. Saalbach and Anton have an 'arcade,' Anton has the best off piste skiing and apres, Saalbach is the cheapest and still v good apres, Ischgl is the most expensive, probably better piste skiing than Anton but worse offpiste, worse apres but better nightlife. If it was me, I'd go Anton.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, he's been there already though...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
will it be Cham? I never fancied it myself. Location is VERY important if you do decide to stay there as to rely on the crowded buses (especially with a hangover) rather puts a downer on things

He didn't mention close proximity to slopes/lifts as a requirement Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bad Gastein - ticks the boxes for apres and thermal spas/wellness/saunas etc. - not so sure about the challenging skiing but think that there is scope for off-piste stuff - haven't been myself but group of mates have done it 2ce and loved it
snow conditions
Thanks for the replies.

We have been to St Anton 3 times now and while it is great we were looking for somewhere new.

Red27, we have always rented a chalet from Ski World for the week and some guys go home early if they have to. We always travel independently so pay a price for the chalet that we split between the group regardless of length of stay.

While I've not been to Chamonix some of the guys have and the problems of non linked ski areas put us off a bit. Some of the guys overdo the refreshment and need to catch up later so not being able to get lost is actually quite important.

Saalbach looks interesting. We are also discussing Mayrhofen as some of us know it quite well.

Thanks for your help.

Of to catch my flight home from La Clusaz. Just had 3 days sun after a huge dump Friday night. Saturday was a powder day to savour for a long time! (Apres in La Clusaz is pretty rubbish though!).
latest report
Even if you've had three weeks in Anton, I bet you haven't skied all of it - you've got Lech/Zurs/Sonnenkopf etc too, and with a guide/guidebook there's huge amounts of offpsite that you wouldn't otherwise know about.

Saalbach is fun too though, and a really cool resort. I'm not sure it's in quite the same league for offpiste, but I'd still recomend it.
snow report
Ischgl!
latest report
Ischgl -You know it makes sense.
snow report
On our boys trips we've recently done Zermatt and Soll.

Zermatt was awesome, great ski area, nice town, good apres after the slops and has a fantastic club under Paperla Pub (schneewithcen I think) that really rocks until the early hours.

Soll was good for apres but a bit crap for the ski area.

I'd deffo reccomend Zermatt.
ski holidays
Bulgaria, Andorra?
ski holidays
clarky999, agreed that there are bits of off piste we haven't skied at St Anton but given our increasing age and decreasing fitness we find cruising alot easier these days! But we have definitely been to all the bars in town (and most of those up the mountain) and have got to the stage of re-running previous experiences which never quite seem to live up to one's memory of the time before (probably another age issue!) so just wanted to try somewhere we haven't been to. After all - there are alot of places out there.

ish303, Zermatt is an interesting idea and I've never been there so it would be new for me too (and given that I have to organise the thing I have to have some excitement).

St Anton, Bulgaria?? you're having a laugh right? I went to Borovets as a beginner and the ski area only just catered for me then. I admit it was some years ago but has it really changed that much?

Andorra is an interesting shout though if I could find accommodation of the right standard. The guys like their creature comforts and price is some way down their list of considerations. After all, one of our Tour rules is "if you want to save money - don't go!"
ski holidays
Tiger2, I wouldn't recommend Andorra for a boys trip not for the standard of skiers that you appear to be.
ski holidays
Tiger2, Ischgl again and you can say to the lads "if you want to save money - don't go!"

You will find the creature comforts you wish for! Enjoy
snow conditions
If money's not the problem, deffo go to Ischgl! The closest you'll get to Ibiza on a mountain. And there's a strip club under the BurgerKing!
snow conditions
Quote:

And there's a strip club under the BurgerKing!

It's called "The Insider." Shocked And they will be delighted to relieve you of all that burdensome money. There's also one in the Trofana centre although I prefer to think of them as high class gentlemen's emporiums. €42 for a JD & Coke & a Gin & Tonic last year. Off there in four weeks - think I'll stick to the bars.
ski holidays
Quote:

If money's not the problem, deffo go to Ischgl!

Quote:

€42 for a JD & Coke & a Gin & Tonic last year.

While money might not be a problem being ripped off definitely is! Anyway, I'm not sure some of our group wouldn't get more excited about the Burger King than the strip club at their age Toofy Grin
latest report
Ischgl night life is expensive but if you take clubbing seriously it's v.good - it has a Pascha which is obviously quality if you don't mind handing over fistfuls of Euros.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Were just back from 4 night trip to Mayrhofen (8 "boys" in their mid forties). Can't be beat. Beer at 3.20 a pint. You won't get that in St A.

I am a fan of St Anton, I just can't afford to drink beer there anymore.
snow report
Ghost Dog, thinking of Mayrhofen for the shortlist. Where did you stay for 4 days?
snow report
Quote:

Were just back from 4 night trip to Mayrhofen (8 "boys" in their mid forties). Can't be beat. Beer at 3.20 a pint. You won't get that in St A.

You will in Cuba, espesh at 4-6pm weekday happy hour.
ski holidays
Ischgl, Saalbach, Solden..........

IMHO Ischgl best for apres, skiing on and off piste, best snow record (except glacier at Solden) and the most expensive.

Solden cheapest by a fair way.... banging apres on and off the mountain.... decent skiing but a bit disjointed

Saalbach.... banging apres, decent skiing but can get slushy on south facing side of the valley cos its quite low compared to the other two

not too easy these days to get accom other than sat to sat but can manage it. Got back from Solden yesterday (Sun to Thurs).... stayed in WildSpitze on main drag... sound place....

Ischgl have stayed in the Elizabeth this year (Thurs to Mon) and Kastle in the past (Sat to Wed) and a few others which I just can't recall the names off but thats what a few days in Ischgl does to the memory!
snow report
red 27, We book a chalet from Saturday, fly out Fri pm and stay in the valley somewhere, and then ski Sat - Weds flying home weds. Because we a re regulars in January they reduce the price commensurately after 10 years
snow report
I just got back from my second lads weekend in Chatel, PdS. Cant fault it in anyway. We flew out on wednesday morning at 6.20am, arrived geneva at 9am. drove to Chatel, landed in apartment around 11am, crossed road to lift and we were boarding at 11.30. we are all between 36 and 42 (me) and we booked 3 aprtments with a total of 8 rooms (one room each, we like our space and hate sharing with a snorer). The flight cost was £80, the total cost of the apartments was 160 euro each for a week although we only stayed 3 nights and two people carriers was £55 each.
Chatel has a fantastic but yet very empty ski area although a lot of drags for the boarders. You can easily ski right round the PdS to take in avoriaz, morzine, morgine, champoussey and many others. There is so much skiing you could stay for a month and still want more.

There are several really good bars that do great apri ski and a couple that stay open very late and are very lively as well as one near our apartment that has a pool table, great pizzas and stays open "as long as you buy beer". There is one fantastic top quality restaurant we go to almost every night and dozens of others as well.

The main thing on ski weekends fo me is to have a short journey, why go for a 4 day ski weekend and spend 2 days travelling. chatel is so easy to get to, we ski from 11am on the first day and then we ski until 4pm on the last day and get an 8PM flight home. If you have a car you can easily drive 10 mins to the other resorts and cut out the drags in chatel, we only did that once but it is so easy. The whole area is linked but the cars just make it better.

Chatel is a total gem that nobody really knows about and you should definitely try it.
snow conditions
Mountain Haddock, Thanks
mheadbee, were you on the PdS/Linga bubble side or the south facing 'Chatel' slopes? I've seen the latter bare brown so many times in Jan which has always put me off the place
snow report
We were in petit chatel. We drove to linga one day and then on a second day wound up there and got the bus home.
This is my second trip to chatel around the 26-27th Jan and on both occasions had powder up to my knees. The beauty is that if you do have bad snow you can drive to linga in 10 minutes.
snow report
Stayed in the Hotel Garni Glockenstuhl. Very nice, not too far to the Penkenbahn. Breakfast excellent, rolls, cereal, ham, chees, scambled eggs and coffee. Was about 46 euro a night. We usually say in an appartment that works out about 30 euro a night, but probably go back to that hotel next year (if we don't go to Ischgl).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy