Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Really thicko technical question...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for this. I clearly don't pay any attention when technicians adjust my skis!

How do I change my DIN thingy? According to the helpful EB chap at the Snowdome last night mine should be 6.5 but at the moment they are 5-ish.

Is it just the big screw at the front (turns tool box inside out looking for big screwdriver)? Is there something I need to adjust at the back too?

And finally, is all this really necessary or does it not make much of a difference?

Thanks (hanging head in shame at lack of knowledge) Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, do you find that your bindings are releasing too easily? Because if your skis are coming off when you really don't want them to, then yes, you need to up the setting. If this is not the case, I would just leave them as they are...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There should be a big screw at the front and at the back which you just turn to adjust the DIN. I don't know what your build or bsl is but having read a description of what you like to ski and the fact that you are a woman (women are generally lighter and shorter) I would have thought that a din of 5ish would be better suited to you anyway. Use to http://www.dinsetting.com/ to check. It is important to have it set right for you else it will prelease when you don't want it to or not come off when you crash.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jo225, I've only used them indoors and they've never come undone. I'm not someone who falls over much (once I think in 3 trips and numerous visits to snowdomes) so maybe I just leave them as they are at the mo and if they fall off at any point I could take them to a shop in resort and get them adjusted.

Thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rambotion, I'm not light or short sadly, lol! Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rambotion, P.S. that helpful link you posted also came up with a response of 6.5 for me. The EB chap wasn't telling porkies!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia, in view of your comments above, possibly you should continue to rely on someone who knows what he's doing. Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, Laughing

I can use the contents of my tool box, but significant guidance needed. There needs to be a Haynes manual for skis I think! Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, but the chart is only a guide. I have my bindings set higher than the chart (as I've suffered from pre-release) you may prefer yours set lower for the sake of safety if you've never had them pop off when you were doing your normal skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having a binding set lower doesnt mean it safer. According to the DIN norm the din setting should be set according to you height, age, weight, abiltiy and boot sole length. Also depending on what binding you have there could toe height and wing adjustment and certainly forward pressure adjustments that must be correct for the binding to function in it intended range of use. In theory a binding should be adjusted by a qualified technician and then function tested to ensure that it is working within one of two specific ranges. If the binding fails the initial function test then a technician may adjust the binding din up or down to bring it into an inspection range. If you have had this done it might explain why your din is 6.5 but the binding has been reduced to 5...ish. There are basic test such as the clean v lubricated test that techs use to assess the basic return to center function of a binding so as Lizzard points out it probably best that you dont perform binding adjustments yourself.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia, mine are lower than they're "supposed" to be, too. when I have bought new skis and asked for them to be set lower than the manual says, I usually sign a disclaimer, so if I get killed because my skis have pre-released skiing down some extreme couloir, I can't blame them!

I am a far from aggressive skier and my skis never release when I don't want them to - in anything other than a very minor sort of fall I want them to come off, thanks. My knees are not in top nick (partly because of an injury when hired skis didn't release in quite a bad fall, in Aviemore 20 years ago, hence my concern).

Mine are set on 4. I'm around 10 stone in all my gear, I guess. If yours don't come off, I wouldn't touch them, personally.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski4life, I bought the skis from sarah who I believe had them set up by spyderjon. Having now conversed with her, I'm going to leave them well alone. I'm a similar height and weight to her and probably a similar level skier too. So judging by all previous posts and pam w's experiences, the DIN settings are probably bang on the money.

Thanks everyone.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, no spyderjon didn't set them up, they were done at the time of purchase. They have been to Jon's though when I did the tuning course, but I don't recall him adjusting them. Having said that he is close to you so if you want them bench testing to be sure you know where to go Very Happy

pam w, I subscribe to your views on binding settings, couldn't have put it better myself, that's why these were set to 5 ish rather than 6.5 Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks sarah, I knew you had been to see spyderjon at some point and he is not far away if I need more help. The skis feel fantastic at the moment though so I'm going to leave well alone for now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy