Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Ski Length?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Ive been skiing a couple of times now so has the GF, but last year she had some skis that were about 4 inches shorter than the ones she was originally given and she said it was loads better, i think one pair went up to her chin, but the shorter pair went up to her arm pits...

Now im going away in 3 weeks, should i get shorter skis? Whats the reasoning behind this and what length should we be looking at?

Do shorter ones makes you go faster/easier to control/easier to move what?

Any help is great thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Up to arm pits is a bit short but it will make them easier to manoeuvre, therefore easier to learn on. You would normally look for skis between chin and nose height-ish. Longer skis will be more stable when you're skiing faster. You can always change your skis after a day or so if you think they're too short/long and try another length.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah its just as we are having a chalet and having them brought to us, would be easier to have a bash starting.

any others tips?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What sort of skiing do you want to do, and how tall/heavy are you?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
one thing i found by starting off on shorter than normal is yes, you get on harder slopes faster, but i found i developed some bad techniques as i could "cheat" by getting myself into and out of trouble as they were so manaouvreable. Now im trying off piste Im having to learn to ski longer skis which arent as easy to "cheat" on. Armpit sounds like a very cheatble elngth. Guess it depends where you and GF want to go with your skiing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
im 5"10 12 stone, gf is like 5"5 and i dont know how heavy, size 10, so average/small?
skiing all piste. blue to black.

how do you mean cheating? why not wear short off piste?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sarny, you'd tend to sink off-piste, on short skis. However, skis are different - some are designed to be skied shorter than others. Armpit length sounds very short though, unless they are specifically short skis. Why not ask your instructor what he/she would recommend?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Start with about 170cm and ask your instructor for advice on going longer/shorter. Same for GF, but start her on 155-160cm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy