Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots to go with my Flows

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My old Salomon Synapse are getting a bit tired (well actually I'd admit that they would probably do another trip or two, but i haven't bought any boarding kit for ages!) and so I'm looking at new boots.

The Salomon F24 look like they're the right shape to work well with Flows, as are the Vans Fargo. The Fargo have an obvious external tie point that looks as if it should give good heel grip, but the Salomons don't have that and i have sometimes suffered a bit of heel lift with my Synapse.

32s seem well made but the TM Two seems to be too bulky over the instep to fit well with Flows and the Prospect seems the best in their range as far as Flow-compatability goes.

Some of the Flow boots look good but no shop seems to stock them.

So the question is, for those of you that use Flows, what boots do you wear? What would you buy if you were getting some this year? Any recommendations?

Am i completely wrong about assuming that some of the bulkier boots won't work so well with Flows?

(it goes without saying that the fit on my foot is also paramount, but I'm just getting myself a shortlist)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wear Saloman dialogues, they fit me well and the flows, and i've not had any probs but then again I haven't tried anything else with my flows.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same here, I have a pair of Salomon Dialogues I got back in 2000. They are well worn now like you Tony, could do 2 more seasons, I am tempted by the new boots as It looks like they have been some developments over the last few years and it's the only bit of kit left for me to replace. rolling eyes

I would choose flow boots for obvious reasons but never seen a stockist in the UK.

Sounds like a bit of research is required Tony!!!! Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Tony

There seems to be a bit of a pattern developing here....I too find that my Salomon Dialogues (2002/2003) season, work well with my Flows (Aluminium FL11's from way back and newly acquired Team 04/05). I also have a pair of Northwave Boa Quests, not as good a fit as the Dialogues, in both foot fit (need to mould the liner beofre I can make a true comparison) and Flow fit (only cost me £60 quid though & brand new). Another positive thing about the dialogues is that my heel is very firmly locked in place. If I were buying this year, I'd definately check out the Dialogues, but I'd also take my board & bindings along and try them in the shop with as many different pairs of boots as possible. Haven't tried Flow boots, so can't comment.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Add one more piece to the puzzle Shocked Salomon Synapse and New Flow FSPro bindings! The same issue, the Salomons are getting a we bit too soft for my taste but they'll last this season as I can barely ride, let alone with any balls. The one prob I did find was that the rear foot, once the binding and the boot were damp (warm conditions and/or hot feet) it was difficult to get them to slide in fully. I'm also thinking of modding mine with some toestrap ratchets to make adjusting them a possibility rather than just a pain in the butt.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey Masque, let me know how you get on with the mod, pics would be good too Madeye-Smiley

Easier adjustability would be a godsend (even when I think I've got mine just right...I haven't). I was once thinking that ratchets on one side (toe & instep) of each binding would be good...kind of negates the appeal of FLOWS though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tony Lane, do let us know the results of your ultimate shortlist won't you?

I am riding my Flows (FL39s from 2001) with an ancient pair of Airwalk Freerides (1996), and I really need some new boots. My problem is that because I bought the Flows to go with the boots I already had they are too small to accommodate modern boots which all seem to be much higher volume than my old Freerides. So I am on the lookout for a low volume stiff boot that won't necessitate buying new bindings, I have heard that Flow boots are low volume and fit well in Flow bindings as you might expect but they are hard to track down.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi guys. I ended up getting a pair of Vans BFB (as in "Best **cking Boot"), which I love.

The Salomon F24 felt stiff and gripped the heel well but they have such low bulk that they actually rattle around inside my Flow bindings. playdreamer, if your Flows are smaller, maybe the F24 could be the answer.

The Vans BFB are super comfy, reasonably stiff without being too stiff, and just seem to be perfect for me. They fit well with the Flows as well, of course.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tony, how much did you pay and where did you get them? Sounds good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
paid full retail price in Ellis Brigham / The Snowboard Asylum in Covent Garden - £160 i think. The guy that served me spent ages making sure I was happy and he was willing to stand around talking about boarding for ages while the heat moulded inners moulded to my feet. Good service.

He told me that he was soon to be off to do a season in Tignes and then, bizarrely, as we were leaving our Tignes apartment in January he turned up as one of the pair of people to clean the apartment! (he spent some time lusting after the six 2006 Burton boards stacked up in the hallway!)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
The Salomon F24 felt stiff and gripped the heel well but they have such low bulk that they actually rattle around inside my Flow bindings. playdreamer, if your Flows are smaller, maybe the F24 could be the answer.

Well, I finally tracked down a pair in my size and yes they are super low volume, barely larger than my ancient Freerides. I Had them heat moulded, what luxury. I am delighted with them, very comfy, good and stiff, easy to get on and off and, best of all, I can continue to ride my non-wide board without toe drag because of the low volume even in size 30 boots (I also ended up getting new bindings - the sales were on - but that's another thread).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
playdreamer, cool, always good to hear that someone's happy after splashing the cash!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy