Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet fit ? (Adult v Junior)

Poster: A snowHead
After a few hours of trying on helmets we found that a junior helmet fitted my wife better than the adult model (Giro G9) working on the the basis that a better fit is safer than one where the helmet doesn't.

Does anyone know what criteria is used to determine the difference between Adults/Juniors in helmet manufacturer ?

At what weight.height does a Junior become an Adult ?

I'm not trying to save money, just to ensure that the helmet fits correctly and will protect her head. (couldn't face doing my own ironing, cooking etc).

Your views/thoughts please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ski in a kids helmet under the theory that it fits better!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My wife and I bought helmets at the same shop (my wife bouht a childs helmet) the very helpful guy at the shop explained, and it seem sensible, that fit is the most important given that if you don't wear it then it won't help. And also pointed out that they are made to the same standard - nobody would buy a poor lid just for a child.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just bought a childs helmet after trying on countless expensive adult ones in the big ski shops - the childs one fits far better than all those I tried on - and probably no VAT!!.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Led, a friend of mine has just bought a child sized helmet (she's only 4'9" bless her). If your head is rattling around inside the helmet because it doesn't fit, it will offer very little protection. Instead of the helmet absorbing any impact, with room to move you will just head butt your helmet.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Some helmets offer better protection than others. The ones sold here will satisfy European standards and may well satisfy more stringent N.American standards too. I believe that bigger helmets are manufactured to deal safely with greater impacts but of course this won't help you if the helmet doesn't fit in the first place, so ultimately it's still down to finding one that fits. It will be the size it is and presumably won't matter if it's designed for kids or adults.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crikey!!! 6 consecutive sensible posts on a 'helmet' thread - Snowheads.........friends............we must be slipping!! Shocked

And if we are, I hope we are wearing our helmets!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Actually, I was going to ask a sensible question too, perhaps I might be permitted to add it to this thread? Could someone please tell me where in London has the best selection of helmets to try? I need a new one, and it will make a change to have one that actually fits: therefore need to try on as many as possible. Thanks.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski Bartlett in Hillingdon has a wide choice but couldn't say if it's the best in London as I don't know the other shops.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
slikedges, thanks, but I was hoping for somewhere a little more central. Say within Zone 2.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, do you turn into a pumpkin if you stray outside? NehNeh
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just bought a youth helmet (Scott Shadow III Youth, size medium) because it was the only one that fitted well, having tried all the ones in both S&N and EB. It cost £40 from EB. Also it weighs only 400g (actually a shade under), which is great considering S&N charge £239 for one largely because fancy technology has managed them to reduce the weight to "only" 500g.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, I come from Middlesex - and am rather pleased not to be living there any more. NehNeh I am not about to spend at least an hour, probably more, getting to a place which may or may not (according to you) have a better selection than a shop in central London. If that's OK. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
slikedges, I come from Middlesex - and am rather pleased not to be living there any more

Ewwwwww wink Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
anotherproblem, quite. And I must admit that Greenford is even more ewwww-inducing than Hillingdon. Laughing
ski holidays
You could do worse than going to Decathlon. The one I know is in Canada Water, not central London but easily accessible on the Jubilee line and there are other stores around the country
snow conditions
tafflondon, thanks, I've just been looking them up online for the very purpose. Canada Water is fine - perfectly accessible for me.
ski holidays
Reverse situation in our household. The kids use adult ski and cycle helmets.

Bunch of big heads Embarassed
latest report
stoatsbrother, I had that problem throughout my childhood, on account of my bloody massive head Laughing
snow report
Hurtle,
Quote:

I come from Middlesex

Ahhhh...explains a lot wink

I would guess that not many places in the UK will have the selection that Bartlett has, though they are a race orientated shop, so a fair amount of their stuff will be of that vein, so no guarantees even if you do eventually decide to hire a guide and visit the ungroomed.
snow conditions
Led, I had to buy a junior helmet to get the right fit, according to the staff in the shop, it is exactly the same spec as the adult ones. As they are also meant to protect you from other skiers/boarders and not just falls, I can’t see the age of the user having any bearing on the helmet structure, unless you are talking about helmets aimed at toddlers who wouldn’t be in contact with skiers/boarders going at speed in the first place.

A 12 year old boy would hit the ground far harder than I would, if they are anything like my kids where at 12, so it surely wouldn't be safe to make them a different spec because they are junior sized.
ski holidays
slikedges,
Quote:

visit the ungroomed
You mean Hillingdon? wink
ski holidays
Hurtle, that's what I meant Very Happy (maybe I should have said "greater ungroomed" or ungroomed suburbs"!)
snow conditions
Hurtle, slikedges, and of course not forgetting that in the past our very own rob@rar has refered to SkiBartlett as 'is my favourite shop in the world'
ski holidays
Led, as far as I am aware Junior Ski helemts are the same spec as adult ones, as a test measure around the outside of different sizes of the same helmet. If they are the same then its internal volume that dictates the size.

However there is a difference between child sizes and Junior models, so only apply the above to small adults and junior sizes.
snow report
Well after so many good reports of Bartlett's we paid them a visit last Saturday and was very impressed to say the least, greta choice and very helpful staff.

The young lady who helped us was more focused on fit and comfort, we both came away with helmets after nearly 3 hours and probably trying on every helmet on the shop !!

Would I recommend them - YES I would, S&R would do themselves a favour if they popped over there as a punter.

Will be doing more visits in the future.

Cool rolling eyes
latest report
Yep I bought a kids helmet, 'Head' Joker XS. Its really cool and comes with stickers. Toofy Grin

Only problem now is where or how do I get a snowHead sticker for it. I've messaged admin but its still sitting in my outbox. Any ideas Puzzled
latest report
youngeratheart, try this
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Should just add that we went to Bartlett's recently as well and had very good service and came away with three well fitting children's race helmets of different sizes and shapes. I suspect we couldn't've done that anywhere else in the country.
ski holidays
anotherproblem, Yeah ssen it but they tease you with pics, but no link for stickers, I'll pm Michelle later to see if she can sort it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy