Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Red Ski Jackets

Poster: A snowHead
Is it ok (cool) to wear red ski jackets??

I have been skiing few time before and remember that the instructors wear red, well in the french alps, which is where I have been before and am booked to go again this xmas. Puzzled . Is weraring a red jacket going to be a problem, or am I goin to look stupid?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wanda?, hi and welcome to snowHead.

don't worry about something like this. wear whatever colour jacket you want to on the slopes. everyone does. also, different ski/snowboard schools use different uniforms (and therefore in different colours) in france.

enjoy your holiday!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you haven't got a chain of 12 kiddies following you across every inch of the piste and a gauloise hanging from your lips then you don't have to worry about being mistaken for an ESF instructor wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think it is ideal to have a red jacket as you will be more visible to other skiiers.

Why would anyone buy a white jacket..I was amazed to see so many on sale last year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went for a red jacket as I often ski in pretty bad weather and in a group it's much better to stand out fromn the surroundings... especially if you crash with people coming down fast behind you. Unless you have it covered in badges no one will mistake you for an instructor.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a red jacket, and there is no way anyone would confuse me with an instructor Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I always seem to end up with red jackets, just bought another one.
Quote:

probably not then Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a white jacket and white pants... Apparently that's reallly dodgy (although in my defence, I don't wear them together). Nobody has ever had any problems missing me rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Why would anyone buy a white jacket

Why not? I rather like mine. It's a swine to keep clean, mind.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've worn red jackets and I have actually have had someone hand me their lesson voucher! Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got 2, it was 3 until some scrote broke into my car and nicked it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bought a red one thinking it might be better in a total whiteout than my old mostly black one. You know a good whiteout when you can't see the person snowploughing back to safety right next to you (had that in Mayrhofen once). The first day I wore it, it seemed 80% of the skiers were wearing red jacket, black hat+pants.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I just got new Red Pants for this season, first time out of yellow pants in over 25 years

Is Red the new Yellow or am i just way behind the times wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Red is cool - my wife insisted on buying white despite strongly advising against it. She now realises her mistake...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wanda? wrote:

Absolutely not! Red is only for people who can make perfect end to end carving turns all the way down through icy red course. Same goes for blue and black, and white... well white is for those who don't want to be seen laying on snow... kinda camouflage thing Wink
snow report
Nope, red jackets aren't cool IMHO. It started as being the default instructor colour, although many ski schools now have different colours the red/uncool think has stuck for some reason.
snow conditions
sherlock235 wrote:
Wanda?, hi and welcome to snowHead.

don't worry about something like this. wear whatever colour jacket you want to on the slopes. everyone does. also, different ski/snowboard schools use different uniforms (and therefore in different colours) in france.

enjoy your holiday!

Agreed, don't waste time worrying about the colour red, there will be far worse colours/sights on the pistes Very Happy
snow report
Wanda?, Hi, welcome to snowHead
You've come to the right place to get fashion advice.
Definitley not red. NehNeh
I wear all black but I am SO cool Cool
Ladies look good in lighter colours. Russian ladies look good in white and diamante, then again they look good in anything or nothing. Shocked
snow report
jonm wrote:
Quote:

Why would anyone buy a white jacket

Why not? I rather like mine. It's a swine to keep clean, mind.

I have a white jacket, and like the look, but as Jonm says , hard to keep clean. If conditions are bad, I wear my black jacket, simple.

Red is fine, multi colour ski suits now that is not cool.
ski holidays
Any color that contrast well with snow and rock, and has a recco reflector just in case. Personal preference after that.
latest report
twoodwar wrote:
and has a recco reflector just in case.

The only thing a Recco reflector is good for is finding a dead body.
snow conditions
And with red jackets you can actually be made out in your mates off piste photos rolling eyes
snow report
Scarpa, and piste patrollers are often not in red, but i have seen them in black - just before they dove in and stole my powder line <sigh>. Dont often see instructors off piste.
ski holidays
Piste patrol tend to have big backpacks with gear dangling off too.
ski holidays
Quote:

Dont often see instructors off piste.

No, I was wondering about that - you do see them doing lessons off piste (near the piste) though. Maybe they don't wear uniform on days off when they do a lot of off piste - can think of a whole stack of reasons why they'd rather be in civvies.

Red jackets are fine - probably the most popular single colour. The ones with white stripes similar to ESF ones are good to avoid, though. You're sitting on a chairlift (and I always try to watch instructors skiing when I'm on chairlifts) and you think "Wow, that instructor doesn't look that good. I can do as well as that" then as you get closer you realise it's not an instructor at all. Personally, I'd prefer to avoid looking like I'm trying to look like an instructor. But in an all red jacket, or red and black etc, you won't.

Welcome to Snowheads, Wanda?, snowHead Have a great trip at Christmas. Where're you going?
latest report
Thanks all for your comments. Think I will keep the jacket, it was a TKM bargin, it does has a bit of white detail on it but hoping it will not look like strips!!

I am going to Les Deux Alps and really excited, i will be the third time I have been skiing but has been awhile so thinking I should get some lesson. My plan was to get a private lesson with my partner on the first day for an hour or two, is this a good idea??

Thank again
ski holidays
A red jacket? OMG, LOL, ROFL, WOOT!
snow conditions
Wanda?, I wear a red jacket. But then I don't care if I look stupid - I know my stupidity is so difficult to disguise it is not worth the effort trying to do so.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

probably the most popular single colour

Is as good a reason as any to avoid it
latest report
Quote:

My plan was to get a private lesson with my partner on the first day for an hour or two, is this a good idea??

Yes, a very good idea, and an even better one would be to contact Charlotte Swift (easiski.com) who is a Snowhead and an independent ski instructor working in Les Deux alpes. There are quite a few of us who can testify to her effectiveness as a teacher - she spots your faults in about 5 seconds then gives you good ways to try to correct them.

Good decision on the jacket. wink
snow report
Wanda?, there are many more important things than jacket colour to stress over.
snow report
Wanda?, I jest about the jacket, I'm sure you'll look great. And yes, it's a good idea to have lessons. Make sure they are at the beginning of the week so you can practice what you have been taught Smile
snow conditions
Red is the new black. You chose well.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:

Helmet or beanie Puzzled , sunglasses or goggles Puzzled snow chains/ winter tyres Puzzled
snow report
Lechbob wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Helmet or beanie Puzzled , sunglasses or goggles Puzzled snow chains/ winter tyres Puzzled

And many other decisions...
ski holidays
I would have got a black version of mine but imagine the heat on a sunny spring day Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy