Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes to La Thuile OR Turin

Poster: A snowHead
I'm staying in Tignes until early April, then meeting up with friends for a pre-booked holiday in La Thuile. I'm hoping not have to take my car, so I need to sort out a way of getting from Tignes to catch up with my holiday bound friends, and I have one of two options:

Option 1: travel directly betweeen Tignes and La Thuile.

Option 2: travel from Tignes to Turin airport and catch the transfer coach from there with the rest of my party.

Now, I've spent pretty much all night researching this and can't seem to find a clear method of sorting it out. I don't know if its the France - Italy thing, or the fact that there's some bloody great big mountains in the way, but the direct journey by bus or train from Tignes or Bourg St. Maurice to La Thuile seems to be a bit of a mission. And my only solution for option 2 so far has been to find a taxi firm to take me from Tignes to Turin for over 600 euros, so obviously that's not ideal!

Can anyone offer any advice? Please!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

or the fact that there's some bloody great big mountains in the way,

You got it!! In summer you can go over the Petit (or is it Grand, I always mix them up!) St Bernard Pass. However this is not an option by road in winter/spring....Which means that it is indeed a more epic journey. It is still do-able though. We once drove from Turin airport to Tignes via the Frejus Tunnel and Albertville, which took a few hours (3-ish??) but is an ok drive, all on motorway. It's all motorway if you drive to La Thuile as well. Why not just take your car?

If not, as La Rosiere ski area (France) connects with La Thuile (Italy), an alternative could be:

Drive up to La Rosiere and leave the car there.
Pack a week's gear/clothes into a backpack.
Ski/board up and over to La Thuile.
Reverse route after your hol.

Easy peasy!

The only gamble would be that the connections are open. No good if you ended up stuck in La Rosiere - or La Thuile with your car in La Rosiere Shocked .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dav, train from Bourg to Chambery. Train from Chambery to Turin, bus to airport, catch up with mates at airport.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can get from Tignes to Chamonix, then it would be a relatively simple case of two buses to get to La Thuile. One through the tunnel to Courmayeur, then another from Courmayeur up to La Thuile.

It's the Tignes to Chamonix bit I have no idea about, but via the Mont Blanc tunnel strikes me as the most direct route (in winter).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict, thanks, I think you've confirmed what I was thinking in terms of great big mountains!

I'd like to not take the car as I'm just not currently prepared for it (snow chains, all that business) so the costs would perhaps outweight the transport costs down there and then getting between resorts. Plus I'm in Tignes for 4 weeks and La Thuile for 1 week so would have to sort parking for then (although I'm aware there'sfree parking available in places).

I know the route between the resorts may be pretty convoluted but I do have time; I check out of my apartment in Tignes on Saturday and the holiday hotel doesn't begin until Sunday so I'd be looking for a one night hotel stay anyway.

Helen Beaumont, queen bodecia, many thanks, I'll look into it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dav, PM Christopher, I think he may be making a similar journey, as he is going from Les Arcs )?) to Serre Chevalier in March, but getting off the train in Italy at Oulx instead of Turin .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blimey; who'd have thought it would be this much effort to get to somewhere only 30 miles away!

Anyone got a helicopter I can borrow?......

Edit: Helen, will do, thanks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dav, that's the ludicrous thing! Looking at Tignes and La Thuile on google maps and it's not far at all as the crow flies. But other than a transfer to Geneva, then another to Chamonix, then two buses to La Thuile, or train from Bourg to Aosta via Chambery and Turin, it doesn't look easy in winter.

Wonder if any hardcore ski touring people have managed a journey like that on skis?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You've be warned it's not a short journey for 30 miles as the crow flies. Its going to take half a day. Surprinsingly there are 3000 metres in the way. When are you going? I've also been to Turin airport many a time, but never had to use public transport to get from the centre to the airport.

By public transport it involves:

Bus or taxi down the mountain to Bourg st. Maurice (30mins).

Train to Chambery from Bourg st. Maurice, they are fairly frequent (1 hour 45).

Train from Chambery to Turin (2 hours 30 at quickest).

Bus from Turin Porta Nouva station to the airport (half an hour)

The websites for the trains are: http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ Turin airport buses: http://www.aeroportoditorino.it/EN/aeroporto/default.php?opt=bus

I'm personally having a morning's skiing in the Espace Killy followed by getting the bus down to Bourg st. Maurice in the afternoon. Getting the 15:05 TGV from Bourg st. Maurice to Chambery. Then I've got a 1 hour 45min wait in Chambery for the (Paris - Turin) TGV, which leaves at 18:26. You'd be in Turin for 21:00 if you did the same. Then you'd be able to stay in a hotel overnight in Turin, get the bus to Turin airport in the morning and then you can get on your transfer bus to La Thuile. If it was me thats what I would do, although it being pretty epic.

Not thought about being cheeky and getting a lift pass for the Espace San Bernardo at La Rosiere and trying to get your bags on the lifts to get to La Thuile? Not sure if the lifties would allow it though. It would be much quicker.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd be tempted to borrow a big backpack, park in Bourg or La Ros and ski over to La Thuile. Seems to be the cheapest and easiest option.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, I'm spending my first week in Les Arcs, second week in Val d'Isere and third in Serre Chevalier.

rob@rar, The question is would you be allowed a suitcase on a chairlift?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Christopher, three weeks !! Lucky you, mine has been cut to two due to a big family occasion.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many thanks to all; Christopher I've also PM'd you back. Looks like I'll take the Tignes-Bourg-Chambery-Turin option! I have an extra day to kill between booked accommodations, so while the La Rosiere to la Thuile ski across is quite tempting, I think I'll probably go for the lower risk approach....

Again, thanks to all for the advice. Can't wait now, my ski season has just come alive. 10 days in Les Gets, home for 5 days then out to Tignes for 4 weeks and La Thuile for 1 week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, Ahh but the original plan was to work a season. I didn't do aswell as I'd hoped in my A-Levels so I'm currently retaking exams and couldn't do a season. So its kind of a mini season/enlongated holiday.

I have 3 weeks holiday to take at work before April. It wasn' a tough decision how to spend it.

You still going to be out for the week of the 20th March?

Not that I have been to La Rosiere in winter, but I thought you had to use a draglift and a bad one at that to get from La Rosiere to La Thuile. Puts the adentorous idea out the picture.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christopher, just a bit of a delay, we'll probably arrive about 22nd I think.
snow report
Pack kit for week.
Get bus from Tignes to Seez.
Get bus from Seez to Rosiere. Buy week pass for Grand Bernard.
Ski over to Thuile.
ski holidays
1. Check weather
2. Ski it
ski holidays
3. Put soundtrack for Mission Impossible on the iPod and turn up LOUD ... snowHead
ski holidays
4. Point finger out and make gun noises while shooting snowboarders
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy