Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Gervais at New Year

Poster: A snowHead
First time doing a family ski trip by car, and apart from awful traffic around Geneva on the way out and Reims on the way back (plus some smaller queues) the journey was fine. Chunnel on Christmas Day was deserted although the M25 was surprisingly busy.

Stayed at the Grand Panorama apartments, booked through Peak Retreats. Can't complain about anything, really. A guy at reception even books ski lessons, lift passes, ski hire etc. And it's next to the main cable car to Le Betex, the "hub" of the resort.

It wasn't cold. Probablu 0 to 2 degrees for much of the week. Indeed it rained quite a bit in St Gervais town, also washing away some decent snow cover in Le Betex. This was really only a problem on one day where it was hard to ski back, unless you know a good technique to ski in slush puppies. The red route to the town had no snow either.

Rain at 1000m of course means snow at 2000m so for those bothering to start in the rain, there was excellent powder at the higher runs and short queues too. And with the mild temperatures and low winds even skiing in falling snow was pleasant.

Main complaint was the cost. Expect to pay 4 to 5 euros for a drink and 10 to 15 for a main course. The "Igloo" on Mt Arbois was a tad cheaper. Best piste resto for atmosphere was Le Boitet on the red run back to Le Betex. It didn't even seem to get busy and had a wonderful wood fire smell to it.

St Gervais ski area could really benefit with some tweaking of lifts. Too much horizontal shuffling around, especially in the connection with St Nicholas. One of those two-way pulley things would be ideal there. Also some better way to connect the two parts of Mt Arbois rather than have to ski half way to Megeve just to avoid a 5 minute walk. Again a pulley thing or a couple of drags is all that's needed.

The town put on a good new year spectacular. Impressive fireworks and an interpretor into English for the mayor's speech. (Which was a bit pompous - he thinks he's saving the world, bless).

Would I go again? Yes, I think so. Not as vast as the Portes du Soleil or the Grand Massif a few miles away but a little cheaper and one of the first resorts you get to from Calais. I'd hire equipment from Le Betex rather than St Gervais town, though. It's more convenient.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would agree with McWulf
Quote:

I'd hire equipment from Le Betex rather than St Gervais town, though. It's more convenient.

that getting equipment at Le Bettex is certainly a good solution as you can then ski immediately except if you want to collect it on Saturday and avoid Sunday morning rush as you need a lift pass to go up there and most people don't want their lift pass to start until Sunday. You can of course drive up to Le Bettex but if there is snow on the road and you haven't got a ski rack or large estate car it's not great.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the info. We're doing exactly the same trip (same apartment) at Feb half term, driving there for the first time (looking at other threads, I'm dreading it).

Did you guys get a local pass or the Evasion one? Is the local one any use? (we're a mixed ability group, adults and kids). Dont like the sound of walking between sections, especially with the kids. Which are the most difficult connections to make?

Also, any tips about the accomodation? Anything special we should pack? Is there a reasonably priced supermarket nearby or should be stock up at home/on the way? And the all important question - do they have coffee makers in the apartments?

Peak Retreats seems to use a ski hire place in town rather than Le Bettex - and as we're planning to arrive midday on Saturday we thought we'd be able to sort out the skis and boots Saturday afternoon without buying a ski pass as XPEAK says.

Any further advice would be most welcome!

Many thanks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apartments at Le Grand Panorama have kettles, electric coffee makers (so pack filters). Ps ski lockers are underground besides parking.
For shopping suggest Carrefour hyper in Sallanches http://www.carrefour.fr/magasin/trouver/?strCP=Code+postal&strLocation=sallanches.
Evasion is best lift pass unless you are beginner. Forget about walking in Megeve. Plenty accessible without taking off your skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
awing, get the evasion Pass. You have to buy St Gervais daily and there is no fun in that as you don't save significant if any money.

I struggle to think of where the connections are that bad - even from St Nic - a slight pole from the top a a drag over to Mont Joux but more than that????????? - although there is a point about the Mont d'arbois to Freddy - mind you, at half term, the runs off Freddty (esp Fenils) are the ones I would be trying to avoid and indeed St Nicolas is going to be by far the quietest sector.......amd Megeve the busiest. You will need to drive/catch a bus to Combloux or Les Contas but the 'local' area should more than keep you busy

if you can, bring food with you/shop at Calais. The supermarkets in st G are EXPENSIVE. The valley is better but still 'mountain economy' and Carrefour is a pain in the butt - too big and too busy. Intermarche at Le Fayet is a much better bet and doesn't take you off your 'best' route'

Anything else? - ask away.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
what are the conditions like at the moment? and is there snow in le fayet? (:
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Conditions were great last week. No snow at Le Fayet, but I wouldn't reallly expect there to be.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the help! Just a couple more questions!

When will be the peak time for traffic getting to the resort? We were thinking of taking the late evening Eurotunnel and driving through the night to arrive around lunchtime.

I know there is a red run back from Le Bettex to St Gervais that seems to be closed - is there any other way to ski back (with kids) or do you have to take the lift?

Is parking OK? We didnt book the underground car park in the apartments as there seems to be a large car park right outside by the main lift.

Had to book 3 PM lessons for the kids with ESF as they were completely full in the mornings and the one recommended by Peak Retreats was full altogether! I guess this means it will be REALLY busy as you say Annie. So St. Nicholas sounds like the best bet, on the first day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Annie, we are going to St G on Saturday (woohooooo!) - we've been there in the summer but had a car, so shopping at the Intermarche was no problem. Not driving this time, so are there any buses down to Le Fayet and back Puzzled One of our group doesn't intend to ski all day every day, so is happy to pop down to the shops for supplies. Merci Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
awing, Good plan re getting there. if I couldn't leave Friday am and stay at Annemasse or somewhere like that. then your way is the way I would do it. Resort traffic should be fine (or as fine as it is going to get) around lunchtime.

Unless there is a mammoth dump between now and half term I can't see "St Gervais red" opening - it only opened for about 3 weeks last year and quite frankly it really wasn't worth the effort then! Afraid the gondola is the only other way but it shouldn't be too horrific after the kids lessons, St Gervais isn't normally a first lift, last lift kind of place and aaround 4pm -5pm is normally the busiest down lift.

There is a big car park right by apartment, it will be busy though esp as this year there is a big 'slag heap' type thing right in the middle of it for only god knows what reason! When you find a space I would do my best not to move it all week!

'traditionally' quieter runs include Marrmire Chenaz Vardasse, clarieres, and arcosses on the St Gervais side. I'll have a quick look at the piste map and come up with a few more likely quieter runs.

Anniepen, Yes, there is a bus - I've got a timetable somewhere I'll dig it out and have a look. If you have a friendly transfer company it might be worth asking nicely if they can stop there on the way in - ours did last week, but it was a Monday not Saturday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm also off to Saint Gervais next week (31-7) woo hoo Very Happy so excited now. Flying to Geneva though....gutted that red run is closed into the town. There seems to be enough snow looking at the webcams though?!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Annie wrote:

Anniepen, Yes, there is a bus - I've got a timetable somewhere I'll dig it out and have a look. If you have a friendly transfer company it might be worth asking nicely if they can stop there on the way in - ours did last week, but it was a Monday not Saturday.

Thanks Very Happy - useful to know about the bus if you can find the timetable, but we'll also ask the transfer driver if a quick stop is possible
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anniepen, timetable is http://www.sat-montblanc.com/fr/lignes_regulieres/PDF/SallanchesContas_Hiver.pdf I haven't used bus other than to le Fayet station but think that there are request stops - best to check with tourist office I think.

awing, Other runs that are likely to be quieter than most include oratoire, combe, schuss, noemie off the top of Mont d'arbois - and of course the blacks voltigeurs and bridans.
Etudiants, rare and rosay - but these are all 'relatively' steep by St Gervais standards. Marmottes off the epaule chair may or may not be - but it's my favourite St Nicolas red.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Annie, Merci beaucoup Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Annie, Merci beaucoup Very Happy
snow conditions
Yes, Merci beaucoup indeed - thanks for all the advice, cant wait to get there!
snow report
Je vous en prie
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy