Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What resort you've been once and don't want to go back?

Poster: A snowHead
Just curious. Different resort for different need. But I can name a few resorts that, although not bad, wasn't good enough to go back again:

- Keystone: a good many of the runs feel the same. It felt like I was skiing the same run over and over again even though I wasn't skiing the same run. Who wants to re-visit a resort that has only one run anyway? Never been back

- Park City: Not bad, just nothing special. In an area of almost 10 fantastic resorts, Park City doesn't stand out at all. Canyon didn't look at great either. But since I can get discount pass due to my friend having season pass there. It's good enough for the price. So I'll go back to Canyons but skip Park City.

- Aspen! Although I had a great time skiing there, it was so expensive I don't think I'll ever WANT to go back. Though I might re-consider if a killer deal can be found.

- Beaver Creek: Another not-so-bad place if nothing special. Again, price is against it and there're other options nearby...

[EDIT]

I should clarify this is a list of resort you would not volunteerily pay to go to again.

Of course, if there's a resort you wouldn't go even if you're paid to do so, by all means. But I doubt there's such a place. (OK, Afganastan would qualify)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 21-09-09 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Borovets, Bulgaria. Went once 20 years ago, with a group of about 15 others, including some beginners. Snow was rubbish, it took best part of an hour to get to anything skiable, infrastructure non-existent, hotel reception was a mecca for prostitutes each evening, and the food the worst I've had anywhere. Never, ever again
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3 Valleys. Went once over a New Year. Horrendously packed, horrendously expensive. Swore I'd never go back. Justified the ESOB trip to Val Thorens this year by saying that we didn't actually make it into VT, we only did Meribel and Courchevel. Well, can't say I'm in any rush to get back to VT either, now.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would go back to any resort anywhere, but I would go to some resorts in preference to others. If there is snow and a mountain then it is fine by me
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beaver Creak, Aspen, Keystone - I would have thought those are high on the list for europeans heading to the other side of the pond

Does not say much for NA then ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
La Rosiere at Easter, potentially a great place, but with the only lower tree lined run shut, nowhere to go in a proper whiteout.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
meribel
travelled all the way to the alps to find myself in Fulham
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would say my worst ever ski holiday was La Plagne. I went there on a post-Uni trip in 1993. The accommodation was awful, essentially six people to a room with one tiny bathroom and two cooking rings. Yes it was cheap, but we all had massive student debt and couldn't afford to eat out, so we lived on bread and crisps from the supermarket. The snow wasn't very good that year so the only lift from the bit we were staying in (Plagne 1800) wasn't running. Which meant getting a bus everywhere carrying all your gear (didn't manage to find any rentable lockers). There was no nightlife whatsoever and the resort felt like a very disjointed 1970s monstrosity. The skiing was very difficult, may partly have been due to patchy snow but I also felt a lot of the runs were over-graded.

I swore I'd never go back to La Plagne, but maybe in a nice hotel in a nicer part of town with better snow, I might enjoy it. It's well out of my price range now though.

I've also stayed in dodgy accommodation in Tignes. Loved the skiing there, but the accommodation was again awful and the nightlife non-existent. This sort of thing can put me off a resort although I went to a nice chalet in Val D'Isère (at an extortionate cost) several years later. Espace Killy is another area where the runs seem very over-graded, even the red runs were too difficult and some of the blues a bit scary.

Haven't been back to France since then.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Probably Obergurgl, very limited skiing when the conditions were poor which was alot, lifts often shut when we were there. The piste marking on the top is virtually non exsistant and I accidently ended up taking my two kids across an off piste section toward a black run thinking we were on a blue.....they were terrified an almost put off for life.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As some replies have already shown, it's difficult to be objective. I didn't like Espace Killy (horrible buildings, moon landscape skiing) but accept that it's to many people's taste - as the 3 Valleys are to mine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
St Wolfgang, mid season snowline above bottom lifts, getting higher every day. Two lifts open, to the beginners slope and a couple of patchy runs. Too warm for the snow cannons and it rained. Mounta1nGoat and I both went down with 'proper' flu so I got to find out how impressive the local hospital was! Town virtually shut down as no Austrians were there due to the lack of snow so no alternative places to eat other than a few hotels all producing the same level of indifferent fare. Like Hurtle another 3V fan.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Courchevel 1850

Having mainly skiied in Austria, we found the prices unbelievable where I almost felt like I was being robbed at every corner (even compared to supposedly expensive resorts like Lech and Zermatt), the apres ski dull and we got food poisoning from a suposedly top noch resturant.

The slopes were good in Courchevel (although we found Meribel icy and dreadful) - but just could not make up for the overall experience.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Courmayeur - but rather like a few comments it was probably a time and place thing - what felt like a limited ski areas for our then standard may now be fine - but for us the whole experience was poor - road through the resort, trying to find parking and then having to walk down a busy road, not being able to ski off the mountain. Only there a day, but that has blighted any thought of returning there - am I missing out now?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Deux Alpes. It gets quite some praise on here from many others, but when we went (late March 2005) it was really hot, most lower runs were shut as the snow had all melted, higher runs were ok but hugely crowded, the lift out of resort in the morning had enormous queues so it took an hour to get from the back of the queue to the top of the mountain. Also, our chalet was very basic for the money paid, and our front door opened onto the spot where seemingly every single dog in resort came to have a morning dump. Which never got cleaned up at all for the whole week.

I am tempted to go back some time just to clarify that it's not as bad as the week we had, but those memories are too fresh and I can't bring myself to do it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Courchevel, Espace Killy, La Plagne, Courmayeur, Meribel, Val Thorens, La Rosiere, Obergurgl, Keystone, Park City, The Canyons.......All slated on here - but I've had a great ski at all of them.

In particular, I really don't understand how could anyone fail to enjoy the 3 Valleys? It's got the lot (off piste, massive mileage cruising, bumps, steeps, trees.....Have I missed anything??) If you can't enjoy skiing there, where do you like?

My philosophy is in total agreement with rayscoops:
Quote:

I would go back to any resort anywhere, but I would go to some resorts in preference to others. If there is snow and a mountain then it is fine by me

God knows what snowHead who don't like the 3 V's would make of the area in Poland that I skied once - one ancient, single person chair and a vertical drop of about 300m. Great snow = great day!!
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
seconded.

I used to go to the snowdome a few times in the summer and really enjoyed it but the last few times (last summer) I just got fed up with it after about 1hr, my feet hurt etc. etc. so the only place I have decided not to go back to where skiing is possible is Xscape! (although I might go for 1 day before my first holiday in December as I won't have skied for 7 months, the longest for a few years NehNeh )
snow report
Dav, you can't write off a resort on the basis of what the weather was like on the week you happened to be there. It's like deciding to emigrate to the UK because you visited one day last year and it was sunny and warm.
ski holidays
Lizzard, like I said, I'm not writing it off, just the bad memories are too fresh for me to want to go back yet. Plus every other time I've been away since I've gone somewhere new and I like to continue to go to places I've not been before, good or otherwise.
latest report
Nope - can't say I've been anywhere I wouldn't go back to again. A mountain, bit of snow - I'm happy snowHead Of course, some places I'd go back to quicker than others...
snow report
First ever ski holiday was Courcheval 1850 second was Bansko - what more can I say!
snow report
Bansko. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
None that I would not go back to. Although I would not choose to go back to Val d'Isere again. It was the clientele rather than the resort that was the problem for me.
snow report
Likewise, I am happy to go back to anywhere with snow. Less inclined towards 3V lately for similar reasons to those already listed.
snow conditions
abc, I like most of the ones you mention - going to PC for a few days this winter so will have to see - but will mainly be at Alta and taking side trips to other resorts...

For me

Breckenridge - a really poor example of what US skiing is about - best used as a place to get to other resorts from.

Marble Mountain - Newfoundland - not bad for a local hill (which it was then for me) for anyone else don't bother.

Schladming and surrounding resorts - too low, too icy, too little to ski.

Tignes may have some great skiing - but is so ugly. When France gets an enema - Tignes is where the nozzle goes.
latest report
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

When France gets an enema - Tignes is where the nozzle goes
That is truly, truly superb. Thank you! (And I agree.)
snow report
Aviemore. Couldn't get the hang of using the wind to lift you over the rocks that divided up the sheets of ice.

Although I might have just had unusually bad weather that time. Still couldn't justify driving 10 hours north to that, when 10 hours in the opposite direction gets me to the Alps.
snow conditions
Quote:

When France gets an enema - Tignes is where the nozzle goes.

in an extraodinary coincidence (because I'd never heard the expression before) someone said to me last night, at a party, that P J O'Rourke had written much the same about Papua New Guinea. So it may be superb, but it's not original. wink
snow conditions
pam w,
Quote:

it's not original
No matter - it was new to me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kuhtai, Austria.

Long flat bits between the steep bits. Only went for the day, but had enough by lunchtime.

Sad
snow report
There is some incredible snobbery and reverse snobbery on here Wink
ski holidays
I loved Kuhtai, steep (nah just a red) bits where you could blast the rollers and access the great between piste powder ;y
ski holidays
I haven't been anywhere I wouldn't go back to though I'd not be in any great hurry to visit Alpbach again. And I would prefer not to back to St Oswald, because although it was a great place for our first family holiday when we were all beginners, the range of skiing would be too small now that we can go a bit further and faster. But I'd happily go back to either if someone else was paying. wink
latest report
I'd quite happily return to Montgenevre and Serre Chevalier and I will be in Janaury.

Its now about striking a balance between discovering new resorts and visiting resorts I already know. I hope to go twice a year in the future, 1 week in Serre Chevalier and a week in somewhere that I haven't been that takes my fancy.
snow report
pam w, I have read most of PJs books up until "Peace Kills" several times - but don't remember that one. Good ideas can be had more than once - but I actually suspect I nicked that from someone else again... But having used that analogy at least twice on snowHeads before I will endeavour to be original in all I post to please you Blush NehNeh

rayscoops, evidence of snobbery please? I see people saying which resorts they dislike, and others disagreeing. And a little bit of sh*t stirring from you... property market obviously too quiet again wink
ski holidays
I agree that I'd rather be in any place I can ski, than not skiing at all. And that even includes Castleford etc! If someone offered me a free trip to a mountain, I'd be there.

Having said that, I would not pay to go to the following places again...

Val Thorens - Vile architechture, the pistes were dull and repetitive, scenery was nothing special, full of English people speaking English.
Val D'Isease - See Val Thorens, but multiply the number of English by 10.
Zurs - Boooooring town. Nothing to do. Lech was ok, but a bit of a trek for some decent apres skiing. I was working (teaching kids) so didn't see much of the decent skiing as I spent my days off in St. Anton, and the stuff for the kids wasn't great at all-overcrowded, badly pisted and a hassle going to Lech with kids on the ski bus.

For those thinking I am a miserable sod, who is never pleased, here are resorts I would go to again in a heartbeat...
Zermatt, Klosters, Davos, Flims/Laax, St. Anton, Jackson Hole...
snow report
Cervinia - dull as dishwater.

(I absolutely loved Keystone though and of all the places I went to this year it was my favourite. Smile )
ski holidays
Wengen - dull skiing, back bottom old upper class snob brits, crud nightlife, sheeite lift system
snow report
I wouldn't go back to La Rosiere - there's not enough there, nor would I go back to any 3V resort - too crowded.
snow report
GrandValira (Pas/Grau/Sol/Tart/Can).

LaThuile/Ros.

John.
ski holidays
I wouldn't do Sere Chavalier again, Less due to the snow/resort, more becasue the memeories are still too raw 5 yeasr on. I took the mother-in-law with us - nuff siad!! Laughing

TBH the skiing was rubbish too but that was the weather the week we were there and DH broke his shoulkder too, and I ended up not speaking to the MIL for 6 months afterwards!! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy