Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee - cheap with the Exchange rates?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have decided to plum for guaranteed snow at Easter and avoid the dreadful Euro exchange rates...

Got great deal on self catered chalet for 2 weeks in Saas Fee - interested to get some feedback from others on:

- the resort (I board reasonably well after 8 trips)

- the food options

- using the train and bus from Geneva to get there....

- living expenses compared to say Chamonix

We're going as a family so don't tend to drink out, children like pasta in chalet after ski school etc - so hardly lavish or boozing it up.

Keen to know - but go easy... I've already booked it Wink

Cheers
LLP
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LaLaPo, The train/bus is very easy, as I did it a couple of years ago. Train from below the airport building and get off at Visp to pick up the Poste Bus to Saas Fee. Food wise on piste, you must try the revolving restaurant at the top of the metro funicular. It's worth having a long lunch to ensure you do a complete revolution. Cool

Don't miss the GletscherGrotte restaurant just off the blue run back to the village. I spent a week there at the end of November and apart from the revolving restaurant, I ate there every day, as well as calling in for a last drink on my way back to resort. You need to get a bit of speed up to negotiate the path to the restaurant without walking, as it's hidden amongst the trees. It's well sign posted though and much friendlier than the self service restaurant at Morenia. There are other restaurants but the runs to these weren't open at the end of November.

You should find it cheaper than Chamonix. It's a great and stunning resort. The skiing in Saas Fee isn't extensive but you can try the other smaller resorts nearby on the lift pass, and I think you can get a day in Zermatt with a resort arranged bus trip. Enjoy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LaLaPo, agree with geepee, about the transport, was simple. We also used the luggage service (can't remember the proper name for it) where you check your suitcases in at the station and they deliver them to your hotel. We went with on a Kuoni package so if there were any extra costs they were in the overall price. We took one smaller case with us with stuff we needed that night / the next morning.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks geepee / Doss - it sounded easy and looks like definitely a better option than the car which would sit in a car park for 10 days while we pay for it - and we have to pay £5 - £8 a day for the parking too.

Restaurants sound good too... GletscherGrotte sounds great and I will remember that speed thing Wink

We like being in high resorts though as gives us more flexibility for early / late holidays - so good to hear reasonably positive feedback so far.

LLP. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, train and bus is the easiest way to get to Saas-Fee, very reliable and punctual. You need to pop into the bus station the day before you come home to reserve your seats for the way down to Visp. It just helps them know whether to put on an extra bus. Have you looked into train/bus tickets? I don't know what is best for a family, but look at buying a Swiss transfer ticket - fixed cost provided you complete the journey in a single day. You need to buy this before you leave the UK.

You should visit the revolving restaurant for the view, but pick a good day. The food in other restaurants is better, though. The Gletschergrotte is good, but you need to be there early. We like Morenia because of the choice (and it offers some low-cost options). If you are at the bottom for lunch then try the Waldesruh (you need to be early again) - for kids young and old they have puzzles on the little "packets" for the cutlery - take a pen or pencil!

Self-catering can be very inexpensive and there are several small supermarkets to choose from. Migros is the biggest, but doesn't sell alcohol. The nearby Coop does, tho. There are a couple of others further from the slopes. They should be open every day over Easter up to about 6.00 pm - they all seem to open and close at the same times. I don't know what time you will be arriving, but there is a late-opening shop in the station in Visp where you could buy some essentials (immediately on the right as you come out of the station).

Where is the chalet? Saas-Fee is well spread out and some accommodation is a long walk from the lifts. Check out the bus services, especially if you are carrying kids' equipment as well as your own. Alternatively, sort out the overnight storage which is available at the ski depots at the bottom of the nursery slopes.

Have a great time!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers guys - really helpful. The finances stack up nicely with the exchange rates - even for going over Easter week which is when we go.

The train sounds pretty simple - just got to remember to book beforte we go - and I assume it's only up to 4-6 weeks before as I tried today and couldn't get the calendar to move on to book.

LLP
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy