Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wise words

brian
brian
#1 - always check your insurance is valid - just got a bill for heli rescue for son's broken leg, £2200. Shocked

#2 - always wear a helmet

(or at least be prepared to need something between a bit of patching up and a funeral if you don't!)

That rock actually made it just far enough to break the skin, but I could get up and ski away. Admittedly that's the first serious head knock I've had in 28 years of skiing but I'd say I got my money out of the (now sadly binned) g10. Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sweet baby jesus, that's an impressive hole Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gutted, really dont want to wear a helmet but I guess it's got to be done Sad

So, if you weren't wearing your helmet would that stone have penetrated bone?
snow report
 brian
brian
Shimmy Alcott, don't know for sure. It would've been on the hard part of my forehead but I think it would've had a damn good try!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, glad you are ok, that looks awful Shocked

Shimmy Alcott, I was the same but decided if I was asking my child to wear one I should too this is so comfortable, I was very surprised, expected to hate it but now I wouldn't be without it, better than any hat and really makes goggles work well, don't know why Puzzled but no more steaming up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, Glad you walked away from that. You are liable to be electronically lynched for daring to start a Helmet thread, but I think you have a good story to share. So was your insurance valid or did you have to spring for the heli-lift as per the bill?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, If your bothered about paying for a new Giro.. I wrecked my giro g10mx on a tree over new year and managed to get some money towards a new giro through their "damage replacement scheme" its worth a shot.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was it "stone to helmet" or "helmet to stone"?

snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
milnerhome, my helmet is still intact but brian might be interested in this scheme Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, h0ly poo-poo! glad you're okay dude. you should send that pic to giro when you ask about the replacement scheme.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sherlock235 wrote:
you should send that pic to giro

too right, I would bet they may even send you a freebie in exchange for use of the pic and your report of the event in marketing / r&d. proper style customer feedback like that is priceless. nothing ventured eh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
and what about the broken leg and heli rescue? Seems to have been an eventful trip. Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian wrote:

That rock actually made it just far enough to break the skin, but I could get up and ski away. Admittedly that's the first serious head knock I've had in 28 years of skiing but I'd say I got my money out of the (now sadly binned) g10. Confused

Also go for a helmet with a shell designed to prevent penetration (can't recommend Sweet's composite shells enough) - flimsy plastic shells are pointless if you hit anything moderately sharp.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, Shocked A giro 10 with added vent Shocked Glad you survived & your hope your son is ok? Was it the same incident?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, Shocked you have the same helmet as me, except mine doesn't have the optional extra venting - glad you were ok, how is your son now ? Unfortunately, it takes an accident like these, to make some of us realise how import these 'minor' details are to our skiing holidays.

Shimmy Alcott, unfortunately, my son ended up with concussion whilst in France, he was lucky he got away with just a little bit of amnesia. My snowboarding children, are now all converted to wearing helmets, having been previously so anti them before. I also changed our family travel insurance too after all the hassle from my son's accident. Like you I really didn't want to wear a helmet, but you do get used to them, and I am quite happy wearing mine as it's really comfortable.
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
bit of filler and no one will know Laughing

looks like it did its job. I have avoided buying one and dont feel keen on the idea, but I think I may relent if other plans come together. Biggest worry that I have is that I have had 3 spectacular accidents cycling (two written off bikes Shocked ) and they have all been because I had a skid lid on and that let me go faster...... Shocked

there is a popular saying in motorsport that safety gear doesn't make you safer, it allows you to go faster as safely Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Biggest worry that I have is that I have had 3 spectacular accidents cycling (two written off bikes ) and they have all been because I had a skid lid on and that let me go faster......

ahhh.... its going to happen any minute... whos gonna take the bait (afterall summer is nearly here!) wink rolling eyes wink
latest report
typed it know what was going to be said. also happens to be what I am like... competitive in anything I do and as a result I push on all the time... people can kick off all they like, would personally say its better being able to admit it rather than bury my head in the sand.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
flangesax, I'm putting the popcorn on Toofy Grin
snow conditions
brian, Nice trophy helmet! Mount it on the wall

Glad you are ok
ski holidays
brian, Shocked
imull, I managed to smash my cycle helmet - a kevlar-reinforced one - in September, and I can tell you that it has made me much more cautious rolling eyes
ski holidays
I bet you could shift it on ebay!
latest report
brian, forgot to say, when my wife fell in Zermatt on Christmas Day 2008 and dislocated her shoulder (for the second time), the rescue people started talking about bringing a helicopter in to evacuate her. I was stood there saying to myself "I'm sure I told the insurers about her previous dislocation, I'm sure I told them" - in other words I wasn't sure Embarassed - so persuaded them that that wasn't necessary and that they could take her down on a sled.

Apparently the cost of a helicopter slope evacuation in Zermatt is about £5000.

The bad news is, she was insured, so we both missed out on a free chopper ride Sad
snow report
brian, Scary stuff. One doesn't expect rocks to be an issue on the piste. I have a similarly scarred helmet from nutting the ground losing it off my MTB in the lakes. As Freddie Paellahead, said it made me very cautious.
Which insurance policy didn't cover the heli rescue?
latest report
brian,
Very glad eveyone made it safely.
but:
Quote:

Admittedly that's the first serious head knock I've had in 28 years of skiing

If you hadn't had the lid you almost ceertainly would have avoided any furthur head injuries. wink
snow report
Quote:

all been because I had a skid lid on and that let me go faster......

Just how much faster will you go when wearing the helmet? can you tell me your limits you set.

Note: incase any one wonders i coulnd't care less if he/anyone else wears one and i just want to know, dont take it for anything other than the question it is.
ski holidays
Is there something missing from this story? The pic shows a blue bird day with perfectly groomed squeaky snow and fabo cover apart from a little obvious rocky outcrop in the off-piste. To nail your bonce onto the pointy end of one loose stone seems like a billion to one shot. If it occurred in the off-piste near that rocky outcrop (some tracks suggest that might be the case) then this is simply the result of a line error and a loss of control - Not something to go helmet mad over because the impact could just as easily been to the face or the chest or other unprotected areas.
latest report
brian, where's the knarly steep and deep pics before the incident.....

Glad you are ok
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why bin it? After all it's proved it's ability to withstand a sustantial impact.
Chances of another impact at that precise point - next to nil
Sons extra pulling power when seen wearing that helmet - massive.
ski holidays
youspurs1 wrote:
Chances of another impact at that precise point - next to nil
Not a statistic I would rely on Smile chances are the same as a hit on any other point.

If you flip a coin 50 times and get tails every time, what is the probability of a head or tail next flip?

Did you keep the rock?
snow conditions
brian, but on the right side......the snow looks MINT Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 30-04-10 11:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

If you flip a coin 50 times and get tails every time, what is the probability of a head or tail next flip?

Still 50:50
latest report
Bode Swiller, indeed. The mechanics of chance is something that's not fully appreciated. The chance of smacking your head on a rock the day after smacking your head on a rock after 28 years of not smacking your head on a rock: exactly the same as it was the day before.

ps. WEAR A FRICKIN HELMET
snow report
Yep, that's the same as my helmet, too (without the additional hole). But I still want to hear about the broken leg - hope it's OK.
latest report
 brian
brian
Megamum, insurance is paying the heli bill. It's an annual policy, I had remembered to renew it a few days before the holiday.

Chris Bish, helmet to stone.

sherlock235, barry, mailed them the pic with a note of thanks for saving my bonce.

pam w, genepi, no, not the same incident. #1 son (he's 11) broke his leg a couple of days earlier. He was caught out by one of those piste side piles of soggy snow, got flipped round and then twisted over, his binding didn't release and he now has a spiral fracture of the tibia. Sad He's coped really well with it despite being gutted to the max that it happened on the first day. He was lying in Sion hospital being plastered up when he said to me, "Dad, I don't think I'm going to be able to ski tomorrow." It made the ash-induced 2 day trek home a bit trickier as well ...

imull, no change for me, I skied like a reckless idiot long before I got a lid. wink

Bode Swiller, yep, I hit a submerged rock and ejected onto the outcrop. My bad.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
kitenski, not deep, it was only maybe 10cm of fresh but ...

My track is the single one on the lhs.

Frosty the Snowman, twas indeed mint.
ski holidays
brian, nice Smile is that the G area or the Z area Wink
snow report
 brian
brian
kitenski, the clue is on the chair ... wink
snow conditions
I think I will show the Minimum's the helmet picture. They never complain about wearing a helmet and its no different to the rest of their ski gear to them, but I keep trying to find reasons why they should respect the mountain and still do and go where we suggest. I think your picture is a good addition to the lesson.
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

Still 50:50

True in theory BUT,

If you really did flip a coin 50 time and get tails every time I would say that was evidence that the coin was 'weighted' in favour of tails, like a loaded die may be weighted to favour a six, so in practice the odds of a tail next flip would be higher than 50%.

Now if you specified a coin that had been proven not to be weighted unevenly, and previous test had shown a reasonably even distribution of heads and tails prior to the 50 tails 'run', I would agree with 50/50 for the next flip. Little Angel
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy