Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Ski Virgin

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have been skiing for 7 years now but have only ever Skied in France in the three big linked resorts (Paradiski, Trois Vallees and Espace Killy). After many trips to these ski areas I have been feeling the urge to head to Austria for the last few years, to try something different.

However, every time I start to look into the Austrian resorts I am put off by what look like such small ski areas (judging from the piste maps) that I am concerned myself and my friends will be bored after a few days. We are all decent skiers so cover quite a lot of ground.

I am probably wrong about the size of the ski areas but have no experience of skiing in Austria, so I suspect the layout of resorts and ski areas are somewhat different to France and it is my lack of understanding that is making me wary of Austria.

So, I am looking for some advice on a good Austrian ski area for me to ski w/c 20/21st March 2010 that will be a good first time large Austrian ski area.

Thanks.

Dave
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ischgl or the Arlberg (Lech, Zurs, St Anton).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fueldave, Welcome to snowheads. I'm now 52 and have been skiiing since I was 14. Still not sure what having 'skied 'out an area means. I can cope with going down the same run a couple of times a day, surely its how well, did you do it better than last time, how good is the snow, skiing the run on a differnet side, skiing it in different ways all add up to the experience. Having got that off my chest in that it is not any sort of crime to come down the same slope a number of times, or for me boring -as I'm never bored with sking. Oh another thing - how come anyone pays for an indoor snow slope in this country. Skied out in 32 seconds.
St Anton good though given the desire for lots and late March for height/snow sureness. Alternatively, share a hire car between you, base yourself in say Schladming, and the amount of skiing you can get on one pass is lets say pretty good. If you have snow, it is usually better than France in most other respects for me at least.
Enjoy whereever you go. Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fueldave, welcome to snowHeads.

Zillertal? Base in Mayrhofen where there is an excellent coach and train service to other resorts in the Zillertal region within 30-60 minutes once you've skied there. Although there's plenty of terrain in Mayrhofen to avoid getting bored IMHO.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fueldave, much like you our group's earlier years of skiing were spent in the large French resorts. However, a couple of years ago we decided to try Austria instead, and it could be quite a while until we revisit France again. The apres ski and atmosphere in Austria is just much more to our liking.

Again, like you we had initial reservations about the size of ski areas, as we also like to get a few miles clocked up. We've been to Mayrhofen, Hinterglemm and Solden, and all have them have proved plenty big enough for what we were looking for. St. Anton and Ishgl are also suppposed to be amazing, as well as plenty of the other Austrian resorts.

Give it a go; you won't look back.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have skied France, Canada and Austria. And can confirm Austria is streets ahead IMHO for both ski and apres ski, the general atmosphere is a total different feel to the likes of Tignes/Val etc. And all for the better, the only downside to Austria is the fact that most bars are still smoking zones, and being a non smoker it is a little off putting.

I would rather ski Austria over France all day, take a look at Obertauern. Just got back from a week there and it is some where i am deffo planning on going back too. Not a resort well known by the Brits, but it is a very good resort and has plenty to keep anyone occupied for a weeks skiing.

My M8 who has been skiing to most places over the last 25yrs from all the French mega resorts/small Italian resorts/St Anton and all the well know Austrian resorts/Canada/Bulgaria/ etc etc said Obertauern was deffo in the top few resorts for an all round ski experiance that he had ever been too. It really has all anyone could really want for a weeks skiing both on and off the pistes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fueldave, There are a number of Austrian areas which are genuinley large enough for almost anybody to get a full week without being bored.

As already mentioned, the Zillertal (although you do need to use free buses/trains to access all of it) is one with around 600Km. The Ski Welt is another (just under 300Km all lift linked), or Kitzbuhel (over 200Km), or the Leogang-Saalbach-Hinterglemm Ski Circus (200Km again). If you have transport, you can get a single pass which covers all the last three, plus four other areas.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm going to Austria for the first time this season. Prob St Anton.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fueldave, Was probably like you, ie only skied the mega French resorts until I was given the green light from Mrs boabski to go on my first boys trip in 2003. Went to St Anton and had my reservations - can't believe how wrong I was. St Anton has around 285km of pisted ski runs plus 185km of ski routes, not to mention the best apres ski I've certainly experienced, together with great food. It has something for everyone and it's nice skiing into different villages (St Christoph and Stuben) or take the free bus to ski Lech, Oberech and Zurs. Only an hour from Innsbruck too.

I would not get too hung up on the number of km in the area. As an example I'm just back from Kappl (same valley and pass as Ischgl) and whilst Kappl only had 45km of runs, we quite happilly skied there all week as the runs were in my opinion quite varied and interesting. Did go to Ischgl one day and thought the skiing was excellent too.

Also, you will find lots of accommodation that is adjacent to the pistes - might struggle to find them with a UK operator but loads if you go independent.

From my expereince (and some of my mates who have skied both) I rate St Anton better than Ischgl for overall experience. Our week with the boys to St Anton is usually the 1st or 2nd week in March and have never had an issue with snow, other than one year when it was a bit sugary lower down due to the relenting sun. If you check the snow stats for the Arlberg I'm sure you'll be suitably impressed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
St Anton, Ischgl, Ski Welt, Saalbach Hinterglem are all a decent size plus there are several unlinked areas where the lift pass covers loads of runs and lift in different resorts and villages, many of which have already been mentioned.

Austria is a very different (and in my opinion, preferrable!) experience to the large French Areas.... if you want some sweeping generalisations which form the basis of my seasons for preferring Austria to France (for which I'll no doubt be pulled up by snowheads with differing opinions!) they are as follows:

Positives:
The Austrian towns and villages have more atmosphere than the french ones and each has its own unique character;
The towns are real year rond towns rather than purpose built ski resorts;
I find the Austrians much more firendly that the French as a race;
The apres is more germanic than Britsh.... the music is trashy europop and beer drinking songs;
The 'tea & cake shops" are fabulous!
The lift systems are often modern and fast;
There's lots and lots of snowmaking;
The piste grading is generally more consistent;
The instruction is generally very friendly and of a high quality;
The tolets are clean and high quality;
The hotels are generally of a high quality;
In resort and on-mountain prices are generally a lot more reasonable than big French resorts;

What may be seen as negatives by some people:

Resorts are lower so less snow sure (with a few exceptions)
Smaller ski areas (with a few exceptions)
A lot of russians (but always less than courcheval 1850!)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fueldave, I can't add much to what has already been said except if you just want to go skiing, go to France but if you want to ski, experience pretty villages rather than purpose built monstrosities and have a great time in the evening, go to Austria.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnowGod, Good post... agree with what others have said too and also don't forget Eastern Switzerland - they have some great ski areas and lots of the advantages mentioned above too.

Apart from a desire to scratch my Killy itch I doubt I'll go to France again, and I certainly won't go to the purpose built resorts.

fueldave, What sort of group are you? There are resorts that are better for 'Lads' or better for families...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a huge Arlberg fan but if you want a really large pisted ski area, you should head to the Dolomites - exceptional food / service etc and cheaper than
the Arlberg. There's about 1200km of piste. We stayed in Selva and could ski all day and not ski the same slope twice. The Dolomites is also a world heritage site and is breathtakingly beautiful.
If you're a real off-pister, then go to Lech.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I forgot to say that the Dolomites feels very Austrian, being in the South Tyrol.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree that St Anton,Lech and Zurs are the places to go if you are a confident skier.
Fabulous week if you go during Fasching!!!
latest report
Thanks everyone for the useful information it has certainly convinced me to try somewhere different.
snow report
fueldave, just come back from a company ski trip to St.Anton last weekend, was very impressed with the resort as a whole, but you have to go just for the apres ski in the Krazy Kanguruh Shocked
snow conditions
fueldave, Skied for years in the same French Resorts as you, and still enjoy them (will be going to the 3V twice this year). However the most fun I've had on any ski trip was in Ischgl. Great ski area, including a fantastic cruisy red run into DUTY FREE Samnaun wink , great pistes, loads of off piste if that's your thang, and the best apres of any resort i've ever visited.

Also (and I believe this is true of most Austrian resorts, at least it has been the case at all I have visited) The accommodation is of a very high standard with rooms that (when compared to the notorious French Rabbit Hutches) are very spacious and comfortable.

Will be returning for a lads week on Saturday - can't wait! Madeye-Smiley Laughing
snow conditions
red 27, agree.... some fine resorts the the GERMAN side of Switzerland wink (Verbier being and exception on the French side)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy