Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Urgent help - new ski recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, finally my Rossi B2's have given up the ghost and I've been too busy recently to keep my eye on what's good in the world of skis.

I am a fit male, 5 11 and 79kg/12st 5llb - 39 years old. I have skied for 20 years and tend to do around 15-20 days a season. I'd like to think I do more but in reality I'm 40% off piste to 60% on piste and anyway in Europe it's always a bit more limiting off piste unless with a guide. Let's be honest, skiing 20 days a season just how many powder days do I get (6?).

On piste and off piste I ski well but I aint no expert (expert for me is BASI II absolute minimum). I hate ice (big girl I know) and will always go off piste if the piste is boiler plate. I love my rozzies but need a new equivalent that is a good allrounder.

I have a budget of around £500.00 incl bindings. Deep down I know I need two pairs but that isn't going to happen so need a catchall.

I'm not going to risk the more avant guarde skis such as Line, Movement, etc. For me the Germanic brands have always had better edges (Vokl, Fischer, Atomic, etc) but the Frenchies been better off piste (Salomon and Rossignol).

I may be talking pap so put me straight and find me some skis! Toofy Grin

PS. Looking at Volkl AC30 (skied on them for a day in Tignes and skied like a pansy that day), Scott Mission (worried too wide on waiste for piste), K2 Apache Exporer (looking favourite so far), and Bandit SC 80 (should I move on?), and Salomon Lord (worried the rocker may interfere with piste performance).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I saw your stats I immediately thought AC30, so do you think your problems that day were just you, or you not matching the ski? You must be able to cope with something more than an SC80 though - it's definitely time to move on. I'm a fair bit heavier than you (90+kg), so what suits me may not suit you, but last season I had a great time in powder and on piste when I rented some Nordica HotRod Afterburners, about 84mm underfoot. They held a great edge on piste but provided just enough float for me in waist deep powder - if I was careful - so should be just about ideal for you. OK it's not a race ski but it could certainly hold a serious carve.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Graham. I started well on the AC30's but it was freezing cold -25 and very icy. I think it may have been me as I was with a group of pretty strong skiers that didn't want to venture off piste but just blast the reds. Where can I but Nordica skis? any thoughts on the Dynastar Legends?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would strongly recommend a dynastar sultan 85 if you find the AC30 to be too stiff.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I tried the Mythic Riders over Xmas - OKish, but nothing special, and certainly nowhere near as good on piste as the Afterburners (or the Volkl Mantras I ended up with, but you'd not need anything remotely that wide). I loved the 8000s I had a few years ago, but technology has moved on. Of the rest of your list, I've never really got on with the Apache series, but not skied the Explorers, so can't comment; Missions good for an easy fattish ski, but not got the grip of the Afterburners. I've not actually skied the AC30s, but they're supposedly better on piste than the Mantras, and I've not been overtaken on piste yet on the Mantras.

Looks like Nordica skis are fairly thin on the ground. I see dansmith has some Igniters (narrower) at Snowtrax, so I assume he could put you in touch with the distributor. There also seem to be some 178s on German eBay, and various ones in the US outlets - although several different years models, and some fairly strange descriptions Puzzled (one lists them as 90mm underfoot).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mmm, think i'm getting too up tight about this. just looking at Scott Neo's and also Elan 82's. Any thoughts? I really want to buy from a local or largish dealer as if i have problems I can always return/exchange (unlikely I will have to though). I dont know why but the Elan Magfire 82's look decent.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've had the K2 Xplorer's for about 2 months now, but have only had limited use (Fridge and Pennines). So far I really like them, they perform well on Piste for a midfat ski and they have a decent amount of float. I like the 'damped' feeling-it gives a really smooth ride, but others feel this makes them dull. Having 1 ski is always going to be a compromise, but for me these are as good as they get.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks landlockedpirate, Atomic blackeye ti anyone? This is getting silly now..have to start narrowingthis down! Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
obviously your smart enough to realize that volkls' are and have been the best skis around for years and years... if you want a ski that will give you everything you want get the mantras off and on piste they are amazing in the chop and crud!!! I've been skiing 177's for 3 seasons and will buy a new pair here shortly..I ski from 30-60 days a season.. never had a bad day with them.. Iwent from the ac40s' to the mantras'..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Morrissey, sounds like a testing trip would be the best solution...if not in Europe the snow & rock at chill factore does demo skis I think?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Morrissey,

If you hate ice then you will not have gotten an objective impression of the AC30's, this may or may not matter. As you said, you thought Germanic skis have great edge grip, but the french are better off piste. My limited findings are the same when comparing some Salomon x-wing something or others and a pair of Volkl AC20s.

My only idea would be to try the AC30s again in a different setting. I agree that no matter how much we'd like it, with that number of days available the chances of much fresh powder is limited, and therefore a significant amount of time is spent on piste and turns that give a grin are important.

Good luck with your search.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Morrissey, Movement Sluffs. That is all! wink

As long as you love pushing your turns then these puppies could do it. If you're a lazy skier forget it.
I've suddenly realised I'm nowhere near as fit as I thought I was!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Chaps - keep 'em comming in. I Thsi is all good feeback but any thoughts of the following anyone as I think this is my short list?

Elan Magfire 82 lime fusion
Volkl AC30 Unlimited - getting good reports
Scott Neo
Scott Mission
K2 Apache xplorer
Volkl Mantras
Salomon Lord
Dynastra Sultan 85
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Solid list, I myself doubted between the AC 30, sultan 85, magfire and ended up with the Elan. Sultan was a true 50/50 ski while I was looking for something with a bit more piste performance. AC30 and Magfire 82 I rated pretty much equal, and some salesman convinced me to get the Elan. I forgot why though, and still rate them the same.

A good read on the sultan 85 and magfire: http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/88414/2010-skis-fischer-progressor-9-dynastar-sultan-85-blizzard-8-1-max-elan-82xti
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I own a pair of Neo's and love 'em ( - spent a couple of weeks on them so far...). I borrowed my mates AC30's for 1 run (flat out down a easy blue) and found them dull and boring in compared to the Neos.
snow conditions
1556garyt, thanks for that I'm leaning towards Scott Neos or Missions tbh.
snow report
With the exception of having to live with disgusting graphics, you won't go wrong with the Neo! Very Happy
ski holidays
Morrissey, I skied Missons both off and on piste, from hooning around with the boys to skiing blues with the kids, they were fine for both.
ski holidays
kitenski, hat are they like on hard pack and for edge grip? what about carving up the reds and floundering on moguls?
ski holidays
Morrissey, no problems, apart from rock hard polished pistes where they were a bit skittish unless you really concentrated on edging. Moguls (only ever done slushy spring like ones on them) and once again fine...carved very hard blacks like does des lanches down to La Tania no problems at all Smile

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 19-01-10 19:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Morrissey,

Sorry, this may be unhelpful if you're wanting to narrow down, but the Head Peak 82 and 88 (the same skis as the Head Monsters of the last two seasons) are both awesome. The 88 is excellent off piste in all conditions except powder (in which it's perfectly skiable) and it's also very good on piste. The 82 is a little easier to handle on piste but still has very good all-round performance.

Good luck with your search.

Matthew
snow report
I'm pretty certain I'm down to Neos vs Missions. I'm an okay skier but feel I'll look a nob with the Missions as people will expect me to be a hotshot with those graphics. MGA, thanks for the reccommendations but I have to make a cut here.
ski holidays
Get another pair of Bandit B2's off ebay, that's what I did. Inbetween bandits I tried a few different skis including salomon slalom skis and volkl's in the end I chose bandits again for a very good reason!
latest report
Thanks everyone. I'm killings this thread and starting another post of missions vs Neo's. That's what I'm down to now.
snow conditions
You completely sure Morrissey? I moved away from Bandit's but it takes a pretty special ski to replace the Bandit's magic and I didn't find it!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy