Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corking

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have purchased a few bits as I like to learn how to look after things

I thought I would start with corking in some wax so I got some swix rub in wax and a nylon brush.

I'm guessing the procedure is (please correct if wrong)

1. Give a brush over to remove any dirt
2. Rub wax into bases
3. Use cork in a circular motion until wax goes clear (is it worth running a hair-drier over to help things along?)
4. Brush in straight strokes along bases
5. Polish off with felt pad on other side of the brush

Is that about right?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tiffin wrote:

1. Give a brush over to remove any dirt

Correct.

Quote:

2. Rub wax into bases

The most common beginner mistake is to use too much wax. Then it it builds up on your cork and the essential heat-generating friction is lost.

Unless there has been no wax on these skis,like *ever*, crayon on *one* wavy line down the middle of the ski, wavy enough to touch both edges.

If there are any big gobs of wax in that line, whisk them off with your hand

Quote:

3. Use cork in a circular motion until wax goes clear (is it worth running a hair-drier over to help things along?)

OK, this part is critical. Rub the cork *both* hard and fast. Expect to get a workout the first time you do this.

To give you an idea of how hard and how fast, put the palms of your hands together. Push them against each other. Push and Rub harder until you feel your hands heat up. That's the pressure and the speed of motion.

If in doubt: if you're not flailing like a berserk attack chicken, you're not doing it right.

The first thing the cork will do is spread that wavy line of wax out over the ski. It will still look hazy and cloudy in spots.

Rub until *all* the ski has a clear, iridescent, shimmery coat of wax over it. It should look like it's been wet and someone skimmed a coat of oil on that wet.

Cloudy, hazy, dull spots - too much wax or not rubbed enough. Dry spots will look dry and feel dry.

If (when) your cork gets loaded up with wax enough to lose friction, scrape the cork off on the ski edges and whisk it off the ski.

No, hair dryers are useless. A good beer or other drink to keep your energy up is very useful.

Quote:

4. Brush in straight strokes along bases

Correct.

Quote:

5. Polish off with felt pad on other side of the brush

Not needed.
Use the felt pad to spread liquids like Zardoz after corking. If you were using a paste wax instead of a solid rub-on, you would have used the felt pad to spread the paste back in step 2.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many thanks, I'll let you know if I reach berserk attack chicken status
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tiffin, comprex, what are you talking about?

Doesn't one just have one's Gentleman's gentleman hand ones skis to some local fellow who "hot "waxes them, ready for collection after a hearty breakfast?

But SRSLY, what are you talking about?

Corking? I leaped straight in thinking Tiffin had confused us with SnowFetishHeads. Imagine my disappointment.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
when I have done this in the past I made sure ski was warm and not in the garage/ski storage and cold - seamed to work better and a little easier
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Darth Under, pay close attention and you'll be able to set young Luke New Name to waxing skis before he's ready to plug irons into sockets.

daehwons, corking skis is a drinking sport. Not sure we -want- it to go faster. wink

And the biggest factor in making it easier is using a synthetic cork in place of a natural one.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy