Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stopping a slide on a steep piste ...

Poster: A snowHead
Just come back from our holidays and was wondering what people though is the best technique for stopping yourself sliding after a fall on a steep piste.

My wife fell on a steep black last week and slid some distance before she hit the power on the edge of the piste and stopped ... she was unhurt but it was a little scary.

She was sliding with skis still attached, on her back head first down the piste ...

Is there a recognised technique for stopping yourself?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roll on to front/ get feet down hill- this bit is easy and very important.

Rotate foot out of binding- stand up- this bit is harder.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We figured getting onto your front would be the best solution ... getting feet down hill could have been a bit tricky given she still had skis attached so they were the most "draggy" part of the system ...

Are you suggesting kicking off the skis?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
there is / was a couple of threads in Bend Z Knees which will help.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=27990#663874
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
whoops. sorry- should say hi and welcome

Perhaps should say that really if Mrs musto can't fall over safely where there is a long slide on piste then perhaps she should consider avoiding such steep slopes- as otherwise it can be a bit dangerous for everybody.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ed123 wrote:

Sorry, but if she's sliding head first on her back, then what you're describing is practically impossible given the speed at which bodies accelerate towards hard objects. And, even if she did manage to get herself on her front and feet first, the best thing to do is a press up. An attempt to stand up might turn into a flip and more backward sliding upside down. In real life, people seem to do nothing other than scrabble for grip somehow. Really, it's a drill that needs practice... but of course nobody will.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was waiting for someone to trott out that line ...

She skis very well and had skied that run a number of times over the years, just this time she fell, happens to many people I suspect ...

Just was looking for advise on how to deal with it not to be patronised ...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
musto_skiff wrote:
Are you suggesting kicking off the skis?

NO!

Skis are the best tools for stopping the slide!

So I don't see too many situation when one would purposely kick them off.

Quote:
We figured getting onto your front would be the best solution ... getting feet down hill could have been a bit tricky given she still had skis attached so they were the most "draggy" part of the system ...

There're two ways to do this.

1) drag the skis till she stops sliding.

2) drag the poles (providing it's still in her hands) by pressing it into the snow hard, while allowing the feet to pivot downhill of her body.

Once she got her feet below her body, and the downward slide is somewhat controlled, she can simply press up on the snow pretty easily. The steeper the slope, the easier the "push up".

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 27-01-10 4:58; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I've fallen so hard that I'm sliding uncontrollably down the hill then IME my skis are off very quickly. Isn't that the point of having them set "just so" i.e. not only so they keep your boots in when skiing turning normally but that they are got rid off in severe falls thereby reducing the potential for leg/knee damage ?

So I would suggest musto_skiff, that the bindings weren't set correctly. Other than that wot Bode Swiller, says. Hope this aint too patronising Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ed123 wrote:

NO... NO...

Learn to do a proper self arrest. Practice it on a gentle slope, use your skis/balance/poles to get feet downhill - and aggressively push up with your arms, arching your bottom outwards to get your edges dug in. Your edges are your main hope, use them. Shedding skis helps turn you into a snowball, and sends the ski down on to someone else.

We don't practice this kind of stuff enough - find a 20-30 degree short pitch and try sliding down face first with your feet above you. It can be easier to turn than you think, and using a pole tip held above the basket can act as an anchor to get you head uphill (which is a safer attitude, and leads into getting up)

Memo to self - practice again. With and without skis.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 26-01-10 21:14; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dig your ski edges in to slow yourslef down, pull yourself around with your hands. May not be a pretty or even a 'technique' but if you're really trying (and I odn't mean flapping around like a baby lamb like many people seem to when they're sliding) to sort yourself out, you'll bring yourself round.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Admittedly when it does happen it can be a bit scary hence it can result in some "flapping around". I must practice this when I'm next away Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A bit easier if you have Grivel Condor or Black Diamond Whippet poles:

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
altis, Bet you can't take them as hand luggage wink
snow report
I tend to get onto one shoulder, lift feet and skis off the deck and rotate them underneath me. Problem is if you dig them in you could flick head over heels. By the time my feet are downhill my upper body is on my elbows with fingers digging in... I've never had to pole brake (like ice axe braking) in earnest but it looks the best bet on an icy hard surface. It just seems that the more you get used to falling at speed and on steeper slopes the better you become at managing the fall and remaining in some semblance of control.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 26-01-10 22:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I generally dislocate my shoulder and then have Scarpa carry me of the slope until help arrives. Shocked
snow conditions
http://www.epicski.com/wiki/self-arrest-techniques

Here ya go.
snow conditions
slingman, Don't exaggerate... you pretty much hobbled under your own steam across some pretty bumpy terrain just to get to the point where the rescue could charge you for leaving the piste (although you wouldn't get hit by another mogul skier at least) Laughing

I put in all that effort just to look good to the chicks and what happens... you grab the attention back by sking a race with your arm in a sling... how the hell am I gonna compete with that Twisted Evil
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
...and using a pole tip held above the basket can act as an anchor to get you head uphill (which is a safer attitude, and leads into getting up)

Hmmm. Not sure I'd have the presence of mind to take my hands out of my pole straps whilst hurtling over sheet ice to my doom. IME, everything else that you say is right, though.

If your skis are still attached, you somehow need to get them below you so that you can force your edges into the slope. That's a very tricky manoeuvre, though, because the natural sliding position is head first, so you have to fight the forces of physics. I've managed the trick by lying on my side and bringing my legs over my head in a quasi somersault movement. Unless the piste is very icy, you're sorted at that point.

If your skis have come off then, despite what's claimed above, your bindings might well be too loose for the kind of skiing that you're tackling. It's incredibly rare for my bindings to come off in a fall on a pisted run unless there are some nasty twisting movements involved; for me, binding releases are associated almost entirely with powder and bumps. It's much more difficult to control your speed without your skis and, as recommended above, you need to attempt a feet-downhill fingers-and-toes press-up that will use your fingers and the binding attachment on your boots as brakes. It doesn't work very well on steep, icy pitches, though, so you could be in for a long slide and you might need new gloves after the incident.

IMV, long, steep groomed pitches can be downright hazardous, especially if they face south or west and suffer from freeze-thaw cycles. I like my steeps to be ungroomed so that mistakes (and we all make them despite ed123's rather harsh observation) aren't life-threatening. Groomed steeps often attract out-of-control chancers, too - not that I'm suggesting that musto_skiff's wife is one - so they also carry the risk of being hit hard by another skier. It's certainly happened to me before and it hurts.
ski holidays
I have nothing to say on the matter because your wife clearly needs no help and it was the snow to blame and not her technique. Bad snow. I said *bad* snow!
latest report
Another key thing is to get into the habit of automatically stopping yourself sliding straight away rather than thinking "ooh I'm sliding, this is nice, think I'll build up a bit of momentum first then try and stop myself once I've really got going". On a piste you can often get away with this until you hit the edge of the piste/a person (not so good!), but a lot of other places are far less forgiving (cliffs, trees, big rocks). As soon as you start the slide as mentioned above, feet below you, progressively dig in toes or skis depending on kit situation.
I practice falling regularly! wink
latest report
Alexandra, or * naughty ski's * Laughing
ski holidays
Use your ski edges as brakes if skis still attached

If skis have detached then try and get head uphill, twist onto your front (like doing a press up) and lever up on elbows whilst digging toe of boots into the slope

Also, though not easy, try and get your hands out of the pole straps and run them down to the bottom of the poles so that they are gripping just above the pole tip, then press down on the tips so that they dig into the slope, and (hopefully)they will act like an ice axe and slow you down
snow report
skiking4, nice pics, and good advice, but that all looked nice and controlled 'oops I've slipped over' not the 'oh blimming heck I have overcooked my turn, and am now slithering @r5e first down a black, with one ski on and one ski off, and am trying not to think about the rocks.... Shocked Toofy Grin Shocked '

Had exactly the experience I describe and despite desparately trying to get my feet below me my plump pixie posterior was just the densest bit and I could not spin myself around.

So the question remains - will with flipping onto your front work for plump pixies? snowHead
snow conditions
MarjMJ, pictures needed.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, lol. Imagine BIG BIG gouged out groove in sugary mogully slope under a chairlift - got the obligatory ironic cheers from the folks above and everything. God bless the man that brought me my ski down, as it was a L-O-N-G way up the slope.

Bella Emberg in an orange ski jacket is good place to start snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy