Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this the death knell for my beloved skis?

Poster: A snowHead
The airline took two weeks to deliver my skis to me after the baggage handlers strike at Geneva airport meant my skis never made it onto my flight.

The skis arrived today and I could have wept when I took them out of the sports tube - the edges are rusted. I'm no rust expert but the rust looks a tad deep in some places.

Is this it - are my trusty Pilgrims good for nothing more than firewood or can they be saved?

Yours in mourning....

Neutral

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 20-01-10 18:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would have thought a good going over with a gummi stone would revive them.
Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it just on the tips, or on the sides as well?

If just the tips, I'd clean the rust off, won't affect performance surely?

if it is the edges, might want to consider action against the airline failing to get them on the plane and obviously leaving them out in the rain for a while...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G, 20 minutes with a stone will fix that.... or I'll take them of your hands for £20 wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ermm get over it. It's some surface rust 5 minutes skiing & it'll all be gone. If you're feeling really anxious about it run them over with some really fine sand paper or a gummi stone & then put some storage wax on them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is rust on the edges but not as heavy as on the tips. I'll give them a going over with a gummi. The rust on the tips is etched quite deep and the cause of my distress. Don't think a gummi or sandpaper will do much to it.

ski, you'd have to pry them from my cold dead fingers. I may not like the graphics but I am very attached to these skis - they perform like a dream.

frank4short, I know, I know, I'm being precious; they are just skis, after all. But this is my first pair - it's like having someone sully the memory of your first kiss. Ok, not such a great analogy but you know what I mean.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kiss
Skis

Anagram! Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
THEY'RE ONLY SKIS!!! Surface rust on edges is something that just happens. Just like scratches on your topsheet. I take it you don't complain about your skis being on their last legs every time someone stands on them in the lift queue? Or when you accidently cross them? Or when you rest them up against a wall when going in for a pint apres? Anyway you get the gist, skis are meant to be used and abused. Otherwise you're not doing it right. So when there's a little rust on the edge or a scratch on them just think of it like you're using them properly & stop being so precious.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guess that is the disadvantage of a sportstube compared to a bag which would have dried out and let the skis 'breath' a little....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, Laughing

frank4short, no need to shout, mister Shocked

The top sheets are shredded but I don't care about that (doesn't change the way the skis perform). The level of rust on the edges can be fixed but the etched rust on the tips and tails, I'm not so sure about as it goes round to the edges. Not sure how - or even if - that may affect turns.

kitenski, the irony is that I recently bought the sports tube for additional protection.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
frank4short, sorry mate, but that's a crap post. They're his skis, they cost her money, and skis are not meant to be abused at all. Used, yes, abused no.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 20-01-10 19:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fix your planks on your roofbars for a trip across Scotland with lots of salt on the roads and rust is inevitable within a few hours. It can also work in your favour though by giving you a great visual guide before sorting your edges. Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks hyweljenkins, though I'm a she rather than a he Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero-G, fixed Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No problem, have been mistaken for a 'he' on here before (danged username is a tad too androgynous).
latest report
Zero-G I AM a Laydee wrote:
Thanks hyweljenkins, though I'm a she rather than a he Smile

Fixed it.
ski holidays
DaddyLouLou, you've just given me an idea for my sig - ta!
latest report
Zero-G, you're welcome Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy