Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Beat - the worst ski trip experience ever?

Poster: A snowHead
DallyPaul, bunch of Brummies came for lift tickets last Monday (odd day to see Brits) and told me they'd spent the weekend at Birmingham airport. Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pandora, Sorry to hear it was unpleasant, but absolutely loved the story, I hope this happens again, enjoyed reading it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mollerski wrote:
I know a couple of my mates would've sent Mr. Cowpoo back out of the chalet airbourne minus his Skibeat jacket if he'd yelled at them. wink

Mates? What mates? Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pandora - who was the flight with?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
downhilldai wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
I know a couple of my mates would've sent Mr. Cowpoo back out of the chalet airbourne minus his Skibeat jacket if he'd yelled at them. wink

Mates? What mates? Cool

OK, I would've smacked him. Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard wrote:
DallyPaul, bunch of Brummies came for lift tickets last Monday (odd day to see Brits) and told me they'd spent the weekend at Birmingham airport. Shocked

Nothing quite like getting to the airport early to get a few beers in first. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pandora wrote:
As for who shouted at who first - I can assure you that I would not have gone out of my way to name the culprits if I had not thought that the way our group was treated was unacceptably rude. There was certainly noone in our group who initiated yelling or aggression, although there were raised voices from our side in response to Ski Beat staff talking over us in a very impolite way.
Suspect it's an indication of how they are advised and treated by their HQ. I do hope your reps get the bullet though before they do that to anyone else. I think you claim for a whole chunk of the entire holiday cost and be prepared to chuck it at the small claims court - don't get involved in too much letter-writing mayhem - nothing will get their attention better than a writ.

It has indeed been a nightmare time for travel. At least when you DIY it you know darn well that the buck stops with you so you waste no time in sorting out your own problems. It might cost money to solve the problem but at least you feel in charge and, over a lifetime of travel you're bound to make the odd pricey mistake. Depending on muppets that are basically unemployable elsewhere is the real nightmare.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller wrote:
I think you claim for a whole chunk of the entire holiday cost and be prepared to chuck it at the small claims court - don't get involved in too much letter-writing mayhem - nothing will get their attention better than a writ.

Act of god, weather was shoite, conditions outside of their control, lots of other stories of people of people travelling with other TO's delayed for hours even days (42 hours from Cardiff to Chambery).............. Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

OK, I would've smacked him.

... thereby ensurng that you were a c0ck and he was in the right. Put the testosterone away please, no-one needs to see it. rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

OK, I would've smacked him.

... thereby ensurng that you were a c0ck and he was in the right. Put the testosterone away please, no-one needs to see it. rolling eyes

As if.. rolling eyes I was having a JOKE with my skiing buddy. Look it up. wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 17-01-10 21:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The flight was with Snowjet, part of Titan. Titan are not exactly a small company although they are far more often seen supplying wet lease aircraft at short notice to larger, better-known airlines to cover temporary shortages in their fleets. My own airline have used them on many occasions - their speciality is being able to provide aircraft at short notice to fly wherever they are needed. Whatever their reasons for flying to Milan instead of anywhere the other airlines were flying to, though, is a mystery.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mollerski wrote:
thefatcontroller, I agree totally, size is the issue. Esprit/Total are a big concern, a company the size of Skibeat could ill afford MIB's (Men in black) dotted around Europe to fight fires.

I don't see how you say that Ski Beat being smaller than Esprit makes matter worse for them - if anything it should make life better, less punters to move around, easier to be more flexible. They're so focused in the Tarentaise that a senior manager could drive around ALL their resorts in a day. The local office is in Landry (between Aime & BSM) and their resorts are Val Dizzle, La Ros, Les Arcs (well Plan-Peisey), La Plagne and La Tania & Meribel. 3 big cheese's could split that lot into 2 resorts each, do a full day in the ofifce / on the mountain and still get round to see all the affected customers over a couple of nights.

Dunno about you but I reckon there's a number of Snowheads running companies with less than 20 staff and using the sales mantra "We're more flexible than the big boys"
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Act of god
Bill Bailey does a wonderful sketch about how daft that phrase is. Unfortunately not available on youtube any more. Certain things may have been outside of the TOs control but the way they handled it and a certain amount of the delays were not. If they had handled things professionally and curteously, then the OP might not feel that so much of his trip was ruined. Complaint letters going to and fro just result in more frustration. Regardless of whether a god was involved, I say sue - it doesn't cost much, the writ is served via moneyclaimonline really quickly and it forces the TO to actually get the matter sorted (or not if they already have loads of CCJs).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pandora, what an appalling experience! Shocked

I was caught up in the delays caused by Geneva Airport being closed until noon last Sunday and couldn't honestly fault either Mark Warner or British Midland (charter). There was a MW rep at LHR who kept us all constantly informed of progress in Geneva. We were able to check in our luggage pretty quickly and thereafter the BMI reps kept us updated. At one point they said we could go and have a wander around the airport but come back to the gate in an hour, when there would be further information: exactly one hour later, we were called for boarding and, in the event, took off with only a few hours' delay and without the nightmare that many endured, of being cooped up in the planes for many hours. The chaos with which we were greeted at Geneva Airport was another matter, but that was nothing the MW or airline reps could do anything about.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pandora wrote:
There will certainly be letters sent to Ski Beat from all in our group, and by the sound of it from the other groups who shared our experience on the bus.

Oh yes - one coming from me too!!!

Same flight, same resort, same experience Sad
snow conditions
Snow Joke, welcome to snowHeads. Shame about the circumstances Crying or Very sad
latest report
Snow Joke, WElcome to snowHeads, do let us know how you get on, however, I think Bode Swiller, gives good advice above.

I see Mumsnet also have a thread on the same subject
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/skiing/895606-Ski-Beat-avoid
latest report
pandora, I have never had quite the experience you have had with TOs but I have had many horrible experiences that came from being at the beck and call of TOs and Charter airlines, so much so I don't do it anymore.

I do still use TOs, I tend to use Skiworld as I have always found them to be reliable, mainly as I am far too lazy to want to be bothering with cooking for myself, but now I get there under my own steam. Last year I took the now sadly deceased snow train which was great, but this year we are driving ourselves there.

Next year I may not use skiworld, I may go for an independent catered chalet operator, but I will always get there under my own steam.

Really sorry about your experience, start planning to make next year perfect.
snow report
Snow Joke, pandora, Will the whole party be joining Snowheads? Cool I suppose the coach driver might need a few days kip before he signs-up. Very Happy
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:

Where you surf leaves me in shock at times Shocked wink Laughing
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
Snow Joke, pandora, Will the whole party be joining Snowheads? Cool I suppose the coach driver might need a few days kip before he signs-up. Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Awful experience though.
snow conditions
My mate was going home last weekend form Peisey to Bristol with Esprit. Like everyone they had a terrible few hours in Chambery and were then told they were being bused to Milan, for a flight to Birmingham and then bus to Bristol. Things went from bad to worse when the on the bus journey from Chambery to Milan the bus suddenly started filling with black smoke and they had to do an emergency stop and evacuation on the side of some Italian motorway. Shocked Skullie . Eventually the smoke subsided and the thought of having to wait for a replacement bus hasten the decision to keep going and hope the bus didn't catch fire again. His texts from the journey home shall live long in my memory. He did manage to keep his chin up and smiling but did slightly lose it when informed in Birmingham airport that one of his bags had been lost in transit.
latest report
I was just going to get all excited about my written complaint following our trip last week, however it's all paled into insignificance against this.

I genuinely don't know what I'd have done if that had happened. Right now I would give them 2 weeks to start paying out in compensation (I have to talk to customers in some pretty fiery circumstances, and that is simply unforgivable, no matter what) or go for the legal option.

I'd also be after their heads. You have their names, you have the facts, approach the company in the UK and make clear the behaviour you were the victim of. I hate it when I see people who should be nowhere near a customer taking their own frustrations out on customers - it just shouldn't happen. Ever.

Our flight to Toulouse was diverted to Barcelona last Sunday, however airport was open, reason for diversion was due to road closures between airport and resort. Quite surprisingly some foresight from a company that didn't achieve much else for us last week.
ski holidays
Were you going to Andorra, Monium? Your airline probably did you a favour going to Barcelona instead. The road from Toulouse is notoriously terrible, and often shuts when it snows, and the detour is about a 8hr drive. I've been going to Andorra for 10 years and never flown into Toulouse - the only reason the TOs do is to keep costs down.
latest report
pandora wrote:
Were you going to Andorra, Monium? Your airline probably did you a favour going to Barcelona instead. The road from Toulouse is notoriously terrible, and often shuts when it snows, and the detour is about a 8hr drive.

Puzzled

I'll have to completely disagree there...

The motorway takes you just short of the mountains, past Foix, nearly up to Ax-les-termes. From there, it's 20 miles to Andorra.. It's closed when the snow is bad but isn't it the case of most resorts access? Last april I did the trip in less than 2 hours.

Even when I used to live in Toulouse and the motorway wasn't as convenient the drive was an easy one... And We were doing it pretty much every other week-end during the season... I'm talking early to mid-90's...

On a side note, really sorry to read about your nightmare... I'm dreading having to ever face a trip like this! Shocked
snow report
Haven't used a TO in years. DIY all the way and never let myself down yet. Before the internet era I would use a TO, but searching flights and accommodation is now so easy on-line. Plus I don't have to suffer incompetent reps like this bunch of useless muppets.
latest report
We used Skibeat for our trip 2-9th Jan 2010 and found them very good. Stayed in Plagne 1800 (Chalet Marguerite) and the hosts we had were fantastic. I'd have no problem booking with them again. Flight back was a bit of a nightmare...Chambery on the 9th when the airport was closed due to fog, flights coming in were diverted to Lyon, Turin and Nice. We arrived early for out flight and ended up with a wait of around 5hrs but believe we were one of the lucky ones that got back to Gatwick on that day. Seems that alot of the smaller chalet companies use the Charter flights and are happy to leave you to fend for yourself when things go wrong. I've met "Phil" the resort rep for La Plagne and found him ok, but then that wasnt under the pressured situation that was unfolding here.
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:

Where you surf leaves me in shock at times Shocked wink Laughing

Why? I've got kids, a Mum and I'm a parent as well....

Mumsnet has quite a busy skiing section, (even better DG hasn't found it yet) which often refers back to snowHeads Toofy Grin
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/skiing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm surprised that there's not been a damage limitation post from Skibeat HQ yet. wink
latest report
It seems to me you can take one of 2 approaches to life once you have children;
1. Your life as you know it ends and you have to ditch all your hobbies in exchange for baby meetings, baby gym, baby, swimming, baby music, etc.
2. Carry on as you were before, and hope your kids like your hobbies too.

No. 1 above is embraced by some women but IMO is a fate worse than death. I'm going with No.2 and hoping my kids like skiing, horses and cricket as much as the adults in the house do. Mothers are in a very powerful position in the household - we get to choose the holiday most of the time. OH just wants to go skiing, he doesn't care where as long as there is beer and snow. It's entirely reasonable that women of reproductive age have come up with a forum to discuss such things out of the way of daft male comments (last comment tongue in cheek!)
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
I'm surprised that there's not been a damage limitation post from Skibeat HQ yet. wink

My money is on this thread being withdrawn by the end of lunchtime today. (If they can find Admin)
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

My money is on this thread being withdrawn by the end of lunchtime today. (If they can find Admin)

How come?
snow report
Boredsurfing, wink Laughing
latest report
Meanwhile Skibeat's reputation erodes by the minute. The Mumsnet article is on page one of Google results if you type in Skibeat.

Irrespective of what happened, companies need to understand that the web offers an almost perfect flow of information. One of the strangest startup trends is in online reputation management companies...
ski holidays
I see Skihorse's dig at Wayne has been removed
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I see Skihorse's dig at Wayne has been removed

On here or on Mumsnet? Toofy Grin

Wayne does advertise on snowHeads doesn't he? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
on mumsnet Very Happy
snow conditions
Sweet moses - that is absolutely HORRENDOUS!

I hope you get some compo!
snow report
michael stocking wrote:

Irrespective of what happened, companies need to understand that the web offers an almost perfect flow of information.

I would generally agree with your statement except for the
Quote:
almost perfect

I would never say that the web is that accurate, particularly on a forum. Smile
A well read bit of inaccurate rubbish can kill a good reputation very quickly.
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader wrote:
A well read bit of inaccurate rubbish can kill a good reputation very quickly.

Absolutely nothing inaccurate about OP's version of events NehNeh

The total incompetence & ineptitude of the resort managers continued throughout the holiday and their communication skills were somewhat lacking.....restaurant not booked for 1/2 the group on Chalet Host's night off - bit of a problem when there's 3 starving 1 year-olds plus 6 adults; no-one available at check-in when the airline refused to issue a boarding card to one of our group (his name was apparently not on the list).

I could go on but you'll think I'm a whiney, old so-and-so.

Despite all this we did have a lovely time - good food, plentiful wine & fantastic snow but I know that none of us would EVER travel with Ski Beat again!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy