Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short Break to Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm in Andorra for the season but thinking of taking a short break in March - driving over on Monday, and back on Friday, so just skiing three days.

Looking on the route planner I think Alpe d'Huez might be 'closest' at around 8 3/4 hours drive, or does anybody have any other suggestions around the same driving distance or maybe a bit shorter?

Also, if it's going to be Alpe d'Huez does anybody have any suggestions for nice but budget hotels close to lifts. I've only skied in the French Alps once before and that was on a uni trip, so not too familiar with what's best - is it worth going half board, or should we go B&B and eat out?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did something similar when I was studying in the south of France. Hired a car for the weekend and drove up to Isola, less than two hours away. Found that the few hotels there were phenomenally expensive so after a days' skiing drove back down to Levens to find something cheaper. If you're driving and on a budget might be better to do this, or find a youth hostel type place?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, thought about Massif Central but it actually works out a longer drive as the roads aren't as good - over 9 hours from Andorra to Isola.

By budget, I mean hotels at the cheaper end of the scale - wouldn't consider a youth hostel.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowsteve, that was pretty much how I felt. Found a small place on the road down from Isola into Levens, might not have been Levens itself but one of the villages on the way. I was in Provence anyway so wasn't far to drive up there.

In fairness Alpe d"Huez is a big resort so you might find some small family-run hotels there that don't charge the earth. Tourist office would be a good starting point. There wasn't much in Isola, only found two hotels and they were both silly money. But seemed to be quite a few houses offering chambres on the road up to the resort.

It was quite a costly weekend all things considered. I hoped to do it again whilst I was studying in Provence but I was an inpoverished student and didn't have the funds.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any more views of Alpe d'Huez, or somewhere else nearby?

Thanks!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Any more views of Alpe d'Huez, or somewhere else nearby?

For Alpe d'Huez, we stayed at a cheap/basic hotel in the nearby town of Bourg D'Oisans. It was few years ago so I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the place. We just turned up and - as I recall - had a few places to choose from. The town isn't big but has a few restaurants and bars - at much cheaper prices than Alpe D Very Happy .

From Bourg D it's an easy valley drive (10 or 15 mins?) to the satellite villages of Oz/Vaujany - which are linked by huge cable car directly to Alpe D. It's a great ski back down too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowsteve, The Grand Massif resorts are much nearer and have great snow conditions at the moment. Mappy.com has driving times of 8hrs 54m on a distance of 919km from Calais to Alpe d'Huez. Morillon, for example, is 876km with a driving time of 7hrs 44mins. Other places to stay, such as Flaine, Les Carroz and Samoens, are similar distances. Depends on what you are looking for - if partying hard is part of the formula then maybe the Grand Massif is not first choice but, for ease of travel and great skiing in a big ski area it wins out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
StanBowles, He is driving from Andorra not Calais.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs, oh crikey - fair enough. Thanks for alerting me to that. This is what happens when I rush to scan the thread and try to get work done in the office at the same time. The distances and times more or less reverse from Andorra - ADH is significantly nearer. Apologies Sorry I didn't spot the Andorra start.snowsteve,
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowsteve, stay in Bourg d'Oisans and ski a day in Alpe d'Huez, a day in 2Alpes and a day in Serre Chevalier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for the info guys, I'll look up some hotels in Bourg D'Oisans.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy