Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge & Wax - caveat emptor

Poster: A snowHead
More I think about this the more I don't like it.

Bought some ex-demo skis and poles. Reasonable price, but near £450 so I got them to throw in a bag bag value £30. First they tried to charge me carriage when the deal was carriage free. Then the bag arrived damaged by 2 small rips.

They denied that they'd caused it and implied I must have. Then said they'd refund it plus the cost of postage (£5.50). A week later I followed up and all they are prepared to do now is refund £15 or allow £25 against something else.

Is that fair?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
forwood, At £450 for ex demo skis, I hope they are a high quality set. Are the skis OK?
Who did you buy from?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Under UK trading law, You are right for the first 6 months and they would have to prove you caused the rips. Send it back and demand a new one. They are responsible for the postage and any reasonable out of pocket expenses. Goods were not of "mechantable quality"

Law says you are entitled to complete refund if you reject goods or you can accept replacement goods. You do not have to accept partial refunds or vouchers etc. The fact they were free doesnt alter your rights, as they were part of the contract "Skis and bag for £450"
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
... and you can partially reject, ie you do not have to reject the entire package, just the damaged portion - suggest you put it in writing rather than deal with them on the phone if that is what you have so far done. This may help http://www.hants.gov.uk/regulatory/tradingstandards/effect.html#faultygoods
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
forwood wrote:
Bought some ex-demo skis and poles. Reasonable price, but near £450

Nope, I keep reading this but it still doesn't make sense. Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc wrote:
forwood wrote:
Bought some ex-demo skis and poles. Reasonable price, but near £450

Nope, I keep reading this but it still doesn't make sense. Confused

Agree - unless these were world cup race stock or had a very expensive binding like a Duke on them that's crazy pricing. Edge 2 Edge knock out most of their ex demo stock at or under £200.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
agree, that is a crazy price of ex demos. £295 here http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_K2_Apache_Raider_Demo_Skis.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
forwood, I've used Edge and Wax myself (not for skis though), and have had really good service.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
forwood, were the skis ok? I've got my eye on their ex demo Apache raiders.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
forwood, What were the skis? ....and poles? I have been dealing with Edge and Wax and have no problems.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc, snap.

Are these Heidiskis? wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like Recons Puzzled

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1402775#1402775
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Freetime do Recons for £469 new here. Even Edge & Wax do them for £485 new here.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all. As holidayloverxx rumbled, they were indeed this season's Recons. In reasonable nick, so figured £420 was better than £469 for new ones and with free bag alleged value £30, deal was a clincher. Poles at £26 were new. Hope all makes sense now!

Fact is the bag was unpadded and v thin, so did not want to replace it. In the end, was refunded £20 so effectively got almost new skis for £400.

Trouble is, having rights to a refund and getting it 2 v different things. You've got no leverage other than good will. Glad to hear others are OK with Edge & Wax - just didn't know and being cynical, I could have been deliberately passed a dud.

Incidentally, Nevisport have got a great padded single ski bag for £25. It arrived today and am really impressed by it, so all in all Madeye-Smiley Now just want a big dump tonight so can try 'em out!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Trouble is, having rights to a refund and getting it 2 v different things. You've got no leverage other than good will

Trading standards may help there...
snow report
£420 for ex demos? ouch. Hate to say it but the £50 discount you got is not a good one. The mark up on skis is massive, I wouldn't have expected to pay as much as £420 for an ex demo ski with a retail price of any less than say £650. I think using skis once can pretty much halve the value.

Sorry. Sad
snow report
S'ok - I 'd agree, which is why I only went for it with a £30 bag throw in! But the other factor is availability. Am going out on Jan 2 . Extensive internet search suggested I could hire for about £150 or buy new for c£460. These were the only ex-demo around - this seasons's model, @ 15 - 20% discount. Good enough for me.
snow conditions
don't forget if you are buying over the web (this is for anything) you can bring in the "distance sales" regulations - basically you can send back for full refund for no reason other than you don't want them, I think you have 7 or 14 days to do this but you need to ensure safe return and need to pay to get it back to the store. Trading standards can help and it's all on their web site.
ski holidays
forwood, let the Distance Selling Regulations 2000 be your friend.

Have a Google.
ski holidays
Am I missing something here. The skis were £420 and the bag was thrown in for FREE. You want your money back for the FREE ski bag? Aren't you entitled to get back what you paid for it?

adrian
snow conditions
No, he's entitled to get something back of equal value.
(and nothing in this life is free, he payed 4xx for the ski's + bag, as the deal wouldn't have happened without the bag)
ski holidays
flog873347 wrote:
don't forget if you are buying over the web (this is for anything) you can bring in the "distance sales" regulations - basically you can send back for full refund for no reason other than you don't want them, I think you have 7 or 14 days to do this but you need to ensure safe return and need to pay to get it back to the store. Trading standards can help and it's all on their web site.

You have to give notice within 7 days. You only have to pay for the return if the retailer T&C say you do (most do, but not all).
ski holidays
Edge and Wax are my local (about 15 mins drive from my house) - I agree they are quite pricey!

But I've only had my skis serviced there. I'd not buy anything much from them, but I have had a good customer service from them.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience. For a pair of SH skis though, I'm with others when they are shocked at the price you paid!!!!!
ski holidays
sound like an expensive pair to me, I bought some NEW 2010 X-wing 8's from ellis brigham (retail and on website for £350) and they chucked in a basic bag, (which i lined with an old sleeping bag - haha) and a set of X-wing poles, which sell for £40 for not alot of arm twisting, so effectively £60 off this years model ski. I'd send them back if you are unhappy!
latest report
Guys, forwood has said he's happy with the price he's paid so maybe we should let that go?
snow conditions
I had someone else's order shipped to me.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Guys, forwood has said he's happy with the price he's paid so maybe we should let that go?

I couldn't agree more! Edge and Wax are a good shop, OK not the cheapest, but still very good. forwood was happy to pay the price he did - end of. Shop happy - Customer (now) happy
snow conditions
Hello

Sorry, been a bit busy trying to keep customers happy and exceed their expectations, so first chance to reply to this. Forwood, we never accuse customers of anything, we do ask questions so we can give the courier a kicking if its their fault, which is what I said I was doing, and repeatedly did our best to get you the skis quickly, offer you further discount (ie a bag) and then resolve your concerns (Despite my being out of the country), giving you a credit for the (free) bag and shipping and as you have alluded to above, we have compensated you accordingly. We even offered you a full refund, and having worked in the ecommerce industry for ten years know we exceed the legal requirements, as we dont think they are good enough ourselves.

That price would be pricey for a used pair of demo skis having done a season. These skis are actually from K2's own demo fleet, this seasons, and were completely unused. Where they had been in the back of the K2 van with 100 or so other skis there were minor marks in the topsheet, cosmetic only, but no worse than I have seen other shops sell new skis with! So in effect this was a 2010 ski, with an adjustable binding with brand new bases and edges. Just to put the 'expensive' claim into context! We dont sell second hand skis, we leave that to ebay Madeye-Smiley If they HAD been used they would have been discounted accordingly.

But my main reason for posting, is to thank those making positive comments about my business. Myself and my small team put a LOT of effort and time into making our customers happy and give a personal level of service, and are glad to hear that it is appreciated. On the odd occasion that we do make mistakes (as nobody is perfect) we go out of our way to ensure there is a happy ending.

Scott n Nikki
Edge And Wax
www.edgeandwax.co.uk
Member of Snowheads for too many years to remember
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Without a relationship / previous experience you don't know what / who you're dealing with, which is a large part why I posted.

Am happy to acknowledge Scott's responsiveness but did feel some denial the shop could have caused the rips ('we video the packing...') and that left the courier or me. Surprised to hear the skis were unused (they were advertised as used) but having just returned from a week's use, I can believe it as there are now several substantial nicks.

Incidentally, the Recons are great skis and fully met expectations. Andrea, New Gen's chief instructor in 1850, a little too frequently said they compensated for my poor technique! Last March , I completely messed up the iconic Combe de Saulire (3 falls, one submission). This time, no problem and at the end of this week, I did my first black, the 2nd time without a fall! Conditions were not ideal (foggy) but the assurance of a stable ski really helped.
snow conditions
forwood wrote:

Trouble is, having rights to a refund and getting it 2 v different things. You've got no leverage other than good will.

Of course you have - 10 minutes on moneyclaim online is probably all it would take. Then there's the Small Claims Court - simple and inexpensive process.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy