Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courmayeur to Ischgl?

Poster: A snowHead
I've had a holiday booked in Ischgl for a while, now Snowsport England have finally decided to run their long awaited level 3 course the week before in Courmayeur, ending on Saturday 27th March about 5pm. How on earth am I going to get from Courmayeur to Ischgl? It doesn't look a very easy trip. Any ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Through the tunnel to COUmayeur, onwards to geneva, then swiss trains? Not been to Ischgl sorry
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How to get through the tunnel though and to Geneva? The Ischgl bit is pretty easy once you can get to St Anton, it's just a train to Landeck and bus.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jane L, there's a public bus from Courmayeur through the tunnel to Chamonix. From there I daresay it's possible to get a bus to Geneva, but I'd have to bow to someone's superior knowledge. It's also possible to get a bus from Courmayeur to Aosta which has a train station, but I'm not sure where the trains go from there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another option: Tunnel to Chamonix (bus?) then train to Martigny (1 hr 40 min) followed by train from Martigny to Landeck (about 6 hrs, 2 changes) then I guess you can get a bus to Ischgl from Landeck. Could be an adventure.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, as above, there's a public bus service from Courmayeur through the tunnel - runs about four times a day I think
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jane L, train - Aosta - Innsbruck?

Not an easy journey for sure...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What a fantastic journey that would be!

Masmith's suggestion is the way to go. I think you'd need to taxi it through the MB tunnel to Chamonix, pick up the 09.16 train from Chamonix on the Sunday , change 3 times till you get to Landeck and then get the postbus up to Ischgl, where you arrive at 18.59. Connection at Visp is a bit tight but we're talking about Swiss trains here. You could save an hour by getting a taxi from Landeck to Ischgl - not too far. Austrian railways site has the details.

http://www.oebb.at/pv/en/Servicebox/Train_schedule/index.jsp?start=1&REQ0JourneyProduct_list=0%3A1111111111010000-000000.&ld=oebb&S=chamonix&Z=ischgl+&REQ0JourneyDate=27.03.2010&time=07%3A26&timesel=depart&image.x=71&image.y=32

Alternativey, rather than staying an extra night at Courmayeur you could do part of the journey Sat evening and break it somewhere. Or you could just fly back to the UK and then out again on Sunday to Innsbruck / Zurich.

Be sure to visit Niki's Stadl at Ischgl. Mental.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

You could save an hour by getting a taxi from Landeck to Ischgl - not too far.

True but pretty expensive.
Quote:

Be sure to visit Niki's Stadl at Ischgl. Mental.

Seconded.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks - it looks like Chamonix may be the missing link I needed, although the bus sounds good, but doesn't quite work - transfer time is minus one hour if I go via Geneva and minus 15 minutes via Chamonix. Train via Aosta doesn't really work, there are too many changes with a long wait in Chiasso, wherever that is, but there is an option to get to Martigny via Aosta.

How about motorway services near Geneva - any ideas where I could be dropped by an Interski coach where I could get a taxi into Geneva? I would guess it does the Mont Blanc tunnel then straight back to Calais. Actually - does this route take the coach near Chamonix?

Flying back is out - that will be two days as it's getting to the airport that's the hard part.

It's going to be an interesting trip, something tells me I had better pack pretty light so I can carry it all up and down stairs if I have 5 minutes to change at Visp.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why not see if u can find a TO who accesses Courmayeur via GVA. Contact them and se if you can pay for a transfer only.... i did it once with Crystal from Selva to Verona.... only problem is that I think most TO's access Courmayeur from Turin.... probably to avoid french MWay tolls and Tunnel Tolls

Also u could contact snowsports england and see who else is on the course.... somebody must be going back to Geneva and from there its all plain sailing on the swis rail network from GVA to Landeck

Or even get a taxi to Chamonix then see if u can blag a TO transfer to Geneva from there....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fly
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fly - unfortunately out unless you have any very good ideas - it was where I started but I can't find any viable option. You offer it, so have you any ideas on how it would be done?

TO - yes, very good idea, although somehow I think that Saturday evening transfers are unlikely? Perhaps there is an early morning Sunday transfer, I will follow this through. Not keen on the blag idea, I like the idea of getting to Landeck on time to catch the bus.

SnowGod, suggestion 2 - Now that would be so much the best option, if only Snowsport England courses could run like that! Actually, we still don't know that this one will run, it's only just been advertised and hasn't yet got minimum nunbers, I have to wait and see.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jane L, Lufthansa or Swiss have direct flights from Geneva to Munich on Sun 28th March.

I don't think you'll be able to transfer between the two on Saturday evening after a course ending at 5pm- I'd suggest an airport hotel in Geneva on Sat night.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks. The Geneva to Ischgl bit is simple by train and bus, it's the Courmayeur to Geneva part I'm trying to work out, currently the only option seems to be a taxi transfer at 250 euros plus. I have found accomodation in Geneva on Saturday night, the youth hostel is right by the train station, now I only need to work out how to get there.
latest report
Jane L, ah ok. There are buses that go through the tunnel and you change in Cham, but I guess they don't run that time of day. If you can get to Cham there should be a few options to Geneva I'd have thought
snow report
Jane L

This should get you from Chamonix to Geneva

http://www.chamexpress.com/Timetables.html

Last bus for Chamonix seems to leave Courmayeur at 5pm so any later would need a taxi - which would be expensive cos they'd make you pay the return toll I imagine

http://www.merinet.com/account/pdf_uploader/uploaded_pdf/chx-courmayeur_winter.pdf
snow conditions
pjd, Thanks very much, this is absolutely what I need.

Now I just need to wait and find out if the course is actually going to run, meanwhile the cost of the train from Geneva to Landeck (via OBB) goes up every day as the cheapest tickets are sold.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy