Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More Bansko Queries

Poster: A snowHead
2 weeks to go until our Bulgaria/Bansko debut.....

Can anyone advise:

a. What's the drive like if we hire a car? (Straightforward? Mountain roads/passes prone to closure? Do Sofia Airport rental firms "do" snow tyres/chains?)
b. Whether there are bars and restaurants near to the gondola. We're staying at the Royal Towers Apartments and are wondering how close the place is to amenities.
c. What's the place like for buying groceries/supplies? I've read recentlythat there are no supermarkets.
d. Can you get Bulgarian currency before you go?

Also, after trips to Espace Killy and the 3 Vallees last month, I am pleased to see (from the Bansko website) that lift tickets are about £18 (yes, I know,you get what you pay for...) a day and a top of the range ski service is about £14. I haven't yet come across the price of a beer but anticipate that I may be pleasantly surprised:D
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict, Hi there hope i can help a little,
a.never driven there myself we had a transfer but seemed pretty straight forward and about 2.5hrs,

b. Bansko Royal Towers is a 2 minute walk to the Gondola, there is a restaurant and bar at the royal towers but the name escapes me, also there are plenty of other bars and restaurants within easy walking distance,

c.There is a big supermarket as you enter the town Billa i think that would be your best bet, there are other little ones scatterd about but not as cheap,

d. you can but rubbish rates your best bet is to use atm's when your there for the best rates, or exchange booths with the crown logo on it...

Beer you can get for as little as £1 if you go of the beaten track but average is about £2-£2.5

check out skidvd.co.uk you will get lots more help there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[quote="mountainaddict"]2 weeks to go until our Bulgaria/Bansko debut.....

Can anyone advise...................

a. Scary, long, terrible roads. Snow shouldn't be an issue, there's not much there other than on the Mountain.

b. The (un) Happy End is opposite the only Gondola station.

c. Don't buy anything on the main drag, it's for tourists. If you delve into the back streets you'll do better. Try to stock up before you get to Bansko. Bansko is the most expensive place in Bulgaria for obvious reasons.

d. Yes, buy your Levs in the UK.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 4-01-10 19:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry, double post.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict,

Also try www.bulgariaski.com, ton's of info on there.

If the gondola ques are bad, and there are a few of you, you can bypass this by getting a taxi up (about 15-20 Lev), but make sure you agree a price before
you get in, you may even be able to get a deal on pre-booking a taxi for each morning.

Learn a few Bulgarian phrases, it will go down very well with the locals.

Check your change, if not you are very likely to get ripped off, especially in the hotels........where you may have a tab Shocked .

Happy End has a reputation for being expensive.

Try local beer, it will be much cheaper than say Carlesberg etc

Give the old town a try, food and drink will be cheaper, and if you see locals eating there you know your on to a winner.

Go with an open mind and you will enjoy it. Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski,
buy your levs in the uk and lose money? why?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers to all so far.

Yes, we are travelling with an open mind. We just love skiing anywhere and anything and are really looking forward to a new cultural experience as much as skiing somewhere new.

Anyone any further thoughts on the money changing lark? I've now read that not all cards will work in the ATMs - so living in fear of being penniless in that scenario Shocked . Is that a real possibility or just a scare story? Should we take wads of sterling and change it at a bank? Is the black market a go-er? And if so for what? (Sterling?)

And another thing rolling eyes...we'll be arriving before our digs are ready and need somewhere to leave a couple of bags so that we can go skiing for an hour or two. Anyone know of any lockers or left luggage facilities?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict,
I've never had problems taking money from atm's i use a visa debit also a maestro, if your taking sterling to change in the bank they only accept clean and non ripped notes, black market? wouldn't take the chance of being given duff notes. Just change enough money here to see you through your first day.
There are lockers at the gondola station.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict,

We took just a few lev for the airport etc and were able to change sterling (clean, not ripped/marked etc) at our hotel
reception (Perun), but you can double check the situation on skivid or bulgariaski, but I doubt if you will have any problems exchanging sterling there. IF you must use a booth be VERY carefull, as you are likely get back something totally different to the exchange rate advertised.

If you use lockers at the gondola, make sure they are accessable before the gondola opens (if you go early to miss any queues), as some places will store your ski's but don't open until after the gondola, which you don't want. Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

If you use lockers at the gondola, make sure they are accessable before the gondola opens (if you go early to miss any queues)

We'll arrive mid afternoon - so need to leave bags until after we've skied; then on departure day we need somewhere to leave bags for the day (after we check out) so that we can go skiing that day as well.

Cheers to all for the currency/cash advice Very Happy .
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

a. What's the drive like if we hire a car? (Straightforward? Mountain roads/passes prone to closure? Do Sofia Airport rental firms "do" snow tyres/chains?)
b. Whether there are bars and restaurants near to the gondola. We're staying at the Royal Towers Apartments and are wondering how close the place is to amenities.
c. What's the place like for buying groceries/supplies? I've read recentlythat there are no supermarkets.
d. Can you get Bulgarian currency before you go?

a. pretty straightforward - E79 is best route IMO - c180km and decent road. Snow tyres I think are mandatory in winter (I may be wrong)... Carrying chains is definitely mandatory so the hire company will have to provide as part of service.

b. yes lots... search out jj murphys (cheap beer - 2lev), irish bar (happy hour 5pm-6pm I think), friendly bar, the crown - these are all nearby to BRT. local beer can be found nice and cheap

c. big supermarket as you enter bansko, plenty of little shops selling groceries throughout the old and new towns too (supermarkets in old town tend to be cheaper). In fact, I haven't seen it with my own eyes yet, but there is a new shopping mall opened next to BRT and I think there is a supermarket in there...

d. you can but I wouldn't... if you have a card that doesn't load a fee for foreign withdrawls, use that (this is what I do - currently getting 2.17 BGN to £). If not, you can change clean £20 notes in banks in Bansko for a much better rate than you would get it UK (i.e. best of circa 2.03 today)

hope some of this info helps...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cresswell80

Thanks for that, especially the motoring advice.

Car hire is coming up at a ridiculous £50 or £60 all in - so I think we'll go for that as opposed to the 120 euro transfer for 2 of us. Also thinking of either calling at Borovets en route to Bansko (we'll have time to get a few hours in on the afternoon of arrival day) or driving there for a day trip from Bansko. Have you done that drive? Borovets seems to be slightly off the E79 direct route to Bansko?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
no, borovets is no-where near the E79... if you wanted to from sofia to borovets, I'd recommend taking the E80 from sofia airport, then taking the road through to samokov and on to borovets...

then drive back to Samokov and head towards Dupnitsa to join the E79...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, ,

If you don't want to hire a car why not try Bansko Express? I've not used them yet, but this is what my friend who came back a few days ago said about them.

"I used Bankso Express for the transfer (£76 return for two people) who were absolutely wonderful and somehow managed to get us on the flight back with half an hour before takeoff despite some atrocious weather on the way back with many other passengers not making it. I would very highly recommend them."
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict wrote:

Car hire is coming up at a ridiculous £50 or £60 all in

I think you should check that price/car again. Confused
ski holidays
DAVE 2227 - depends, mountainaddict doesn't say how long they are going for!!

decode car hire (google them) is worth checking out...
snow conditions
My maestro card didn't work in many of the atm's. No problems with visa though.
snow conditions
landmannnn, strange mines a maestro. Tend to always use the one on the corner of Bansko Royal Towers and had no issues... Also used the one in Arrivals at Sofia airport a few times...
ski holidays
When you arrive don't change money at the first bureau (air side of customs) as the rate in 1.78. You'll get 1.98 on the land side of customs or 2.00+ in resort.

Pete
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy