Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland. What's it like in february ?

Poster: A snowHead
Think the title says it all ! Is it worth it for a few days ? Which resort ? Pro's, cons ? Have one intermediate and one absolute beginner....

Cheers Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At any time between late October and late April, sometimes into May, conditons in Scotland can be simply fantastic - or "a bit more challenging." When it's good it's very good (like at the moment) - but when it's bad it can be, well, bloody awful.

The UK's maritime climate is the problem, together with the possibility of strong winds that can close the ski areas. The weather can change from epic snow conditions to warm winds/thaw/rain in the space of 24 hours. The trick is to never book too far ahead and never travel on the basis of a bad forecast thinking that it'll be ok when you get there. I've done that (more than once) and learned the hard way....Flexibility is the key, together with a preparedness to chuck everything in the car and just go for it when conditions are favourable.

There will be snow in February - so everything depends on the weather forecast. All of the areas have their merits and are worth a look - though the Lecht (which is very small with a vertical of only 200m) is generally regarded as a beginners area. Having said that, I had a fantastic day there on the 1st of November last season.

Winterhighland is a fantastic Scottish info site. The following link shows you Feb conditions over the past 10 years or so:
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=573
(Scroll to the bottom of the page for previous years pics)

Here's a link to the best weather info site:
http://www.mwis.org.uk/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There can be some very cheap hotel deals in feb.... last year I stayed at the McDonald centre in Aviemore for £19 (twice) Very Happy Their rack rate is 3-4X that ....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
has most of the concrete jungle that was Avimore centre been demolished? myself and 2 friends went there Feb 1984 to learn to ski, we stopped in a bunk house type apt, it was noticeable that different night clubs opened on different nights, but the staff in them seemed to move between them like the few punters.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cockerhoop wrote:
has most of the concrete jungle that was Avimore centre been demolished? myself and 2 friends went there Feb 1984 to learn to ski, we stopped in a bunk house type apt, it was noticeable that different night clubs opened on different nights, but the staff in them seemed to move between them like the few punters.

All totally gone now. Aviemore is great wee place, especially for families IMO. Although maybe not for young families attempting skiing as it always seems 10 degrees colder than the alps does.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thnaks for info - some useful pointers, cheers
latest report
 brian
brian
Don't know what it'll be like in Feb, but the weekend coming is shaping up to be an absolute belter. (If anyone can get up the roads!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian, any indications in your crystal ball of what might happen the weekend after? considering jumping on the sleeper and checking out Glencoe

(i know trying to predict scottish weather more than 3 hours in advance is a fool's errand but anyway...)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
already got plans for sunday Very Happy

swithering between glenshee or cairngorm. already had two days of the best skiing i've had in a long long time over the festive break.

we can't make it away to europe or canada for a ski holiday this year, so all the snow is making me very happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Arno, not really. No sign of a thaw on the way any time soon though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Strongly recommend glenshee, book into the Fife arms hotel in Braemar if you have a car with you.
Ask them for a room on the first floor looking out to the street, it's very quiet and Is around £35 pp for bed breakfast and dinner !! Nice big fire, decent food but don't forget your plus twos and pipe.
It's best to ring them up direct and avoid the agency sites.
It's the closest decent hotel to the slopes ( unless anyone can correct me ? ) and the only snow plough which clears the road to the ski centre is parked next door.
If you are not familiar with the single road to glenshee ski centre, it's best to keep an eye open for it closing for drift snow.
We drove up from Derby and did this in feb 09 and was more than impressed with the skiing, but saying that, there are a good number of buried natural features you should look out for if the snow is deep.

Cheers

woodwood
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Arno, early indications suggest the breakdown and return of atlantic storms might be held off until beyond next weekend. So tentatively looking possibly maybe interesting. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with Glenshee. Cairngorm and Ben Nevis might look more dramatic but the ski area at Glenshee is (or seems to be) bigger.

Can't help with hotels as I go for day trips. Ski hire queues can be seriously long and when the good weather comes they run out of skis.

Keep an eye on www.winterhighland.com
ski holidays
 brian
brian
McWulf, take away sunnyside/cluny etc (which is only really a transit area to get to the good bits) and it's not bigger. Plus I don't think the Tiger has filled yet. So for good skiers, options are somewhat limited for now.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, I would be impressed if someone could get down Tiger, maybe at the fence line. Looking pretty scraped up there.
latest report
Spittal of Glenshee hotel - is it really as bad as it looks ? Fife Arms as above looks good, but 15miles on snowy, icy roads to get to the slopes as opposed to just a cople of clicks....
snow report
austin7, check it out on Trip Advisor. 49 reviews and 56% of people would recommend that you don't stay there. If it is just a bed for the night, go for it.

Reviews can be found here. I think I would stay in Braemar.
ski holidays
Austin7, the road from Braemar is a lot easier - ( flatter) than from Spittal and its not 15 miles, more like 10, (and there are other places which might be open to eat in Braemar)
latest report
Thanks - AA routeplanner had it at 15.........
snow report
Like wot glenshee skier, says...plus the Fife Arms - great hotel!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy