Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daily Mail reports ski holiday discounting of "up to 60%"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ski holidays are currently being offloaded by package operators with late-deal discounts at a rate that internet discount sites cannot keep up with.

This report from the Daily Mail.

Quote:
After a 6 per cent drop in sales last year and the collapse of three major travel companies - including Descent International, whose clients included Prince Andrew - firms cut the amount of ski holidays they were selling by 20 per cent in preparation for a difficult season. But with bookings this winter down 30 per cent, operators are left with many unsold holidays.

Let's have a discount fest. Who can bag the ritziest hotel at the most ridiculous price? (please conform to dress codes, and don't turn up in your usual rags)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just had a click into www.ifyouski.com
The best discounts they quote are 50% in their "January sale", but discounts don't mean much without knowing the original price.

The weirdest thing about ifyouski.com (which used to be the best community/forum ski website in the UK) is this statement:

Quote:
Community The ifyouski polls and forums have been temporarily suspended. We hope to re-launch this section sometime in the near future.

They posted up that notice about 4 years ago, after shutting the Jef Wickes Wintersports Abuse Zone, and then all their other forums.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All these discounts but where to find them....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The best deal I ever got (brilliant chalet in Zermatt, one week half-board with travel for £295 per head) was via Teletext, sold by Inghams.
I just checked Teletext (p 226) and there are lots of January chalet deals at around £300, on a similar basis, or about £100 less for resorts in eastern Europe.

Just looked at www.igluski.com, but their headline prices seemed higher. I guess there is a lot of scope for haggling and negotiating very low prices this month.

I haven't checked www.moneysavingexpert.com, but they usually have excellent money-saving tips on everything you can buy, including ski holidays.

Make sure you're on the Travelzoo newsletter subscriber base, because they give late notice of amazing bargains: http://uk.travelzoo.com
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ernst Goldsmith, These are just the usual January discounts puffed up for publicity purposes. Don't get so inflated about it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fair point. The thing about an empty bed/aircraft/train seat in January (or any other time in the ski season) is that it's been paid for by the supplier but earns no revenue if it's empty. So you're right in implying that the scope for negotiating a purchase price on a package is very elastic.

If I was in the market right now I'd be looking to the tour op to supply the liftpass as part of the deal, since it is now such a massive proportion of the holiday price. Presumably tourist offices and lift companies are falling over themselves to get any lift revenue this month too. If they can chuck in ski rental, on the basis of their cost-price from the shop, that could also improve the predictability and low cost of the ski holiday.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
Fair point. The thing about an empty bed/aircraft/train seat in January (or any other time in the ski season) is that it's been paid for by the supplier but earns no revenue if it's empty. So you're right in implying that the scope for negotiating a purchase price on a package is very elastic.

If I was in the market right now I'd be looking to the tour op to supply the liftpass as part of the deal, since it is now such a massive proportion of the holiday price. Presumably tourist offices and lift companies are falling over themselves to get any lift revenue this month too. If they can chuck in ski rental, on the basis of their cost-price from the shop, that could also improve the predictability and low cost of the ski holiday.

January has ALWAYS been bag-a-bargain time and always will be. The DM is making news outa thin air here. If anything, the TOs knew darn well what kind of season this was going to be and consolidated accordingly and, as far as I know, to a greater degree than stated in the DM. Lift companies have expensive fixed costs and won't, in my experience, fall over thmselves to give anything away. So the DM win No New News Story of the Day.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 5-01-10 14:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Drat - We usually hold and wait until last two weeks to book but, because of the scare stories about reduced availability after the big discounts last year, and we're a group of four this time, we decided to book early this time and I see now that we could have saved £50 - £80 per person... a least we've got the holiday /resort we wanted...

Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A week's skiing in Lapland for £159:

http://uk.holidays.travelzoo.com/ski-and-snow/722738?utm_source=top20_uk&utm_medium=email_top20

Can there be a profit in this?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ernst Goldsmith, or £218.50 each for 2 sharing with ski carriage (I went through booking procedure). And only from Gatwick. Still cheap but not to everyone's taste.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
A week's skiing in Lapland for £159:

http://uk.holidays.travelzoo.com/ski-and-snow/722738?utm_source=top20_uk&utm_medium=email_top20

Can there be a profit in this?

this was ruka in jan 2006

but they also have these fire cabins dotted about the hill for when it gets a bit nippy you just nip in and throw another log on the fire

there is a spar shop in the resort so self catering is easypeasy and most appartments have a sauna to warm up at the end of the day
a small-ish resort that can be skied in 2 days and floodlight runs for when the 4-6 hours of daylight fade away but all in all tis a real bargain and well worth going if you havent been
plus no que for the lifts coz it only crazy brits that ski when its that cold Smile
finnish fels are perfect for beginers/early inters, one side of the hill is a gentle slope and the other side is (short but) steep
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
grizzlybear wrote:
they also have these fire cabins dotted about the hill for when it gets a bit nippy you just nip in and throw another log on the fire

Interesting idea. Have never heard of that, though - of course - people use mountain restaurants and cafes for the same reason. However, these fire cabins presumably generate no revenue directly. I wonder who pays for them and their fuel - the lift company? Resort?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy