Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do they teach teh Skier's Code anymore ?/

Poster: A snowHead
I remember 10 or 12 years ago on my first trip, having the Skiers Code drummed into me by (get this..) the Ski tour company, and leaftlets and posters galore around the resort.

Maybe i am getting old, and prejudiced against the increasing proponderence of our snowboarding freinds, but is it just me who thinks that in recent years teh average skier now does NOT know or act in accordance with it ????

Notwithstanding the bombing down at excessive speed , stopping in the middle of the piste, and (god forbid) sitting down 10 feet just below a ridge in the middle of teh piste, I seem to be the only person in france and austria who stops whenever anyone is down on the piste, picks up their skis and poles for them, checks that they are ok, works out where their "friends" are then chases them down to tell them to wait while their buddy takes their time after their fall etc etc etc .

In fact more often that not, tha avergae fallen skier/baordedr usually look at me in shock that i have bothered to stop to check on them .!

Defintely an age thing methinks ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it's right up there with spelling rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27, spelling is tno the same as typing

sev112, I have been wondering the same thing too...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt, treu...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sev112, can I ski where you are please ? snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well my recent experience in Cairngorm was similar to this.

In mist, three snowboarders sitting in the middle just before the gunbarrel having a chat, one lying flat. I stopped and asked if they were okay. They stared at me and said "off course",,,, kind of cheekilly. I said. Oh I was just wondering why you wer sitting in the middle and blocking the run. Try sitting at the edge. Then left. Went down the next time and saw one doing the exact same until a beginner nearly took them out. Happy

I went buy and said.... "That is why you dont sit in the middle"

To his credit he did say... "yep I get the point".

I was at xscape yesterday and it was Mobbed (far to busy) both lifts working and queues half way up the slope. One boarder wiped out this wee lad. Only me and an instructor stopped to make sure he was okay. It was his big brother that did it and he said to the we lad. "Ha Ha, I wasn't going to let you beat me"

What a total ARS*

I had also to check one boarder for plonking his board half waqy up my skis. "Hey son.... your half way up my skis and the tow is stopped, your not going to get on any quicker... So Back Off Eh!!!"

Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm afraid alot of Instructors don't teach or discuss the skier code anymore.

It's certainly a valid point and although Instructors point out basic safety principles to their classes it would be better to at least hammer home the full 10 point guidlines.

But then do we teach anyone manners anymore !!!!!!!!.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When you see snowboard instructors stopping the class on or just over a ridge, and in the middle of the piste you have to wonder Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mind you in terms of manners it doesn't hurt to hammer it into them young - I'm always bashing away at my pair to try and make them aware of others on the slope - the big problem is that young kids seem to get carried away with enthusiasm and ski within their own world. Hence me finding that it can take continual reminders to ensure that they continue to pay attention however, I see this as my duty to the other skiers on the slope. I have to say that its something that you don't see in all situations though - I am reminded of a recent incident at HH when standing in a group with the instructor at the top of the slope and some other child just shoved his way through the group to the start of the slope literally just running his skis over the tips of some of those standing there. I think we just all stood there struck dumb because we were so gob smacked, that such behaviour was not severely admonished at the time - I can only hope that the parent concerned dealt with the matter separately. At the end of the day we can only lead and bring up the next generation of skiers by example, and through good teaching, yes instructors clearly have a role to play, but at the end of the day where kids are concerned I think the parents have a responsibility to help them as much as possible.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Super Eagle wrote:

Of the 2 cases where I've been physically taken out on the piste, one was by an ESF instructor. So they don't even practice it themselves!

(the other was my brother skiing over my skis on day 1 of learning snowplough turns, with DIN settings so low that you just look at the skis wrongly and they'd fall off)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if i see an elderly person, a kid or a half decent looking female on the deck i'll stop and help them up...other than that i can only control what i do to stay safe i.e. not stop in retarded places, look before taking off etc etc....and drum this into my niece and nephew when i take them...i cant control what anyone else does....but i have shoulder charged people before (grown up males only) on purpose if i've seen them standing in the wrong place on numerous occasions, or if they have gone into a kid whilst skiing dangerously, i have followed them and gone into the back of their knees, then tell them why i did it...it is the only way some people will learn...

okbye
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One that really gets me is people stopping too close to the landing of a jump in the park. Nearly cleaned out a snowboarder who was sitting about 20yds past the landing of a smallish blind kicker last year in Italy. I watched them go over it, waited more than enough time, and when I went over they were lying flat on the slope waiting for their friend. I almost ended up on my ass trying to get stopped in time, but I think the massive faceful of snow they got might hopefully have driven the point home.

They could hand at least hand out some fliers on the bus of TO trips.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I normally mention it to my classes especially on the dry slope where they have to walk past it at least twice during their visit.

You can get the just of the 10 points across without hammering them into people but at the ned of the day there will always be people in the world who only care about themselves and their enjoyment
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I didn't know that stopping to help someone up was necessarily part of the skiers code, I understand that it is part of the code that you have an obligation to stop if you see an accident occur or are involved in one. I would have thought stopping to help per se would depend on the situation. It is common decency to consider stopping to help in the first place, but if someone is clearly OK (i.e. just toppled sideways) and getting on OK, I wouldn't have thought it necessary to stop, beyond calling out to ensure that they are as fine as is expected. Or if someone is already part of a couple or party I would think things are fine. I think the folks to stop and help are those on their own if they have clearly taken a substantial purler and spread gear for about 200 yards (please someone stop and help me if you ever see me in this situation!!), and possibly kids if they are clearly some way detached, perhaps at the back of their own party. However, then I'm afraid it goes back to the instructors helping kids and CRB thread currently running in the BZK section. Kids often have a fear of strangers drummed into them by parents, and I think a man in particular has to be careful these days. As a woman and a mother I think we are aware of more restrained approach. If the child appeared un-injured apart from expected tears I think I would stop a non-threatening distance away bob down to their level and enquire if they are OK, perhaps chase scattered bits of kit and hand it back to the child, whilst trying to find out where the supporting adults are and if the child was OK, possibly the best plan of action would be to chase and stop the associated party. In days gone by if the child indicated they were happy with the plan I might have suggested trying to help the child to its feet, these days this might not be so welcome, but maybe a ski stick could be proferred to the same ends without physically touching the child? Unfortunately the instinctive approach to anyone fallen, child or otherwise, is to bend down and help them up, the current misgivings regarding unwelcome approaches, however well intentioned, means that we often have to ride over instinct and this must be to the detriment of society. My natural instinct to a fallen child with no other obvious injury is to lift it to its feet, I expect I am not alone - sod society and its misgivings which are now at odds with what comes naturally. I think it won't be long before things like the skiers code are re-written to take into account of things like this which is a sorry state of affairs IMV.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always stop to gather up skis, poles, hats etc that have come to rest above the faller. Doesn't matter who they are. Then I check they're OK-ish, which they always have been.
snow report
I watched 20 people ski straight past a girl who was clearly struggling to get back to her feet, with her skis twisted in the "I can't get up, can't get out, can't do anything" position. I watched this from the lift, then skiied down to her, and offered her a hand. She looked a bit surprised, my girlfriend came over to help as well, and she got herself standing up. The skiiers code clearly is dead, this was at Hemel on a busy evening. Her boyfriend turned up on a snowboard to help her out, she was clearly not happy, and was struggling a lot to get down the slope.

It's just common courtesy. I've seen a fair few minor looking falls turn out to be pretty serious, with people in significant pain. Quite often from a binding that didn't release, so their legs are twisted so they can't get up, or from landing badly. They don't look it, but they might be really hurt, and unless there's a group/instructor in evidence why not stop? It takes 30 seconds to check, and then you can go on with your day without wondering if someone's actually ok for the next half hour.
snow conditions
as a border i always pick up skiers bits n bobs when they stack it if its above them as well.. i would like to think anyone would.. personally i wouldnt bother sking/boarding a packed out run unless i had to get down it and i would make sure im well out of the 'action'.. i always stop at the sides behined the piste marker poles and if poss up the side of any available incline at the edge .. this is obviously easier on a board.. i alwasy stop above my missus as i figure my extra 6 stone will be of some help in a stack.. accidents will always happen if it gets so bad that you want regulations then just dont go that resort at that time of the year.. whats the point.. go somewhere relaxed and fun instead..
latest report
Monium,

Absolutely -that is exactly the case; i remember in my early years that when you fall, your legs are usually pointing in the wrong direction and it is never easy to get back up and get your ski back on on a slope .

I'm glad i'm not the only one, and its good to see there are helpful people out there.

I think i'm more concerned now that i have a little one learning to ski and i would hope that someone would do similar for her in due course

Butterfly,

Kaprun in less than a month and counting the daysssssssss
latest report
laundryman wrote:
I always stop to gather up skis, poles, hats etc that have come to rest above the faller. Doesn't matter who they are. Then I check they're OK-ish, which they always have been.

I think any reasonable person will do the same. It is just common courtesy.

I've rarely had a trip where I haven't picked up some stranger's ski and taken it back to them at some point, and I've never had the type of fall which leaves equipment strewn up the hill without some helpful person doing the same for me.
snow conditions
element wrote:
One that really gets me is people stopping too close to the landing of a jump in the park. Nearly cleaned out a snowboarder who was sitting about 20yds past the landing of a smallish blind kicker last year in Italy. I watched them go over it, waited more than enough time, and when I went over they were lying flat on the slope waiting for their friend. I almost ended up on my ass trying to get stopped in time, but I think the massive faceful of snow they got might hopefully have driven the point home.

And what if he was stopped there because he had fallen and hurt himself?

Sorry, but even in the park, you should not be taking jumps unless you know that the landing area and run out are clear enough.

Saying which, I do agree that anybody voluntarily stopping in such a spot is also at fault.
ski holidays
I remember assisting an american lady whose husband had stupidly forced her to go down a steepish slope she didnt want to. I found her sat crying in the snow struggling to take her skis off. She eventually got them off and proceeded to walk/slide down the slope on her bottom. I skied down with her discarded skis on my shoulder Smile

He wasnt impressed when I gave them to him, along with some choice advice about leaving her on the slope Smile
snow report
I certainly still teach the skiers/slopeusers code of conduct/fis rules to any beginner group or private beginner lessons I do. If I'm dealing with a more advanced group and their knowledge of the code seems patchy (usually easily seen by their actions) then I provide reminders. Hopefully most ski teachers do and it should be taught to beginners from day one so that they understand their responsibilities and those of others to them whilst on the hill. Then they will hopefully be developing good habits from the start.
snow report
It's the rule about looking uphill that seems to be the most ignored in general. Presumably the one about the skier in front having priority seems to override the one about looking uphill before setting off.
latest report
andy, the looking up hill rule is for when you are stationary and setting off, the rule regarding the lower skier having priority applies when you are moving. If the lower skier was stationary then as the moving uphill skier you would give them priority, but they must set off giving you enough room to manouvere safely, once you are both moving they retain priority until you have safely overtaken them (if you chose to do so).

Its much easier in practice than to describe!!!! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Super Eagle wrote:

It's certainly a valid point and although Instructors point out basic safety principles to their classes it would be better to at least hammer home the full 10 point guidlines.

I remember seeing on instructor in Les Arcs who almost every time I saw her had the group line up in a line in the middle of the piste - and not just on the bunny slopes but on a red run. If it's not drilled in during classes then how do we expect people to know the correct places to stop
ski holidays
bertie bassett, i agree about instructors not drilling the message home but really, its not rocket science....it should be an in built thing...i think people are just becoming more retarded....seriously

okbye
latest report
We had it drummed into us on a school trip back in 99 (so long ago). In my experience its skiers who are the dangerous Fitzwilliams, its easier to go fast on skis if you're crap, not so easy on a board if you're crap. Also skiers sticking their poles down on my board - why? When I ski I don't act like a total twunt - it seems like its the last act of rebellion for sad mid-life-males.
snow report
Oh dear........
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
We had it drummed into us on a school trip back in 99 (so long ago). In my experience its skiers who are the dangerous Fitzwilliams, its easier to go fast on skis if you're crap, not so easy on a board if you're crap. Also skiers sticking their poles down on my board - why? When I ski I don't act like a total twunt - it seems like its the last act of rebellion for sad mid-life-males.

Quote:
When I ski I don't act like a total twunt

Unlike when you post rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

it seems like its the last act of rebellion for sad mid-life-males

I thought that was boarding Toofy Grin
ski holidays