Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monarch Airlines & ski carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm travelling from Gatwick to Innsbruck with Monarch in January - through SkiVal (via Chaletline).
I've paid for ski carriage but i'm being told two things by Chaletline ( although not by SkiVal incidentally ).

My boots will form part of my 20kg normal luggage limit plus my Ski Carriage limit is only 6kg
I've weighed my skis - 8kg with bag - and I've weighed my boots - 7kg with bag.

If this is enforced, i'm gonna end up paying a further charge for my skis plus have only 13kg for my luggage.
I've paid for ski carriage for the last few years and my boots were always part of the deal and the check-in staff never weighed them anyway.

Has anybody got any actual recent experience of this !!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think 20kg including boots is normal. My boots in their bag weigh about 6kg leaving me 14kg for my hold bag which I find to be plenty (but I use a lightweight holdall). I've never known skis to be weighed. I don't think they even fit on the scales! I've always had to check skis in separately at the 'outsize' luggage desk.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We just came back flying with Monarch. Boot bags got checked in at the desk under Ski Carriage allowance at Gatwick, nobody batted an eyelid for a second.

At Gatwick there's another point where the ski bags go, and they don't weigh or check anything in our experience - one of the guys had a 25kg snowboard bag that had his entire life in there. The check in desk didn't care a jot.

Exactly the same thing happened at Grenoble on the way back.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Monium, that's great information. Did you go on a charter flight because I understand Monarch themselves use their own more generous rules for scheduled flights ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sam the Ram, not entirely sure if Chartered or Scheduled, would expect a standard cheap as chips charter flight, it was part of a cheap deal through TO.

I can't see there being much difference, the desks are Monarch desks at Gatwick, they won't be changing a lot re rules etc, and their staff seemed to be treating all ski bags the same (our flight was almost exclusively skiiers, and there were dozens of ski bags going on)

Personally, I'd pack your skis, pad them out with a load of other stuff, the heavy stuff if you can, and if you have a bag that takes them put the boots in as well. If you don't, put the boots in a separate bag and they will check them in for you no problem. They were very quick, very happy when we checked in 10 people all with ski bags, one 25kgish and another 20kg, didn't seem in any way concerned.

Can't promise whether the same thing will happen coming back from Innsbruck, but I'd expect so. If you've booked ski carriage it will be ok to pack a ski bag and a boot bag, they have no weight restrictions listed on Monarch site for ski bags, other than the maximum weight for any single bag, 32kg.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Doesn't the allowance on a charter flight depend on what the TO has negotiated for the seats?
Some include boots/skis, some don't.

Obviously on scheduled flights the airline decides itself - I thought 20kg hold + 5kg cabin + whatever they charge for boots and skis was the norm.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Boot bags got checked in at the desk under Ski Carriage allowance at Gatwick

What if you don't have ski's? Does the 20Kg total include boots? Never used to, tight bugs!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martinm, should be enough, including helmet, avalanche probe and shovel as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just did Monarch to Innsbruck from LGW. Two pairs of skis in one bag and both of us checked boot bags in addition to hold luggage. No problem, that was a charter with Inghams.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ta - don't have a helmet, probe or shovel, so may even get a second pair of boxers in Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
martinm wrote:
Quote:

Boot bags got checked in at the desk under Ski Carriage allowance at Gatwick

What if you don't have ski's? Does the 20Kg total include boots? Never used to, tight bugs!!

I think you need to check with your tour operator - we flew to Grenoble with Monarch over Christmas and the allowance was 20kg in the hold + 5kg cabin + boots (in a separate bag for the hold) all included in the price. Skis were also included but you had to book in advance. Our TO was Ski Olympic.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm flying with Monarch at the weekend and the attachments to the eticket give the following information on ski & boot carriage

Baggage Information

Adult/child allowance is 1 piece per person, weighing no more than shown on the flight details plus one cabin bag weighing no more then 5Kg. Ecess baggage will be charged an additional fee at check-in by the airline and carriage is subject to space being available. One pair of ski boots in a separate bag and either one pair of skis or one snow board per person allowed free of charge though Ski Olympic cannot be held responsible if airline refuse carriage of skis/snowboard because of overall weight restrictions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy