Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chatel Ski School

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick question or 2 on ski schools. I was taught by a family member so have never had a lesson with an instructor myself (hence the bad habits)
There is 4 of us, me my fiancee and 2 friends. me and the 2 friends can ski but my fiancee has done about 4 days on the slopes in avoriaz and needs lessons, but i am unsure about a few things.

1) Having done a few days she is still snowploughing, what level of lesson is best for her?
2) Our first ski day is Wed 27th jan, can you book a ski school any days or is it saturday - saturday???
3) We will be doing most of our skiing from the Pre la Joux so do any of the Chatel ski schools meet here so i dont have to get in the car to pick her up from Super Chatel?
4) Do i need to book before i go or do it when we arrive on the tuesday mid afternoon?
5) Will they all be english? Bit daft i know but she isnt a confident person any doesnt really want to do it but she has to really, if the instructors are english aswell as the pupils this will help
6) Being 23 she wont really want to be learning with "kids" can you get adult group lessons?
7) who would you book with?

All a bit complicated and fussy i know but i just want to really get her into skiing as i love it so so much so we can start to ski together. Thanks for any help you can give, cheers guys, rick
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Best to describe what your fianceee can do and let the ski school decide the level.
2. Group lessons normally run Sunday/Monday to Friday, but private lessons can be booked at any time.

5. There is a British ski school in Chatel: BASS. Highly recommended.
6. Classes are usually adults-only or kids-only, not often mixed.
7. See answer 5 Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks for the fast response there rob@rar, so what would you do if you were me if she cant do group lesson as first ski day is a wednesday??? private is far to expensive! just submitted an enquiry to BASS.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
so what would you do if you were me if she cant do group lesson as first ski day is a wednesday??? private is far to expensive! just submitted an enquiry to BASS.

I don't know, it's a tricky one. I usually recommend that if there is a novice skier in the group you make sure that your dates work with the group lessons on offer. When is your holiday? If it is very low season, first couple of weeks of Jan for example, the ski school might be able to be flexible. Let us know what BASS say. The local ESF will be a bit cheaper than BASS, so maybe private lessons with them won't be prohibitively expensive. Ask around and you might get a recommendation for a good English-speaking instructor at ESF (sorry, I can't help with that).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
so what would you do if you were me if she cant do group lesson as first ski day is a wednesday??? private is far to expensive! just submitted an enquiry to BASS.

I don't know, it's a tricky one. I usually recommend that if there is a novice skier in the group you make sure that your dates work with the group lessons on offer. When is your holiday? If it is very low season, first couple of weeks of Jan for example, the ski school might be able to be flexible. Let us know what BASS say. The local ESF will be a bit cheaper than BASS, so maybe private lessons with them won't be prohibitively expensive. Ask around and you might get a recommendation for a good English-speaking instructor at ESF (sorry, I can't help with that).

fly to geneva on 26th jan, first ski day 27th, there are no holidays across europe at this time so it will be fairly quiet i think. £75ph with BASS which is a lot of money which we cant afford if im honest. the lessons with BASS are £134 for the 4 mornings i think it is which is much better, im a bit snookered really here because if they wont do a full set of lessons for our dates then we have a slight problem!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
im a bit snookered really here because if they wont do a full set of lessons for our dates then we have a slight problem!!!

To be perfectly honest I don't think that they will start a group lesson on a Wednesday. It might be possible for your girlfriend to join in for the last three days of that week's group lessons, but that's not ideal especially for someone very new to skiing. Good luck with sorting things out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheers for your help, i will post my reply from BASS to let you know how i het on, thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can't help with any info on the lessons but you shouldn't need your car, there's a shuttle bus that runs between Chatel, Linga and Pre La Joux
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could also try http://www.esichatel.com/page3.htm, their private lessons look to be a bit cheaper than BASS. I have personally had a number of private lessons with Gheorghe (he's Romanian but speaks very good English) after he was recommended by friends. The group lessons they offer run Sunday to Friday but it's worth asking them what they might be able to do.
I'll also be out in Chatel that week, arrive on Saturday 20th! Can't wait!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks for your help, i will wait for BASS to get in touch and will let you know there response. cheers guys
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder, I only just found this thread. Sorry for the delay. If you want help sorting out ski lessons, you can either contact us or we also recommend Rory & Richard from the Chatel Ski School - http://www.chatelskischool.com - There is some great progressive instruction here...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The ESI (International) are probably pretty english 'friendly' I'd say, as their director is English! (probably the only non-british ski school in France with a British Director, he's a good bloke to boot as I knew him when I worked in Chatel)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy