Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snoworks - Phil Smith all mountain ski courses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am considering a week with Snoworks anyone used them or know how good they are.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, a few times. Best ski teaching I've ever had, and a very sociable experience as well as most clients and instructors stay in the same hotel. I did a review of a week's race training I did with them - a quick search should find the thread.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
just got a mail from a friend who used them in Val d'Isere - copying from the email she says....
Did an all performance ski course with a company called Snoworks - absolutely superb. You get video'ed and have debriefing sessions at the end of the day in the chalet to make sure you are totally aware of your learning outcomes!!!!! If you are interested herewith the link ..

http://www.snoworks.co.uk/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stayed in a chalet hotel in Tignes in December where a lot of the guests were on a Snoworks course. All I chatted to were having a great time. All said it was excellent. I got the brochure but couldn't fit it in this year but am definitely thinking about doing it next year. Unfortunately, husband and friends aren't interested so will need to pluck up courage to go on my own, (big baby if injured - who would look out for me Embarassed ). Anyway, looking forward to receiving next years dates! Anyone else interested in going?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maggi, on the Snoworks courses I've been on there have been quite a few people travelling on their own and as you've seen it's a really sociable way to go to ski school. There was also a social event in the autumn (at same time as Daily Mail Ski Show) with lots of Snoworks clients and instructors getting together for a bit of a party. Phil also mentioned that they would be taking a stand at the Ski Show, so that would be a good opportunity to go along and say hello.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
maggi, Im definitley going do do a week with snoworks next season I have emailed for dates but have nothing back yet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think next season's course dates have been fixed yet, but this year's dates (http://www.snoworks.co.uk/courses/course_planner2.html) should give you a reasonable indication of what and where each course will be offered.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Russell, Do it. See my post lower down Snoworks - Off Piste Backcountry St Anton. I had a great time and will go back next year.

If you do book and see Brian, tell him that bouncing is better Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BOD wrote:
If you do book and see Brian, tell him that bouncing is better Smile

Was he trying to get you to absorb or sink into the turn?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
He was trying to stop me bouncing, i.e. un weighting the skis to turn (austrian style), not the Phil Smith way at all! It took me a few days to get to grips with the new techique but it certainly paid off, once I started doing it "Phils" way. It was most noticable when sking breakable crust. My original style had me falling over when I broke through the crust, but Phils way provided more stability and a more dynnamic approach, even if I did look like a bag of spanners in the video.! (I don't care where your arms or body is I'm only interested in what the skis are doing on the snow - Sound familar ? - Brian)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It certainly does sound familiar! I had a week with Brian a couple of years ago and it was the most fun I've had skiing in a long time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Me too I have never laughed so much on a weeks skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have just bought the new Phil Smith video - no time to watch it yet but am looking forward to it. Interested to know whether people thing it is possible to learn from videos - I have found some to be quite helpful.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Let us know what you think when you've watched it a few times. I bought Warren Smith's DVD and I thought it was helpful.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I watched the video - very enjoyable, and some good stuff and ideas, but I would have liked more exercises to try, to bridge the (sizeable) gap between what I do and what Phil Smith does on the video. For example, he does lots of jumping round the skis in the air and placing them on the new edges - but just the finished article, done on an extreme slope. Would have liked to have some ideas of how to progress in the right direction. I know that his philosophy of ski teaching doesn't bother much about what happens above the hips. But on those jump turns he was clearly using a very good pole plant - nothing mentioned at all about that, which I would have found helpful. His arm position was also clearly vital to the dynamic balance, but nothing mentioned about that either. Maybe some slow motion bits of pole planting (and other things) would help.

Also, the initial section on equipment was very sketchy. OK, I already knew that "short" was the right idea for skis these days. But how short is short? No dimensions given, or even suggestions such as "up to your eyes".

Yes, nothing is a substitute for proper lessons - but I do think this video could usefully have added some more pedestrian stuff. There was plenty of room for more tape on the video....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy