Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not been here for a while - got married, had kid, plus a few other reasons...... now need some recommendations for a good resort for a total beginner, with excellent childcare facilities, at end of season - April time.

No idea which outfit to go for/with - never had to bother with all this childcare lark before, so any hints/tips/advice will be appreciated. Kid is just turned one year old. Any ideas that can get it done for less than the 2500quid for the three of us that some of the online catalgues want owuld be much appreciated....

cheers,
austin7
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
austin7, welcome back and congratulations for both momentous events snowHead

I haven't got any direct experience of solving the childcare issue but no doubt some snowHead who has will be along in time. Re resort for that time of the season, from my experience, the obvious choices are high and French. For a deal, it's probably too early to be booking. For looking, I guess the major ski package holiday companies would be the best place to keep looking to keep tabs on how much before and by how much they start discounting their trips.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Without wishing to advertise other foums/websites, Mumsnet has loads of answers to this question ! I havent searched on here

My point of view, we have been skiing with our daughter for past 3 years with Esprit - if you are not looking for luxury, and you want pretty good fulltime childcare, they are hard to beat.
We go to Kaprun - it's not so busy, is relatively cheap, but they have resorts all over, some big some small.

We pay circa £1800 for 2 adults, 1 child, flights, half board, lift passes, child's ski hire and lift pass, ski lessons for child, full board (i.e. incl lunch) for child, and child care from 8.45 to 6 each day. And loads of reasonable quality free wine every night with dinner. We tend to not leave our daughter in child care every day hwoever - it is supposed to be a family holiday, but the kids seem to like the child care and snow fun.

If you pick a reasonable size chalet, teh kids will get to know each other really quickly, and so will the parents, so you'll pick up equal ability groups in no time if you want to ski separately - there are usually several beginner/expert couples there and they usually split up so that you tend to ski to your level or whatever suits - on your own if you really want - tends to work quite well.

Good luck - for my money, it beats all thsoe of cheap self-catering trips we did before fatherhood came along - dont think i'd do that any more with a 6 year old in tow Smile Maybe that's age getting to me !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hello, first you need to decide what kind of childcare you are looking for/want A private nanny or a creche. Nearly all resorts offer the latter but not all the former. The advantages of a private nanny are flexability, inclusion of the child into the family holiday and generally increased time for fun things, skiing, family activites etc. The disadvantage would be the cost although you will find that the price comparison is minimal!

Then there is the question of a beginners resort and also April time. I would look for a resort that is reasonably high and had a very good ski school. I could recoment the European Ski and Snowboard School of Les Deux Alpes for example.

Hope this helps! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
austin7, Welcome back, although I am too new to remenber you Madeye-Smiley

Here in the PDS there is a childcare service operating in Morzine (nanny service) & Champery (creche service).
Have a look at http://www.jackfrosts.net/ for all the info.
Comes recomended by many of our clients.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a look a "chaletsdirect.com" and post your requirements, you should get loads of independant chalet owners fighting over your custom...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for replies so far. Kid is 1yo, so perhaps a touch small for skiing yet....

Replies look useful, will do some more research - havnt been able to get on the slopes for some 3years now for various reasons and its making itself felt somewhat.... easiest option is to elave them here and just go, but somehow dont think will get away with that.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have been once with an 18 month in tow. As Teachers we have to go during school holidays which are obviously very expensive. Having done loads of research with various TO's Crystal seem to be quite competitive. We went to Alpe D'Huez and stayed at L'hermitage club hotel. It wasn't 5 star, but didn't claim to be. It was perfectly adequate for us. We found the childcare excellent. One bonus with Crystal is that you can book half day childcare instead of the full day (haven't seen this with any other TOs). This option was excellent, as it allowed the wife and I to ski all morning, pick junior up at lunch time, and sledge all afternoon. The skiing was top notch as well. Am off to Claviere (again with Crystal) on Sunday the 27th Dec, staying at their Grande Claviere Club Hotel, this time with a 3 year old and an 18 month old. We shall see how it goes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
austin7, welcome back! Hope to see you at the snowHeads ski club sometime!!

james75, welcome to snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy