Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Queenstown 2010 Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
As there is interest here is the start of this coming seasons snow report. For a bit of info on the local ski areas go to last years report. [url] http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52738&highlight=queenstown[/url]

Not much new over the summer but Coronet Peak has replaced the Meadows beginer chair (two seater fixed grip) with a new high speed detatchable quad with fancy safety bar system and have done some earth works to improve the terrain served by this chair.

Mt Cardrona has relocated the old Captins quad chair to run from Speeds Straight on the access road up to slightly above the bottom of the White Star Express chair. Now called the Valley View Quad this opens up more terrain below the previous area boundary. This gives about 600m vertical from the top of the White Star to the bottom of Valley View and will be a major improvement for their race courses. The Come Back trail will run through a 40m tunnel under the race course to avoid traffic problems. They have plans to install snow making in this area next summer.

At present no snow at all and the weather has been rather warm but things can change quickly here. Coronet Peak plans to open on June 5th so fingers are crossed. Will update you all as it happens.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 13-05-10 23:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Early morning, Mt Luxmore, middle of April.

In terms of snow report, I just flew back to Queenstown, and there's no snow anywhere on the Southern Alps, apart from around Mt Cook. But it's early days yet.

It was 21 degrees and sunny in Christchurch, still feels like summer.

Got a new snowboard, Queenstown season pass, Ohau season pass, and a 10 day chill pass all sorted. Just need it to snow snowHead \
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hang11,
Quote:

Snowing at coronet peak and remarkables today. Looking like the start of winter.

Metservice are calling 1.2 metres of snow in South Canterbury above 700 metres this week, with more on the way next week. The bulk of it looks likely to miss Queenstown, but Mt Dobson and Mt Hutt are forecast to get some decent falls.

Hopefully Dobson will open a bit earlier, which they tend to do if they can

As hang11, has said it has started snowing here with light snow for the last 24 hours and it looks like we could get quite a bit more in the next 24. After that it is forcast to cool down and clear up so should be good for the snow making. It is about time as it has been a very warm autumn with no snow at all until now. Coronet Peak is due to open on the 5th June so it better snow lots today.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hope so I'll be there in a few weeks!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well in the last couple of days the Remarkables has had 30 to 40cm and still snowing lightly. Coronet peak has had 30cm at the top with the snow line at or just above the base area (1200m) More snow expected today and snow line forcast to lower to 300m tonight but we won't get much.
alexchapman, Talking to a Coronet Peak staff member last night and they are ready to start serious snow making as soon as it cools down a little which should be this evening. Looks like good snow making conditions coming for the next few days. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Mt dobson snow report for today

"The wonderful white stuff is on the mountain, and more is forecast in the next few days. We have 110cm so far, and it is still snowing. Yeeha!!"

And another 50cm forecast snowHead

Will they hurry up and get the lifts open sooner?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Remarkables now has 40 to 60 cm and Cardrona and Treble Cone will have similar ammounts. Coronet peak has 20cm to 30cm on the upper mountain and less lower down but they have been snowmaking seriously for the last couple of days. All is looking good for openong at the end of next week. Will have some photos for you all then.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sarge McSarge, hang11, Wouldn't it be something if at least one mountain in NZ was open at the same time as one in Scotland. Very Happy Twinning??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes......nice to see that NZ have already snow. We are planning long trip there all august so waiting good conditions (despite now I've some things in the work that put all the trip with a big ???....but we already have the flights booked).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AlTom, I'm sure you will love it!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, If Scotland can last one more week it will happen. More snow here over night but not sure how much snowing at home as I left for work but not on the ground. The snow line is down to 500m now and as the the lowest lifts start at 1200m it is looking good. Have not had a good view of the mountains for four days due to the weather but bad weather does mean more snow. Would guess 20cm plus over night Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Puking snow in Arrowtown at the moment. If I can get past a semi fatal bout of man flu, and the over indulgence of heineken last night, I might go for a walk up Coronet later and go for a slide.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hang11, Is it on the ground or melting? Nothing lying over here in Frankton at the moment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slushy but on the ground. We're a bit higher over here. Just popped into Queenstown and it was raining, but still snowing as I got on to Malaghans Road, and starting to settle a bit by Millbrook.

The kids have been trying to play in it, but they're soaking wet and covered in mud Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good to hear that the kids are having fun Very Happy Don't they just love the cold, wet & mud.
latest report
^^yup, definitely more than Mrs Hang11, who is now freaking out about the state of their new ski jackets Very Happy
snow report
A couple of the Remarkables taken from Coronet this morning. Decent coverage up at Coronet, and definitely enough for them to open next weekend.

latest report
hang11, Fab photos, thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
hang11, yes they're superb. I hope you don't mind - I've hijcked the second for my desktop background.
(Right click on it if anyone else wants it)
snow conditions
Queenstown 2010 Snow sports is one of the biggest event. It looks very awesome atmosphere for such games over there. I love to watch and also like to particiapate for that. It is a lifetime experience.
ski holidays
Well it is opening day tomorrow as planned at Coronet Peak. They have been making snow for the last week but not as much as desired due to strange temperature/humidity conditions at times. Should be good skiing on the upper mountain and a bit limited on the lower areas but Ok if you stay on the main pistes. I will be for the first runs when they open the lifts Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I'll be up there first thing too. Got a brand new snowboard and bindings to check out, super excited snowHead

Have to say, I'm gobsmacked that it's been so warm up there - over in Arrowtown the snow from last weekend in our garden hasn't melted, and the night time temps have been as low as minus 10. Must be an inversion layer.

So I'm off to try and buy a warm house at some point over the weekend. I'm over getting up to make a cuppa and having to put a winter coat on Laughing
latest report
Jealousy is quite literally consuming my soul.
latest report
hang11, So if I look for a guy with a new board and cold fingers that will be you. Laughing
snow conditions
^^^Yup but only 10 fingers, I'm not from Wanaka Very Happy
ski holidays
We have just come home from a morning on the snow and it was good to sliding around again. The snow is still rather thin so confined to just a couple of pistes. The weather man is teasing us with a possibility of snow tomorrow afternoon and night but he appears very uncertain about how much. It could be just light showers but a possibility of heavy snow for a few hours. We will just have to wait and see. I didn't see hang11, but as I don't know what he looks like I actually may have Very Happy
snow report
Just got back home too. Enjoyable to get some turns in, nothing epic but perfectly good for a bit of early season fun.

Sarge McSarge - here's me, say hello next time Very Happy

snow report
I guess it's the time of the evening for something stronger than the coffee I've got for breakfast, first Apres of the season in NZ and all that. Anyway 2hours till CairnGorm Mountain opens for Summer Skiing! It's made it for the season overlap which is kind of cool. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland, Very cool indeed - I wonder if it's ever happened before? I doubt it TBH.
ski holidays
hang11, Nice photo, I am sure to recognise you next time Very Happy Well a cold and wet day at home today with a max temperature of 3 degrees. A few cms of new snow on the mountains and more expected over night. The snow line is coming down and there are now a few snow flakes mixed with the rain down here in the valley. The forecast is for snow down to 300m tonight and then clearing later tomorrow. We might get 20cm on the mountains by the time it clears and every little bit counts at this time of the season.
ski holidays
I went up to Coronet today. The inner geek has come out with that RFID ticketing system and the website they have, and I wanted to crack 6000m of vertical this weekend Very Happy

It was snowing pretty well. Couldn't see a thing up the top, but a bit clearer lower down. I'd say it's an easy 20cm, the snowline was down to the Skippers road when I came back, but looks like it's about to turn to snow in Arrowtown any moment.

There were no crowds though, straight on to the lift every time, so it was an easy day to just lap the hill and get the legs loosened up after a summer off. Found some decent stashes of snow on Million Dollar and Shirtfront, and ducked the fences and had a last run of the day down Greengates to get back to the car, but it was patchy there.

Should be nice when this weather clears, and more snow on the way later this week by the look of things.

Sarge McSarge - I've got a new jacket this year Very Happy It's green.....
snow report
Well in the last 48hrs Coronet Peak has had 25cm at the base and up to 40cm on the upper mountain so it is looking a lot better. They have also had a good session of snow making last night with the guns still going strong as I type (10.20am). The Remarkables which is scheduled to open on the 19th has had 30cm plus on top of a base of 60cm so it is looking like a pretty good start to the 2010 season.
hang11, I will be looking for you Puzzled
ski holidays
15cm of snow this morning and clearing to a lovely sunny day made a nice start to the weekend. I got up there at about 10am to find a very empty mountain as it was raining in town at 8am so everyone had stayed in bed. Snow was quite wind affected but a lot better coverage than this time last weekend. Skied to 1pm with no wait on the Greengates chair and maybe 2 to 3 mins on the Peak chair. Some good boot top snow in the sheltered gullys and everything from wind crust to hard pack in places. Lots of fun and smiles all round. I Would have to say that the snow pack is very good for this early in the season and maybe more to come over night. snowHead

A couple of shots to give you an idea of the conditions.

snow report
That was a great day. The weather forecast yesterday looked terrible, so I went out and did a **bit** of drinking in town last night. Woke up at 7am to clearing skies and my car 20km's away. Ended up getting a taxi to get to the car and get up to Coronet.

Found some great fun powder stashes around exchange and pro-am.

Remarkables should be sweet next weekend, they're going to get Homeward open on the first day snowHead
snow conditions
I'll be arriving in Queenstown next tuesday.........can't wait!!!
ski holidays
Sarge McSarge, hang11, Looking good, keep up the good work with photos and comments - I know it's hard work!

alexchapman, You're going to have a great time by the look of it. Very Happy
latest report
Nice guys. Keep the stoke coming
ski holidays
I took the camera up today, got up early to watch the footie at the local pub, resisted the urge to drink beer for breakfast, which was handy, great snow today, but damn cold up the top.

Here's a few pics..

Early lift

Top of the Coronet Express, looking towards the Remarkables

Top of the Greengates lift

Skippers Canyon

Deerpark Heights and Lake Wakatipu

And a couple of Coronet from the access road - snow guns going hard

And finally, looking towards Arrowtown and the Crown Range - the road to Cardrona and Wanaka from Queensotwn goes over there

latest report
Fabulous. Thanks
ski holidays
Wow! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy