Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head Supershape Magnum

Poster: A snowHead
Tested some skis in Meribel last week, I wanted to love the Apache Crossfires, but after the Magnums they were a bit of a disappointment. The Magnums were stunning, the grip and edgehold was amazing and they ripped from turn to turn. The Crossfires held on aswell, but were much harder work to roll from edge to edge considering that they only had 0.5m greater turn radius.

To the experts, which other skis would have very similar characteristics to the Magnums?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mollerski, did you use the Freeride shop. I did EXACTLY the same as you. I tried the Crossfires first as I thought (after reading reviews/seeking opinions here) that they were the ski for me. But then tried the Magnum's, and agree with everything you say about them. I liked the Magnum's so much I kept them for my last day, and sort of regret that as I meant to test the iSupershape Speed. Now waiting to see if I can get some Magnums in the end of season sale ...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 8-02-09 22:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mollerski, what size Magnum did you try ? I had the 170, I'm 6' 1" and about 14st - I think I could have done with a few more cm's but the next size up is 177.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, Freeride. We thought that Rob, the manager guy was a little dis-interested, but that's by the by. We tried the Supershape Speed's also and found them very similar to the Crossfires, strong edgehold again but requiring a fair bit of effort to get them from edge to edge. I'm 6'2" and 15stone, we went for 170cm on all of the skis and that will be the size I buy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I joined Mollerski in this test and thought the K2s were a bit more responsive 'edge to edge' than the Head Supershape Speeds. TBH, I didn't like the Supershape Speeds, but the Magnum were pick of the bunch with the K2 Crossfires close behind.

Nothing cheap about that Freeride place. Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To be fair, DHDai did spend more time than I on the speeds and therefore could make a better comparison. Eitherway, the Magnums were the pick of the bunch.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mollerski, i own magnums and have owned K2s.....similar size to your at 6 4 an 15 10 but use 177's.

sorry but anyone who thinks K2 are more responsive than supershapes doesnt know how to ski very well... dont respect their opinion. if you liked magnums.. similar skis would be super cross skis or detuned GS skis. the magnums are pretty soft in the shovel and work well in variables as well as on piste, great all round ski IMO.

tip tip if you by magnums have the side edges re tuned to 87 degrees and the edge hold is phenominal...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret,
I take it you've ran both the Supershape Speeds and Supershape Magnums? What difference did you notice in their characteristics, running in similar conditions?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the magnum is one of those "if i am only allowed to take one pair of skis" type skis it works well on most terrain and does pretty much anything ...the supershape speed is a little stiffer thoughout IMO and more of a GS ski the split is supershape [slalom esk] speed [GS esk] magmun [all rounder]

my ski of choice for hard pack piste is the supershape speed if softer or the odd bit in the deeper stuff then i take the magnum
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in Meribel with masmith and hired skis on two of the days. On the first day, Freeride recommended the K2's based on my "level" (skied all my life but currently more into snowboarding and had not set foot on skis in 3 years). There were OK but I often didn't really feel in control . At the time I put that down to the fact I had not skied in a long time and that my technique isn't the best anyway.
On the second day I hired skis, they did not have any K2s left so on masmith's advice (and then the shop's... rolling eyes ) I tried the magnum's... waow!!..it was day and night for me! Plenty of grip, nimble, and stable at speed I thought, despite the fact that I had to settle for 163s (i'm 5ft10, 12 stones) as they did not have anything bigger...

As I do little off-piste, they'd be the ski's I'get if I was to buy some soon....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Best price I've found for the Magnum's £427.99
http://www.filarinskis.co.uk

Can anyone do better ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
masmith, not to be smug but I got mine with bindings for xxx from head..... might be room for negotiation...

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 9-02-09 16:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, How on earth do you manage that, is that a trade secret ? The head website has them available for about £523 ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith, i teach so get a pro discount and did pre order before the season... there is a little fat in all of the retailers prices so you may be able to squeeze em a bit but they are a popular ski and very very sweet so perhaps not a lot of discount to be had.....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mollerski wrote:
To the experts, which other skis would have very similar characteristics to the Magnums?

I haven't tested the Magnums but if you are looking for a hard snow carver you must try Stockli Laser SC. I did last week, on Meribel and Courchevel slopes.

I won't bore you with superlatives... It is simply the very best hard snow ski I've ever skied. Edge hold and stability are just unreal and yet it is such an easy ski. Larger guys may find the SC a bit soft, in which case Laser SL could be the model for them.
latest report
Turns'n'turns I totally agree - mind blowing, in a different league to everything before or since. Head iSupershapes are great but the stoeklis are another class above. All the performance and yet very forgiving and easy to ski.

I am heading to Parsenn sports in Davos in 2 weeks time to hire a set and maybe make them an offer...
latest report
I'm sorry....I just can't help it! Everytime I see the title of this thread I read "Supershape Megamum" and I can't think straight!
snow conditions
homphomp wrote:
I'm sorry....I just can't help it! Everytime I see the title of this thread I read "Supershape Megamum" and I can't think straight!

Bung it up as a thread title and see where it goes. Razz 'Ski jacket for big boobs' went well. wink
snow conditions
Excellent ski. I tried them alongside Scott Missions in superb powder conditions at Tignes in October. It was a close call, but in the end I bought the Missions as a little bit more versatile, especailly in sofetr snow. All comments come with the caveat that I am a crap skier and know nothing.

snowHead
latest report
red 27, when in Davos, if you happen to see a set of the Stockli Rotor 76 ( in 169cm ) on special please let me know. Had a day on some a couple of weeks ago & thought them the nicest skies I'd ever tried, ( though I'm of limited skill & experience) so much so I'm seriously thinking of buying some, tightwad that I am.
latest report
Magnums are great skis, almost as good as Stormriders
snow report
found a pair of iSupershape Magnum in my length for £350 inc. Head FF14 Pro binders.

But, the bindings are these RED ones, not the usual green ones supplied with this ski.

How naff would these look on what are essentailly GREEN and WHITE skis ?

I'm not uber fashion conscious (although kruisler may say differently) but I don't want to completely clash to save a few quid. I want to 'lurve' my skis !

Any thoughts ?
snow conditions
masmith, check which riser plate they come with..... the magnums come with a pretty crap riser plate IMO. The bindings are identical and 350 is a good price....

what colour are your boots? wink and salopettes and ...... wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 6-03-09 13:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
masmith, Green, White & Red. Just say that you're Italian. Laughing
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
masmith, check which riser plate they come with..... the magnums come with a pretty crap riser plate IMO. The bindings are identical and 350 is a good price....

what colour are your boots? wink and salopettes and ...... wink

oooh, there's a question.

Boots - white/Orange (Salomon Impact 10)
Pants - errrrr, Orange, quite Bright. Embarassed
Jacket - mainly Blue, with Orange bits and some other colours Embarassed
Tin top - White, oh, and marginally matching gog's Embarassed

Like I say, not overly fashion conscious - (with rental Magnums !)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 6-03-09 13:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
masmith, Green, White & Red. Just say that you're Italian. Laughing

Or welsh! Shocked
ski holidays
And before anyone decides to deride masmith's outfit, it should be pointed that some Courchevel's ski school had the exact same trousers/jacket set as masmith as their uniform! Laughing

You can imagine our shock when at the turn of a run on the first day we suddenly found ourselves facing 2 or 3 masmiths! Shocked

Laughing

PS: one amore serious note, those bindings do not look great....But those skies were great!...Buy 'em, sell the bindings on and buy new ones...with a bit of luck the price"increase" overall will be marginal..
snow report
masmith, sorry dude but from that photo the binding colour is the least of your colour coordination problems Laughing Laughing Toofy Grin pull the trigger on the skis you know it makes sense...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just had a look through the Head catalogue and couldn't see a single ski with r=17m or more that I'd want for doing courses. Shame.
ski holidays
rob@rar, the weapon of choice for you is atomic SX12's ....
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:

Not sure I can get a decent discount on those Sad
snow report
rob@rar, Atomic BASI Pro deal?
snow report
Spyderman wrote:

Think I might have missed that. Website or in BASI News?
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

Website. Not great discount though.
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

Website. Not great discount though.

Ah, that's why I might not have remembered it.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:

Andy is recommending Rossi 9X Oversizes. The sidecut on the website is, apparently, wrong - it says 15m at 170cm when they're actually 17m at 170cm.

Sport Conrad have the 9X for 499 and the 8X for 399.

I'm going to see if I can borrow some when I'm out in a couple of weeks time. I'll let you know how they ski.
latest report
FlyingStantoni, I hated them, unstable at any decent speed. could have been an alignment issue though as the left side was worse.
snow report
red 27 wrote:
FlyingStantoni, I hated them, unstable at any decent speed. could have been an alignment issue though as the left side was worse.

Could be a tracking issue. Do your shoes tend to wear on the inside edges? Confused
snow report
oops, just bought them, need new pants now
ski holidays
masmith, Cool Cool Cool top tip if you have your own tuning gear change the edge from the factory setting which is 1 degree to 3 degrees and the edge hold will improve hugely. The heads are very floppy at slow speeds and it seems to make more difference on them than other skis i have used....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy