Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non-Euro destinations - where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Howdy snowheads,

Sorry if this has been done many times already.....

I want to take my 10yr old with me this year for his 2nd ski holiday, but the euro price is making it
look impossible to visit the usual destinations (Tyrol being the prefered).
He's a fussy eater, and I need more than a dozen rusty lifts to sit on - which seems to
rule out most of the Eastern European destinations?

Is there anywhere that you've been that is something of a compromise between
the well developed pricey countries & the boiled potato/soviet era lift destinations?

thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Switzerland?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jat147, If you are thinking about the Feb school holiday week then costs will be high and most places already booked. The Dolimites are good value compared with other locations.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jat147, look a bit more off-radar at less well known destinations, and if you're used to lording it up in chalets for example, you could self cater instead. I bet you can afford it really.

You can't generalize about 'well developed pricey countries'. There's a difference between - say - Courcheval and some cosy Maurienne resort for example in France.

Going off the beaten track reaps a rather useful secondary benefit as well, especially if you're locked to a school holiday - that the lesser known resorts can be so uncrowded you'd think you were there on a normal week of the year. Shop around.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do wish people would stop pushing the Dolomites! We've been skiing there for many years, but it's now getting too popular with Brits (although if you stay off the main Sella Ronda circuit it's much quieter). Only got two weeks there this year (January and Easter).

But to the OP, if you want half term, just go a few miles down the valley, away from the main resort and you'll find it much cheaper. Okay, still have to pay for the lift pass and lunch, but accomodation and dinner will be a lot cheaper.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RobW, but the OP is taking his kid skiing for the 2nd time! I am sure he wants to ski with the lad, at least when the kid has finished lessons so a massive area would not be the most practical at all. After all this time it is his kids holiday not his alone!

jat147, This time dont do the holiday for you, a place that has good schools are more important!

jat147, Welcome to snowHead s
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hang on. If it's only the second trip, how is there any such thing as a 'usual destination'?

Shenanigans!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio, It is the kid's 2nd holiday, but presumably the father has been more often.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for clearing that up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey thanks for the suggestions Very Happy
Oops, I didn't make it clear that we will be avoiding the 'official' school holidays - his school isn't too
hot on breaks in term........ and we send him every other day without fail, sick or not Blush

When i say usual, i meant for me over the last 15 years - going with mates usually.
So I'm used to the costs and am a little daunted by the doubling of those prices - except ales of course.

The boy is pretty good, and took to it like a duck, etc. (don't they always? Puzzled )
I take your point about the less well known towns being worth a punt - i've just never tried myself yet
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rude question: what's your budget for total spend for the two of you?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No, good question Paulio.... I'm setting a max of £299 each for the week, but will be happier to get under £250 Embarassed
Not much of a budget I know, but i'm not used to lording it anyway.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Total spend?

By total spend I mean flights, transfers, accomodation, ski hire, lift passes, food, drink?

If you find somewhere for £250 total spend, can you PM me please Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
£250 total spend!!! May I suggest two days at the Tamworth snowdome and tea under the golden arches!?! Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you can sneak him out of school - he's 10 and he's not going to miss much let's be honest here.

http://www.holidaydiscountcentre.co.uk/skioffer-1/ (7 nights in Andorra, half board incl. flights for under 250 - not too shabby)

check out www.travelzoo.co.uk there are always great deals there.
ski holidays
Alexandra, not a bad price at all! See how it rockets up for half term!!
latest report
Nice spot Alexandra, thanks.
Never considered Andorra before but that's the kind of thing I'm after i think.

Total spend?? I never really added it up before, thought it best not to some times Laughing
You can't really predict what those extras are going to cost, except the lift passes - Arinsal seems pretty fair
at least compared to some others.
snow conditions
Roy Hockley, I'm confident/naughty enough to yank my kid out of school for a week knowing that it's not going to blow his chance of reading vet science at Cambridge! Toofy Grin

jat147, Let us know how you get on, I'm sure you'll be able to find something. I'm not in the UK, but reading these boards there seems to be a lot of holidays and gear unsold... perhaps the discounts will come out after xmas, but I don't think yours is an impossible task unless you're writing from Stornoway! wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy