Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

poles

Poster: A snowHead
I have some movement jams skis on order. I have the boots. What's left to stop the visit to the hire shop? Poles.

I am looking at getting the most out of £40. I was looking at joystick JP Pro at £40.
Apparently they are pretty new to the market. Has anybody got them?
Also any suggestions on other similar poles would be gratefully recieved. My level is good on reds, OK on blacks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scott poles have the best grip/strap combination for me:

www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code_in=703902
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arv, Is it Scott in general that you like?

At the risk of looking a little bit superficial the poles you suggested are only in green.
I have just bought red and white skis!
Not a good colour combination. Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/2006/10/coldpole_unveils_new_flask_ski_pole.php
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ph, Laughing The strap is good because it is easy to put on and it doesn't tangle like a more flimsy effort and the handle itself is particularly comfortable.

These are available at the same price:

These are £5 cheaper, not the different grip + strap:

Best thing to do would be to visit, try them out and double check what size you need. Who knows, they miight even have some in stock that match your skis Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shimmy Alcott, Laughing

They are on order this minute.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arv, What is the red and white number called?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
arv, the middle ones would go with his new skis snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ph, here they are.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I often look at ski poles and think, well isn't a ski pole a ski pole, a ski pole? I am lucky I have been given a really nice set of K2 5 Karat ski poles, but although they are nice things to have, I don't suppose they do more than any other ski pole. Grips are mentioned above, but do they really make such a difference? I have used quite a number of different ski poles and I must admit that once I get the strap adjusted I don't seem to notice the grips, esp under a thick ski glove. Are the various ski poles really that much different and do people really have favourites that they can't part with.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I started off with Scott poles with a similar grip but with flimsy handles and got on well with them until someone pointed out they were too short! I used them on a few holidays and found them really comfortable. My newer ones are Atomic and I've found they make my hands ache. I thought it was just me holding them too tight or something but after reading this I'm going to try to get some new Scott ones. It doesn't look like I can change the handles over which is a shame.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from Snowtrax ski shop in Christchurch. I dug out my old Scott poles and took both sets with me. I fully intended to buy some but when my size was brought out I brought mine in to compare. The grip is the same but as mentioned earlier mine have the flimsier strap but apart from that they were only marginally shorter and too similar to warrant buying a new pair. So I left the shop wtihout buying anything .... What I did like though were the carbon light ones - now they're on my wish list. Are there any disadvantages to carbon ones?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ph, Laughing ...colour coded poles......... your gaperness used to annoy me, but now it just makes me laugh.......

okbye
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Remember to look at

http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/epages/es122229.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122229/Categories/Poles
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
deerman, ninety squid for a couple of sticks? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
mmm I did say my wish list - don't think I can justify that amount.
snow conditions
Scott are widely available and easy to replace baskets on - unlike my first set of poles - gipron! Carbon fibre is the way forward.
snow report
snowpatrol, So are you are the di*k with 8 different colours on?
ski holidays
I've just got a new pair of poles, to go with my new skis Very Happy Very Happy They're Scott, but with the cheaper strap. The handles feel very nice and comfortable but I didn't want a pair that'll stand out & be a target to pinch - the OH has an expensive pair of Lekis and he has to take them with him when he goes in to a restuarant rolling eyes He learned his lesson not to buy ones like that again.
snow conditions
ph, Laughing ...........hey gaper.........isn't it time for that wine o'clock joke you love so much? ........how does it go again?..........

okbye
snow conditions
Dick patrol i last used the wine o'clock gag about ten months ago. wink Laughing
snow report
ph, 10 months....jeez it seems like yesterday...............so what colour poles did you opt for?........ do they match your purse?.......

okbye
ski holidays
cathy, good point about having to keep an eye on valuable ski poles - I don't think I want to be worried or pay that sort of money. I just want to be comfortable - those carbon ones are lovely though lol!
latest report
cathy, The obvious answer to that would be to seperate them when leaving them out of sight. Just like you should do with your skis.
snow conditions
frank4short, I lock my skis up. OK, any determined thief could probably open/cut the lock pretty easily but I want them to pick an easier target. And any thief worth their salt is already in place, watching skiers carefully separating their skis and poles & going in to the restaurant, and then will easily gather up their separated skis - what do you reckon? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
frank4short, I lock my skis up. OK, any determined thief could probably open/cut the lock pretty easily but I want them to pick an easier target. And any thief worth their salt is already in place, watching skiers carefully separating their skis and poles & going in to the restaurant, and then will easily gather up their separated skis - what do you reckon? Madeye-Smiley

Not that hard to add your poles (or those expensive leki's) in the lock then Wink
latest report
Vorda, yes you can add them in - but it's very hard to do it so they can't just be slipped out. There's nothing on them you can loop a lock/chain through. I'm not bothered about mine - and personally the OH is a bit paranoid wink but it's just something I thought worth mentioning.
snow conditions
cathy, My understanding of ski theft is it tends to be more opportunity theft as opposed to something that's predetermined. As it's extremely bad publicity for a mountain to have active thieves on it so they tend to be quite serious about trying to deter it. With this in mind lurkers looking at people skiing in tend to become pretty obvious pretty quickly, this is especially the case over the course of a season. Though i'm ready to be proved wrong on this.

As to me i always separate my skis & so far haven't had the misfortune of ever having had a pair of skis stolen & my skis would be considerably more rare & valuable then probably 98% of other skis i see on & off of the slopes. That & the fact i'm not convinced that most ski locks are actually a serious deterrent to a determined thief.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
I often look at ski poles and think, well isn't a ski pole a ski pole, a ski pole? I am lucky I have been given a really nice set of K2 5 Karat ski poles, but although they are nice things to have, I don't suppose they do more than any other ski pole. Grips are mentioned above, but do they really make such a difference? I have used quite a number of different ski poles and I must admit that once I get the strap adjusted I don't seem to notice the grips, esp under a thick ski glove. Are the various ski poles really that much different and do people really have favourites that they can't part with.

Megamum - it depends what / where you're skiing and how well you ski.

Most beginners and intermediates carry their poles and don't really pole plant.

Better intermediates start using their pole plant as a timing device at the start of the turn.

Really good skiers use the pole plant to generate a moment of inertia, which properly initiates the turn.

And experts skiing on steep terrain use their pole plant for balance and support.

It's a bit like skis - at some point in your skiing career you'll start noticing and appreciating the difference.
snow report
snowpatrol, I went for the red and white Scott Punisher Poles to go with Movement Jam skis.
Nice to see you taking such a close interest in my ski gear. Toofy Grin
snow report
frank4short wrote:
cathy, My understanding of ski theft is it tends to be more opportunity theft as opposed to something that's predetermined. As it's extremely bad publicity for a mountain to have active thieves on it so they tend to be quite serious about trying to deter it. With this in mind lurkers looking at people skiing in tend to become pretty obvious pretty quickly, this is especially the case over the course of a season. Though i'm ready to be proved wrong on this.

As to me i always separate my skis & so far haven't had the misfortune of ever having had a pair of skis stolen & my skis would be considerably more rare & valuable then probably 98% of other skis i see on & off of the slopes. That & the fact i'm not convinced that most ski locks are actually a serious deterrent to a determined thief.

Fully agreed that ski theft is pure opportunity, which is exactly why those small shitty locks do work. They would be nothing to a (pre)determined thief, but on the mountain, they work great.
I use mine when I go out solo, which I tend to do one or two days a week when I ski with the 'slower' group of friends.

Back when I still hired, I actually had my hired ski's stolen on the first day of the week. Went to the shop, got a new pair with the promise that I'd go to the police (which I didnt, pointless anyway). On the end of the tourist week, someone delivered the ski's -said he found them..- and I delivered mine. Never had to pay a dime extra. I'm guessing I got very lucky there Embarassed
ski holidays
Vorda wrote:
On the end of the tourist week, someone delivered the ski's -said he found them..- and I delivered mine. Never had to pay a dime extra. I'm guessing I got very lucky there Embarassed

Apparently it's common enough in resorts with shrewd Frenchies. Take a pair of rentals on the first day. Knowing that the renter will get another pair without too much fuss. Then return them when you're going home & tell the shop you found them. Hey presto a free pair of rental skis for the week.

Back when i was a ski bum ski theft was considered on a par with ethnic cleansing in a kindergarten. I know of one or two incidents where thieves were caught & swiftly doled out justice. However i think cham might be slightly different in so far as it has a much higher concentration of skibums & hardcore skiers than the average ski resort. Where taking a man's skis is like taking away his livelyhood.
snow report
frank4short wrote:
Vorda wrote:
On the end of the tourist week, someone delivered the ski's -said he found them..- and I delivered mine. Never had to pay a dime extra. I'm guessing I got very lucky there Embarassed

Apparently it's common enough in resorts with shrewd Frenchies. Take a pair of rentals on the first day. Knowing that the renter will get another pair without too much fuss. Then return them when you're going home & tell the shop you found them. Hey presto a free pair of rental skis for the week.

Back when i was a ski bum ski theft was considered on a par with ethnic cleansing in a kindergarten. I know of one or two incidents where thieves were caught & swiftly doled out justice. However i think cham might be slightly different in so far as it has a much higher concentration of skibums & hardcore skiers than the average ski resort. Where taking a man's skis is like taking away his livelyhood.

I was most confused that they didn't even charge me rent for the second pair of ski's tbh, I would have only found it fair.
Then again, in the end they actually charged me one day less and I fixed their mistake. That's enough good deeds for one day.

edit: and yes, it was a pretty bad resort imo; Risoul.
snow report
ph,oh yes.......you're one of the most interesting people i knzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

okbye
snow report
snowpatrol, He has fantastic taste though
snow report
Shimmy Alcott,which is more than can be said for you.........

okbye
latest report
snowpatrol,you're doing well. That must have been at least five posts without swearing - the classes are really coming along.
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni,
Quote:

Most beginners and intermediates carry their poles and don't really pole plant.

That'd be me then Toofy Grin N.B. Really pleased with the use of the word 'Most' Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I need to get some poles in the new year. Don't want to spend £40 if I can help it. And yes, they will have to match my skis! Very Happy
ski holidays
Bumpatrol can you afford new skis yet? Or are you still in for a bargain? wink Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy