Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

peak season in Italy / where to go near bergamo mid Feb?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going to in Italy, Bergamo with work until Wednesday Feb 17th and was hoping to stay for an extra few days to get some skiing in. BUT.. my limited research has revealed that my first choice (Bormio) is very expensive during this period, either due to Carnavale??? , English Ski Championship on in Bormio or Mid term break???

My question for anyone that can help is, Is mid Feb a bad time to ski in Italy price and crowd wise?

I'm a cash poor nervous intermediate and dont want to pay big money to share slopes with crowds of Italian kids!! I'm considering Fopollo but this period seems peak / expensive there too. I think i'd source accommodation or find alternative resort but I dont want to bother if every Italian skier / visiter is going to about these few days.

I'm also considering Alagna in Monterosa but I'm worrie that anything near Milan could be very busy. I cant go too far from Bergamo bacause I only have 4 days / 3 days skiing.

Any help very welcomed.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mid feb is expensive to ski anywhere lol, most EU countries seem to have half term then.

Maybe try Santa Caterina (or however you spell it) near Bormio - I haven't been for at least 13/14 years, but I have fond memories of it as a kid.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mid feb is expensive to ski anywhere lol, most EU countries seem to have half term then.

Maybe try Santa Caterina (or however you spell it) near Bormio - I haven't been for at least 13/14 years, but I have fond memories of it as a kid.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
landers, Foppolo might be worth considering if your only there for a few days. It's close to Bergamo and although small it's fine for a few days if you aren't too adventurous. I went in February a couple of years ago and it was quiet in the week but busier at weekends when they come in from Milan and the local race clubs meet. It's pretty inexpensive, I stayed at the Hotel Des Alpes which was very good.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just noticed you mentioned Fopplolo, can't imagine you'll find anywhere cheaper.

Might be worth looking at Carona which joins up with Foppolo or if you have a car one of the nearby towns or villages.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 7-12-09 22:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ya checked Hotel des Alpes online and its way more expensive that week. I could get all inclusive weeks package in austria from ireland for the cost for those few days!!
Although hotel des alpes those include ski pack in its package.

I think I could source cheaper accommodationoption in or near Foppolo but as I said if its really peak time and also worried about a small resort been very busy?

A buddy of mine was happy with monte campione with activitybreaks.com but that spot is even closer to the big cities if its is mod term in Italy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
landers, If it's UK half term week 13 - 20 Feb I think you'll find it's Mardi Gras in Italy. I just checked I was there 22 - 24 Feb 2008, it was fine then.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andalo is good
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys... I'll consider Andalo. I was in Madonna di Campiglio for a long weekend a few years back and loved it. It was late March and its was beautiful, skiing in the sun, warm and still great snow. But the transfer maybe a bit long for andalo, madonna etc. Ponte di legno was my compromise but if I get a deal in or near Foppolo and my dates dont clash with italian mid term i'll go with that.

If anyone hears or knows when Italian mid term break could they post it.

Thanks again for the prompt replies. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
landers, here's a link to a site with pretty comprehensive info on the school holidays in Europe:

http://www.feiertagskalender.ch/ferien.php?geo=3423&jahr=2010&klasse=5&hl=en

The page shown is for Lombardy, the region relating to the resorts near to Bergamo that you are considering, you'll note that there is no mid-term break between New Year and Easter for local schoolkids, quite common in Italy. They have 3 months in the summer instead! Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
landers, Veneto and South Tyrol regions do have some time off for Carnevale (Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday, Fasching) during the week commencing 14th Feb 2010, but that's further East than you were considering. That week is also school holidays in lots of traditionally Catholic areas including Bavaria & Belgium, though I can't imagine many getting as far as Foppolo, too many nearer places in Austria & France.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Carona, Foppolo and San Simone are all v near each other, Carona and san Simone not bad ski resorts, however Foppolo is a little tacky

Carona and Foppolo linked by lift/piste, San Simone linked by bus to Foppolo

Quitest pistes San Simone and Carona
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I realise that I went during a bad snow year, but I wouldn't recommend Foppolo for more than a weekend.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy