Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Starting to ski over 70

Poster: A snowHead
My mother who is in her 70s wants to visit peisey/vallandry when me an my brother ALLANM are out in feb.

The plan was NOT to get her skiing, but allow her some time in the resort for a bit of walking/reading and drinking.

Shes pretty fit (walks alot , avid golfer) and has been checked clean for osteoporosis.

surprisingly, she has expressed an interest in trying a lesson or 2!

Are we completely mad to condone this?

Is there anything we could recommend to her for pre-trip fitness?

I was also thinking of the crosscountry sking near nancroix. Would that be easier on a more mature body?

Tux
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tuxpoo, if she wants to do it, I don't think you can stop her, she's a grown woman !!! Cross-country is bloody hard work.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I met an instructor who said he had taken an over 70 for their first lesson and they had coped absolutley fine. I would have thought you were better off going for alpine than cross country
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tuxpoo, not mad at all if she's fit and healthy. There's no reason why beginner skiers should fall over too often. I'd definitely suggest she gets lessons from an experienced instructor however.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No reason to not do either. Just as likely to fall doing xc as downhill if you do any downhills as skinny skis are had to control. Though cut tracks help as they do the steering for you Smile. Xc is not that hard, its just like beeing out in the hills - you can take it easy and its not much harder than going for a walk, or you can work hard and ski fast and its like going out for a run. If the trails are good and the scenery nice its well worth it.

Saying that I've not done xc in France, most of my xc has been done in Norway or Scotland with one tripto Rhupolding for a bit of racing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Never try to stop a healthy, tenacious 70-year old try anything new. They'll just end up ignoring you, going out to the pub with their friends, necking too much Cinzano & lemonade before rocking home at 3am with a set of traffic lights...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hyweljenkins wrote:
Never try to stop a healthy, tenacious 70-year old try anything new. They'll just end up ignoring you, going out to the pub with their friends, necking too much Cinzano & lemonade before rocking home at 3am with a set of traffic lights...

when did you meet my mum? Razz Very Happy

Tux
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tuxpoo, My father started ice skating at 69 and had his 70th birthday party at the ice rink. He is now in his late 70's and still skates 2 or 3 times a week and has had no major injuries from his new hobby . He was reasonably fit when he started ice skating but is fitter and healthier now because of all the exercise. The only problem is he moans like crazy when dancing on ice is on the telly and all the 'bloody beginners' cramp his style.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's wrong with this - in N America there are whole hordes of retirees whose main winter social activity is skiing? I'd invest in impact shorts for her with good hip padding to provide a bit of reassurance though - my mum wears a pair while skiing post hip replacement.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tuxpoo,
My mother who had sked as a youth but not since had a shot at a similar age and didn't really enjoy it because of the clunky equipment but she absolutely loved the x country. In Laws also enjoyed x country but not really the alpine having not done any before.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wow, cool mum!!!!! id say do everything to faciltate it. She presumably know the probabaility of a few falls! Maybe get a one to one lesson with a recommended instructor that speaks English to kick off?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tuxpoo, make sure she's got good travel and/or medical insurance.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Are we completely mad to condone this?

Does she care whether you "condone" it or not? Twisted Evil No reason why she shouldn't learn - I learnt to snowboard only months before starting to draw my old age pension and that's a lot harder on the body.

Personally I'd suggest she goes for alpine - because although I can ski reasonably competently I found cross country very hard (harder than snowboarding by some distance). That's possibly because of learning in Les Saisies which has a big proper X-country area with hills, not just shuffling round on the flat). It's not the aerobic bit going uphill which is the problem (you get taught the right kind of gliding steps and how to coordinate feet and poles; anybody who is reasonably fit will be OK in beginners lessons). It's the downhill that's the problem - doing a snowplough on those skis is a challenge!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My 2 oldest first-timers were in their seventies, over in Park City in '99...
No worries if they are active & fit.. definitely helps to have a really good, mellow beginners area with suitable tow so they don't have to do any uphill. Good snow conditions definitely favourable as well..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PS unless its completely flat cross-country is more tricky as the boots give little support, the skis are skinny, so needs strong legs (lots of work in the muscles stabilising the knees/ankles - way more than on an Alpine set-up..
latest report
yep, you can't just "sit on your equipment" on cross country skis. Alpine's the way to go for old ladies.
snow conditions
offpisteskiing wrote:
PS unless its completely flat cross-country is more tricky as the boots give little support, the skis are skinny, so needs strong legs (lots of work in the muscles stabilising the knees/ankles - way more than on an Alpine set-up..

Unless one's good at shifting one's hips. Very Happy

Seriously, it's easier than ice skating per meter traveled.

I think the reason the myth of 'xc is hard work' began is because in xc one commits to cover -distance- whereas in skating one merely does a few loops on the ice every hour.
latest report
XC is awesome, and can be energy-efficient.. but for over 70s beginners wouldn't necessarily be my first choice!
snow conditions
Thanks everyone for the comments. The XC was my idea as a compromise. It seems the consensus is that XC is prob a bit harder for the over 21 beginner.

I'm also please that so far 100% of you agree it isnt complete madness to learn to ski in your older years.

Im a boarder and always think of the first few times (on dry slope and hill) that REALLY hurt. I understand that skiing is far from the brutal baptism of snowboarding.

I will probably draw the line at her boarding NehNeh

Had a chat with my brother and we are planning on getting her some hip pads for xmas.
Allanm also got an Ideal lady instructor lined up at the resort.

Thanks again.

Tux
snow conditions
tuxpoo, great. Please let us know how she gets on. The hip-pads are probably a good idea (just think, some guys have no idea what to buy their mothers for Christmas!) In terms of preparation - it's squats and lunges, isn't it. wink And maybe some energetic hilly walks. And something for the triceps - dips on a firm sofa base work well (poling can make triceps quite sore if they're not used to doing much work.
snow report
tuxpoo, I'm, ahem, of mature years and would personally appreciate neither hip pads nor a female instructor! She'll be fine - if she feels she needs extra padding, she can get it herself, my recommendation is that you give her some expensive make-up for Christmas and find her a sexy (but kind) male instructor! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Do not buy your mother hip pads for Christmas unless you want them wrapped round your neck and pulled tightly.
ski holidays
Laughing
latest report
Helen Beaumont Laughing But this is a lady who wants to learn to ski! I think it's a great idea - especially having collected the worst injury ever falling on my hip on the ice rink in Chamonix, many moons ago. But I agree about a sexy male instructor. wink the idea of men buying expensive make up - or perfume - is really bad; redolent of dashing out on Christmas Eve and asking the assistant in the pharmacy for "something expensive".... and as for those articles suggesting men buy sexy underwear Shocked
latest report
pam w,
Quote:

the idea of men buying expensive make up - or perfume - is really bad; redolent of dashing out on Christmas Eve and asking the assistant in the pharmacy for "something expensive"....
It needn't be like that, some men do actually know how to research in advance what might be acceptable. It's remarkably easily done. rolling eyes Also, I'm not saying the good lady shouldn't wear hip pads - though, personally, I'd rather hurt myself than increase my girth yet further - merely saying that as Christmas presents go, they fail miserably.
latest report
pam w wrote:
And something for the triceps - dips on a firm sofa base work well
What are dips?
snow report
snowball, garlic, blue cheese. thousand Island.... wink
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
What are dips?

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
tuxpoo, I'm, ahem, of mature years and would personally appreciate neither hip pads nor a female instructor! She'll be fine - if she feels she needs extra padding, she can get it herself, my recommendation is that you give her some expensive make-up for Christmas and find her a sexy (but kind) male instructor! Toofy Grin

On thinking about this, you are absolutely right, I'll forget the idea of female instructor, it was just that the best instructor I could think of.. for my Mum, was female. Funnily enough I do know an instructor that fits the bill as in 'sexy, kind and male' but instruction (at least with me) left a bit to be desired. He'll be fine (;>).

Edit... left out sexy. V important.
latest report
that's a bit hard-core. You can just put your hands behind you on any firm and heavy thing (like the base of your sofa, under the cushions) then let your bum down towards the floor, with bent legs. Up and down. See http://katiewbutler.com/advanced/triceps_dip.htm - bent legs makes it easier.

Just the job for those Bingo Wings. Twisted Evil
latest report
pam w, snowball is male.
snow report
tuxpoo, Good on mum, I hope she enjoys it. The other thing that occurs is that being older her circulation may not be as good as someone younger. You could suggest that she invests in some good quality base layers to stay warm & comfortable. A close fitting base layer may also provide just a bit of extra support should she do anything that could stess older bones and joints. Instructors on here will clearly advise, but I imagine that most instructors would make sure she warms up properly, and in any event this is probably worth her doing whether walking or skiing. Even us younger folk really ought to do this, but I think it becomes more important that those with slightly older bones and joints don't neglet something this simple. Maybe impact shorts are a little pointed, but I think mum would be prepared to acknowledge that anything that ensures she enjoys herself safely despite her being a more mature lady is no doubt a good thing to consider. That said I would have no problems if someone bought me a nice expensive set of impact protection base layers. I wear a back protector when I ride and having fallen with one and without I can't see the point in hurting yourself if you don't have to. It's only cost that stops me wearing such gear when skiing, but I was pleased to see that my new Vist salopettes did have protection built in to certain areas.
ski holidays
tuxpoo, Last season we skied in the Grand massif, our chalet host asked if his 72 Dad could ski with us, he had been out with us the day before so knew how we skied, he mentioned that he had only taken it up a couple of years back and was a bit nervous, he obviously recognised that the OH and I are caring people. We set off and did a couple of runs and it seemed fine, then he suggested the unpisted red! We looked at each other but as he was insistent we went for it with one of us leading the other following, having got to the bottom we headed of over the mountain to seek out a nice green run, that he had done before with his son, we had to ski like demons to keep up with him, I have a GPS and we certainly went fast!

So yes let your mother have a go, if not she will only start the apres ski early! Smile

Going to Vallandry there is the gentle blue to come down on, you don't need to go straight for the red Shocked
snow report
Great choice of resort, nice chilled forest bits and plenty of cat tracks to get started. The English school - New Generation (only slight irony) - has a good rep.

I may start base jumping in my 70s. I'm too chicken at the moment.
snow conditions
Quote:

pam w, snowball is male.

comprex, sorry, what did I say to prompt that? Puzzled My only gender-specific comments were with tuxpoo's mother in mind.
latest report
radar wrote:
tuxpoo,
So yes let your mother have a go, if not she will only start the apres ski early! Smile

Yes, That's what I'm worried about, she's way more likely to damage herself on the way back from the Mont Blanc than skiing
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
comprex, sorry, what did I say to prompt that? Puzzled

I was making a machofunny about chickdips wink , you merely supplied the straight lines.
latest report
In fact joking apart the apres may well be the biggest risk.

As folks have said beginners don't tend to fall heavy if at all, and mum will be very unlucky if its totally solid underfoot on the piste.

However, the street at night or first thing in the morning may be a completely different kettle of fish. I have seen middle aged people go down v. very heavily on ice, esp. black ice; and I've seen incredibly bruised, elbows, knees, coccyx areas (oh, and egos) as a result. So much so that I have no hesitation in wearing cat tracks on my shoes in any areas that look iffy (I keep them in my pockets to slip on my boots), the exact make shouldn't matter, all of them probably have the desired effect. However, as mum has older bones, despite her being cleared for osteoporosis it would still pay for her to avoid falling onto a rock hard surface. Another thing I sometimes do is to take a ski pole out with me, the third point of contact with the ground can be helpful if its icy.

I would also be tempted to pay attention to the small print in insurance policies just to check that there are no age exclusions, I've no idea if any are age limited (perhaps in these days of PC they can't do this), but it would do no harm to check.
ski holidays
Hurtle, Point taken about hip pads for xmas. What was I thinking Embarassed

Megamum, Good point about warmth. She has alot of stuff to play golf in the depths of winter, that may include base layers.

Cat tracks that you can slip in your pocket? Think I might be interested!

Cunners, Vallandry is great for skiers as the foret is perfect for beginners. The blue down from the top of the derby is a nice next step up from that.

Insurance was a problem. Think it cost her more for a few days than my whole year (which includes Mountain biking).

Just realised she gets a FREE lift pass!!!

Im trying to find out i there is any age limits on carte neige? Anyone know anything?

Tux
snow report
Re: Hip Pads: I think that these are essential for older people, and am not convinced about the ones that are are sold in the shops. I use 2" thick "Dunlopillo" stuffed down my trousers. It's great when you fall, as you soon bounce back up! Very Happy Although as a male I do look like a German Frau!! Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy