Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Igluski

Poster: A snowHead
Somehow I seem to be on their email list and today they mail me with a tantalising 'ski deals for January from £285 per person'.

It's almost conceivable that I might be able to get a week off work in January in addition to my main ski holiday in March, so my mind starts working overtime.

However, further investigations prove that £285 per person would actually be £745 for me (including accomm/flights/transfers/lift pass/ski carriage) and that's self catering! A whopping £125 more than I'm paying to go half board with Crystal in March booked way back in April.

Last minute 'deals'? I think not...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How many other people will be in the apartment with you?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, It is frustrating that deals such as these always apply to either two or four people to a room, and any other number will mean significant under-occupancy supplements.

Although you can search on Igluski for trips for just one person, they still don't usually include under-occupancy supplements in te pries they come back with.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Inghams were doing some deals that weren't subject to the usual under occupancies recently, think they just wanted rid.

www.inghams.co.uk/ski-holidays/late-deals/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The deal of £285 per person applied to 6 people in an apartment for 6. It was more expensive for 4 people in an apartment for 4 and base price of £445 for 2 people in an apartment for 2. Just goes to show that these special deals are only special if you like being a human sardine!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tried to find a holiday with igluski last year. They may say they try to beat any price, but when I told the guy on the phone I already had a holiday I was interested in for a god price, and no matter how comfy the hotel in Arinsal he was offering me might be I didn't want to go there, he seemed almost angry that I had wasted his time. I was asked why I was phoning when I'd already found a holiday with the tour operator. Not exactly good customer service, and like you say way too expensive.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi queen bodecia, I'm the Product Manager at Igluski and thought I'd personally reply to try and explain.

As alex heney mentioned, under occupancy supplements often force the price of your holiday up, particularly with self catered apartments which are usually designed to be shared by 4 or 6 people. For this reason, many of our customers travelling on their own choose to stay in a chalet or hotel where we have a wide selection of single rooms available, and on occasion we have deals to twin or double rooms in chalets without under occupancy supplements when one person travels on their own. You may find this page useful - it's a list of chalets & hotels that have single rooms (although I can't promise that they will be available on a given date!) http://www.igluski.com/single-rooms . We'll of course always be happy to do the searching for you and find you a holiday without or with minimal under occupancy charge.

We would love to be able to show under occupancy supplements on our website but all of the prices on our site are provided by our suppliers and unfortunately they don't provide that information so we are currently unable to do so. We do strive to make sure the prices on our site are as accurate as possible and where possible we include flight supplements and other supplements in our prices which some of our competitors do not.

The £285 per person offer that you saw was actually for a holiday departing next weekend and was based on 2 people sharing a room. With snow falling all this week, conditions in the alps are superb, perhaps now might be the time for the extra ski trip!

I hope this helps (sorry for waffling on!) and I hope we can help you find a great deal in the future!

Best Regards

James
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
reversecamber, welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
reversecamber, thanks for the reply. I knew this to be the case, I was just allowing my excitement at seeing an email entitled 'amazing ski deals from £285 per person' to run away with me. For the precise reasons you mention I travel half board (either chalet or hotel) and normally to Italy or Austria. I was really just commenting on how these emails suck people in to believing they can actually afford a second (in my case) ski holiday.

I do know better. Honestly!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, my mistake. The 6 person apartment deal was actually £272 per person!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For skiing trips anyone's basic rule of thumb should be about £100 per day on snow travelling from the UK. You can undercut this if you're very savvy/flexible/not fussy/ prepared to skin up rather than use lifts/whittle your own skis a la Ray Mears etc. Think on this basis and there's no reason to be disappointed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
prepared to skin up rather than use lifts/whittle your own skis a la Ray Mears

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, that's pretty accurate. I'm paying £620 for my trip to La Thuile in March (half board hotel, flights, transfers, ski carriage, lift pass).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
For skiing trips anyone's basic rule of thumb should be about £100 per day on snow travelling from the UK. You can undercut this if you're very savvy/flexible/not fussy/ prepared to skin up rather than use lifts/whittle your own skis a la Ray Mears etc. Think on this basis and there's no reason to be disappointed.

That's not too far off.

For my trip in January I am paying £418 (half board), then the lift pass will be €179 - so about £570 for 6 days.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What really annoys me is when "amazing" deals come up in Canada for places like the Fairmont Banff springs or Chateau whistler. You then find out when reading the small print that these HOTEL rooms are based on 4 people sharing.
I mean, I can see what they mean about apartments, obviously if it is three bedroomed it is going to be cheaper for 6 people than one, but who on earth would want to share a hotel room with another couple? (Obviously swingers are theexceptions!)
snow report
stu330, if you book direct with these hotels (most of Banff), you pay for the room not the occupancy. I imagine most TOs get the same deal (massively discounted) and use the under occupancies to pad their profits.
snow report
arv wrote:
stu330, if you book direct with these hotels (most of Banff), you pay for the room not the occupancy. I imagine most TOs get the same deal (massively discounted) and use the under occupancies to pad their profits.

Well yes, the TOs will get a per-room price, but they then price the holiday based on dividing that price by 4 then adding in the cost of 4 airfares and 4 transfers, then their profit margin.

So although their overall room cost is no more if 2 are occupying the room rather than 4, their income is lower.

And quite a lot of people will travel as a family of 2 adults and 2 kids - for those the 4 people to a room is ideal(ish).
ski holidays
And then they get stung for underoccupancy because the rates require "4 Adults" to share!
ski holidays
stu330, I'm a bit past sharing with another couple but it works fine for my wife and I and 2 daughters (although I do have to wait a very long time for the bathroom!).
snow report
theres deals on iglu for like 150pp going to italy in feb if i remember right. thats a week sc,
ski holidays
We had a ten day trip to winterpark a few years ago via crystal and got stung for the underoccupancy as there was only two of us. Imagine my surprise when we arrived to find our room only had a king size bed. Not even a sofa bed. Were all four adults for full occupancy supposed to sqeeze into the bed. Now thats sharing.
ski holidays
had a quick browse on my phone on the bus to work

theres Jan deals on there for less than £200 Toofy Grin

they appear to be including flights, wonder why theres prices so low Puzzled
snow report
Skola, They will be places nobody wants to go to, from very limited airports (probably only either Gatwick or Stansted), at horrible times of day.
snow report
And someone needs to say: £100/day on snow, but add two on-snow days if you go by train... (I mean £130 SNCF, not £250 snowtrain RIP)
latest report
Skola, Iglu's a travel agent, not a tour operator. I've used them several times without any trouble at all. Invariably I ring up, give them some idea of what I want, then they do the hard work.

I'm surprised that queen bodecia moaned about the final price of the trip she looked at, given that it must have been clear that she'd be stumping for under occupancy. IMO it was whinging for whinging's sake.
ski holidays
i see.

might give them a bell snowHead
ski holidays
hyweljenkins, I wasn't moaning, just pointing out that what you see is very often not what you get. I accept that no matter what I do I get hit with under-occupancy charges. It's the price I pay for the luxury of being single, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

It would be nice to see TOs and agents like Igluski showing actual total costs upfront on their website/offer emails but as the chap from Iglu explained, it would be very difficult due to all the variables.

Ho hum.
ski holidays
hyweljenkins wrote:
Skola, Iglu's a travel agent, not a tour operator. I've used them several times without any trouble at all. Invariably I ring up, give them some idea of what I want, then they do the hard work.

I'm surprised that queen bodecia moaned about the final price of the trip she looked at, given that it must have been clear that she'd be stumping for under occupancy. IMO it was whinging for whinging's sake.

Glad I don't work for a tour operator........
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, they offered a 6-person apartment for "from £285 per person". That's pretty up-front and is entirely accurate.
ski holidays
hyweljenkins, it wasn't quite that upfront. The email was titled 'january ski deals from £285 per person' or words to that effect. I can't remember what the actual £285 deal was now, you had to click through a link, but the 6-person apartment was actually £272 per person (in Les Arcs I think), following that link took me to apartments in the same resort (maybe even the same complex?) which were £445 for 2 people in a studio apartment. My initial thought was that 2 people in a studio apartment would be full occupancy, therefore why would it cost so much more than the 6-person apartment? But on reflection it was probably a 4-person apartment with under-occupancy supplement added that I hadn't noticed.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, I think you have a very good grievance, and it's not ameliorated by IGLU's excuse.

I started a thread on the subject a year or so ago (Improving on Sardine Occupancy Pricing) which strangely enough you were the first to reply to. Smile

I reckon Snowheads could step into the breach given IGLU are evidently happy to wave it off as up to their suppliers. I bet you if IGLU rejigged their website to present offers on a more realistic basis, the suppliers would soon bend over backwards to accommodate it.
ski holidays
crosbie, I have the same email. It's the same as those sent by any other travel agent/operator, and is perfectly clear. The subject line says "Top Ski Holiday Deals from £285 pp". I've got another from First Choice that says "Fantastic ski deals from just £199". Both of the messages offer what they say. Don't forget that the email only has to be correct when it's sent. If a recipient hangs about then it's possible that those deals are gone. There's no grievance there at all.

I read your other thread, and posted in it last year. I think it's perfectly reasonably for a hotel/chalet/apartment to charge a single traveller the price of two people for a twin or double room. It's unfair of a TO to charge double for the flight, though I doubt they do that. A quick check with Crystal shows £495 per adult, plus a £98 single supplement - that's not at all unreasonable. However, Crystal then knocks off £29.58 for booking on-line, and another £80 labelled "Travel Supplement".
snow conditions
hyweljenkins, the issue is not single supplements, it's presenting misleading offer prices.

I'm off to Banff via LastMinute and they weren't shy to present a price base on 4 sharing a twin room (2 small double beds), and let's not forget the 10 quid per person admin fee.

Why present an offer price that only 1 in 100 punters would actually consider accepting, i.e. those four hard-up students (too young to snore) who'd think nothing of cramming themselves into a twin room, and would like to know if their two buddies can kip on the floor too? Even then, they'd still get pissed off by the admin fees and other hidden costs.

Why not present an offer price that reflects the sleeping configuration that 99% of punters would expect? Those rare 4 students can then assume it'd be even cheaper if they crammed themselves in.
snow report
My issue would not be with them stating from x pounds. Rather it's when you use their website search engine and specify 2 adults only, the returns they give you shouldn't be 'based on four or six sharing'.

If you use their (Iglu) search engine, on their website, to search for a holiday which matches your requirements of 2 adults, I'm not sure why they then return an unsuitable holiday with a clear price at the top of the page, and then small print somewhere further down stating 'based on four sharing' - you haven't searched for accommodation for four, so why try to be duplicitous and intentionally mislead?

/edit - interesting, when you type 'Iglu', it automatically inserts a hyperlink to the website...
ski holidays
crosbie wrote:

Why not present an offer price that reflects the sleeping configuration that 99% of punters would expect?

Because it isn't possible.

There is no such thing as a sleeping configuration 99% of punters would expect, or anywhere near that proportion.

There are many people travel as a family, and will reasonably happily share a room for 4.

And others who will share a room with another couple. I've done that myself, although not when skiing.

Although most offers outside of France and North America tend to be for two people anyhow.

I agree with fr0sty that it is very much more of an issue when you specify the number of people in a search and the search then comes back without any relevant under-occupancy supplements included in the price.

I don;t see that there is any issue at all with them having headline offers saying "from £x" where it will only be applicable in slightly unusual circumstances.
snow report
Ryan air flights from £1.

Come on. Where there's a will there's an honest price.

Burdening 99% of the punters with the hassle of multiplying the offer price by 2-4 cons the gullible, pisses off the intelligent, irritates the experienced , and amuses the tour operator.

There's a market opportunity for a tour operator (or site like Ig1u) to be honest and upfront, and thus win hearts and minds.

Contempt for your customers may be the order of the day, but there's no need to be defeatist about this.
snow report
crosbie wrote:
Ryan air flights from £1.

Come on. Where there's a will there's an honest price.

Burdening 99% of the punters with the hassle of multiplying the offer price by 2-4 cons the gullible, pisses off the intelligent, irritates the experienced , and amuses the tour operator.

Pisses off those few among the intelligent who prefer to be pissed off than get a bargain.

And it is unlikely to significantly irritate the experienced, because those who are significantly irritated by it simply won;t become experienced - they will go elsewhere.

Quote:

There's a market opportunity for a tour operator (or site like Ig1u) to be honest and upfront, and thus win hearts and minds.

Why don't you try it then?

I suspect you will find there isn't a market opportunity, except for small individual operators. Which is why none of the big boys do it.

Quote:

Contempt for your customers may be the order of the day, but there's no need to be defeatist about this.

It isn't really about being defeatist. It is about the fact that most of us simply don't see it as the issue that you do.

We know what to expect, and only occasionally get a bit irritated by it.
ski holidays
I don't object to single supplements up to a reasonable amount. The luxury of being single and having my own space is worth it to me. I like having my own space, I live alone in a 3-bedroom house, and a holiday is a luxury purchase (not a necessity), why would I lower my standards? But I would object to paying double. I'm not two people, I'm not going to eat two people's amount of food and I do not take up the place of two people on a flight or transfer bus.

I have an issue with large supplements for single rooms. I've had a single room before that wasn't much bigger than a cupboard, yet it cost me £50 more than a couple sharing a large double room with a bathroom (not shower room) and a balcony. How is that fair?

Anyway, I do realise that there was nothing wrong with the original email from Igluski. It just elicited momentary interest until I investigated further and discovered no reason for my interest.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, spot on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy