Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kaprun?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Kaprun on 16th Dec for 4 days.

Can you give me the good/bad news for on/off piste, lifts, what to avoid, aprez etc.

I'm confident to ski anything on piste and would consider hiring a guide to go off-piste if the conditions are right (and if you think it's worth the expense).

The last time I went to Austria was 15 years ago to St Anton, as a 2nd week novice, where I perfected my racing snowplough (full tuck position, obviously).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi I had 4 days in Kaprun at the end of Nov on 2006, the only area open was on the glacier, it has its own website and give daily snow report and live webcams to whet your appetite before you go. I doubt however if there will be any off piste in mid dec for you.

On the glacier there are 3 or 4 T bar lifts after the gondola, plus 2 runs down to the mid station, one blue one red, the glacier is a mix of the 2. When I first arrived I was a bit dissapointed at the small ski area on the glacier, but in reality had a great 4 days repeating the same few runs over and over working on improving my skiing, the best bits were following the basher down on freshly groomed snow Very Happy There are food and drink places at the top station reasonably priced, plus one cafe at the very top of the glacier which is worth a visit and a quick coffee if the weather is kind. On returning to town the buses were crowded so I would not advise trying to catch the last one in case you dont manage to get on it Embarassed

I stayed in a pension on the outskirts of town, used the free bus to get the the gondola base station each day. You can buy your pass there, and hire skis at the mid or top station, I used the mid station and was able to leave them there plus my boots overnight each day. It was very quiet when I visited, I did not see much apres, there is a fair range of places to eat, the pizza place near main square was the best of the bunch for atmosphere.

Hope you enjoy your time, I am also hoping to get away on my own in early Jan and have considered going back, but will do so only if more of the area including Zell am See is open.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just got back from Kaprun today, been there for a week long course.

Conditions there are good at the moment. There is skiing from the midstation upwards and most of the pistes were open. Looks like there was more snow there today also. Lots of race training camps etc on the slopes at the moment so it was quite busy sometimes.

There is already some off-piste possible, so have to disagree with geoffknight......as there can only be more by mid dec.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kaprun was ok nightlife, but I'd definately recommend a night out in Zell!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jzBun,

I don't wish to put a dampener on your trip but when you are in Kaprun you should visit the memorial to those who died in the funicular disaster there a few years ago.

It's a sobering experience but I think anyone going to Kaprun should go there.

The memorial is the concrete building in the corner of the car park.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Was in Kaprun last year and actually preferred skiing down the road in Zell...Quick free bus ride and your pass covers it - Kaprun itself is a nice village....Apres ski was lively enough - Glass bar was the usual Austrian/German 90's music type stuff until about 8, great fun though and a good atmosphere (it's the place where the 2 local ski schools do there prive givings)....There's also a bar/pizza place that we enjoyed (same place that geoffknight refers to I suspect), open fire oven behind the bar counter..........Can't remember the name of it now but will come back to you if I do
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Remembered it - Palettis
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Doubt nightlife in Zell will be up to speed pre-xmas.

If you are looking for instruction ....
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56304&highlight=

It can sometimes get a bit windy on the glacier so take something to protect your face.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54511&highlight=kaprun
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all your info. I just hope we get another decent dump over the next couple of weeks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy