Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this too risky?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowHead s

Would or have any snowHead s ever waited till arriving at Geneva to organise their transfer? In particular if you had done this with a late arrival say after 7.30.

Or

Is this as stupid as off piste when there is an avalanch warning Puzzled

Or

worst case senario hiring a car when you havn't driven out there before Puzzled and hoping you find someone equally desperate who will share this with you Laughing

Ps. Quite happy driving manual left hookers though.

Is this a reckless thought?

Thankyou snowHead s
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Is this as stupid as off piste when there is an avalanch warning

No.

Quote:

hoping you find someone equally desperate who will share this with you

very improbable

I suspect "walk up" car hire rates would be pretty ruinous. Why would you want to do that, anyway? If you KNOW you're going to be arriving late, it's worth thinking about the onward stage. But earlier in the day, no problem - there are plenty of buses. though they're by no means cheap.

I've never done it myself, but I gather there are 100% reliable trains from Geneva to various Swiss resorts. Maybe that would be a better bet?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
youngeratheart, where are you going from Geneva?

If you don't have much luggage, don't look like a serial killer and are going somewhere popular eg Chamonix, PdS, Moutiers etc you could probably blag a lift off someone if you make yourself up a card in French and English, offer to pay your share of fuel, get in to the arrivals hall quickly and position yourself somewhere that people can see you or maybe in the car hire area.

As Pam W has indicated above, if you are going somewhere in Switzerland you can just jump on a train although with a 19.30 arrival you need to check connections to whichever resort you are going to. Zermatt would be fine as the train goes all night but Verbier is by bus from Le Chable which stops relatively early. Then you need a taxi and they are expensive in Switzerland.

If you do have to rent a car at full rates it will be very expensive and you'd be very lucky to find someone else in the same position as you at the airport. It's not a very Swiss thing to do.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't see a problem if you are prepared to pay for a hotel room near Geneva if all else fails. Then you can have a contingency plan of getting the first transfer bus in the morning.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I still don't see why, if you were prepared to pay "walk up" car hire rates, you wouldn't pay the cheaper advance booking rates and be pretty certain of being tucked up in your warm bed, near the pistes, the same night. If you know there are no buses/trains which would get you to destination that night, it's either that, a private taxi transfer or, as queen bodecia suggests, stay in hotel and go by bus the same morning. I'd be surprised if that was much, if any, cheaper than hiring a car though and would lose you at least half a day's skiing. Depending on where you're going, the driving isn't difficult and there are plenty of hints on directions etc on snowheads (and websites such as viamichelin.com)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
From your other post I assume you are going to La Tania?

You could always phone up Bens Bus (http://www.bensbus.co.uk) and ask them to drop you off as it's on the way on the Geneva/Meribel transfer. £67 return. You'll get an extra half days ski in as well if your flight is late on the following saturday.

Edit: Actually it might not be on the way, but you could get a transfer to Meribel and then a Taxi to La Tania. Or hitch.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thankyou all for your help

pam w, the airmiles flight I was going to book arrived at 7.40 and I found bus and trains would not be running late enough. I would have been still collecting my baggage when the last sheduled trains and busses left. Driving is not something I' d realish with no previous shared experience. so only a last resort.

bobinch, Good idea for getting a lift, I'm bottling out and paying hard earned cash for an earlier flight, the chalet operator is stretching the 9-5 window and I shall be arriving at 5.25pm. Chicken? Yes. relaxed? yes Toofy Grin

queen bodecia, Yep but lose half a day on the white stuff Sad

Spikyhedgehog, Already tried but he sugested getting off at Moutiers and taxi from there, It would be midnight or there abouts and guessing taxi would be silly money. What a great website he has, Jenny Cook snowHead put me on to that one but not for this trip.

Right, time to book an earlier flight, must go..... Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy