Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morning or afternoon lessons only - Ellmau

Poster: A snowHead
We've booked to go away with friends over New Year to Ellmau. 2 of us are pretty new to skiing, but our OHs are very experienced. I'd like to have lessons for either morning or afternoons, but not both so we can ski with our OHs in the other session.

It seems most of the ski schools in Ellmau offer 4 hours instruction per day, 2 hours in morning, 2 hours in the afternoon. Can anyone recommend a ski school (or private instructor) in Ellmau that will instruct for just morning or afternoons?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just go to Les Deux Alpes for a week over the summer and have lessons with easiski.... then you will be much better when you get there

www.easiski.com (You can also check her posts or reviews from snowheads that have had lessons with her)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm - not a very helpful response.

hammerite, the 4 hours instruction/day for the whole day seems to be an Austrian thing and you'll find that at most Austrian ski schools for classes. If there are two of you at a similar level, why don't you book a couple of mornings private instruction for the two of you? You'll be sharing the costs and no doubt learn a whole lot more than if you are in a class. Have fun! snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hammerite, I had a BASI guide out in Ellmau and I know they do competitive private tuition. They generally do 3 hour lessons am or pm. I would definitely suggest doing a morning sesh as you are going with others you can meet up for lunch and then ski with your friends.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2 hours in the morning.. have your lessons before you get knackered/drunk.... practice what you have been taught in the afternoon ..
if its a weeks hol my missus favoured....... lesson.. lesson.. no lessons.. lesson then thats it for the week
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
obv if your fitter then u can do more.. but its good to have a few days all to your self
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies guys.

The private tuition seems likely. Any recommendations?
Who did you use Surfsuperstar?

Canv - I did wonder about doing something like that. My last ski holiday we had 3hrs tuition every morning, then met up with the OH in the afternoon for her to show me some of the nice places she'd found in the morning (and scare me witless on some of the trickier stuff) - I'm reasonably fit so was pretty much out from when the lifts opened to when they shut with about 30-60 mins break (funny how I never needed the loo come to think of it!). I could do 2- 3 full days tuition then spend the last 2-3 days exploring.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I didnt have tuition but there were BASI representatives out there(British association of Ski Instructors) I would presume by that that you could get lessons with them. BASI usually go around the 'touristy' hotels in Ellmau. Where are you staying?hammerite,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I didnt have tuition but there were BASI representatives out there(British association of Ski Instructors) I would presume by that that you could get lessons with them. BASI usually go around the 'touristy' hotels in Ellmau. Where are you staying?hammerite,
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry for late reply - we're staying at the Alpenhof I think.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bump of an old thread...... Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hammerite, Did you get your lessons sorted out? I've been investigating lessons for our son and came across this ski school that offers half days. It's in the next village along from you, but only requires a short bus ride or depending on your ability you can ski over from the top of the funicular(according to the piste map).

http://www.schischule-salvenmoser.at/englisch/default.htm

Hope this helps. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Avago, will take a look at that. No lessons sorted yet, we're considering a private lesson for a day at the beginning of the week (and maybe a bit more) - pricey in comparison to group lessons, but maybe we could progress more in one day with only two of us, than in a group Puzzled ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hammerite, I have only ever had private lessons and do feel that you get what you pay for. Saying that, I get the impression from Austrian ski schools that they keep the numbers in each class to a more manageable level. I have contacted a few and none of them have required us to book in advance, so I will be checking out locations and facilities on arrival for Little Avago. I think the week you will be there is generally more "peak" than ours.

Have you been on www.skiwelt.at/en

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hammerite, I wouldn't leave it too late - ski schools will be very busy and you might find quite limited hours available for private lessons.

A whole day lesson is probably not the best way to go - much better, and no more expensive, to have three 2 hour lessons, and then really try to practice in between.

In our resort maximum length private lessons in peak times are 1.5 hours - but that's in France, probably Austria is different.
latest report
Thanks for the advice Pam. I'll get my head together with my friend that I'm likely to have lessons with and see what he says, and obviously try and find availability of the local ski schools.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy