Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kirchdorf?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at booking for January at the moment, and one of the most likely looking options for me is Kirchdorf - hotel Neuwirt (Schneewinkel region).

I know that there aren't many runs in the immediate local area, but I believe the pass includes a ski bus linking all the areas within the Schneewnikel (St Johan in Tyrol, Waidring-Steinplatte, Fieberbrunn, and smaller areas).

Does anybody have any experience of this? What is the bus service like, and times to get between the different resorts? Are any of the individual areas worth more than 1 day?

I can't find any reference to any of the areas in the resort reports post.

And would it be reasonable to use the post bus to get to other Kitzbuheler Alpen areas (in particular Kitbuhel or the Ski Welt), and pay €30 more for the Kitzbuheler Alpen allstar pass, rather than just the Schneewinkel pass?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alex_heney, I remember the TO transfer to Kitzbuhel in 2008 went through St Johann, Waidring & Kirchdorf and all seemed very close to each other (and not far from Kitz either). There were a lot of public buses in Kitzbuhel (plus two train stations) so that would indicate that it's pretty easy to get about. I stayed in Kitzbuhel all week. Plenty of skiing there for the likes of me even though there was no snow at resort level.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alex_heney, Alex PM Espri and he'll be able to give you the low down as this is in his backyard, so to speak. He's moved into his house in Austria now but cannot get a phone line installed yet. So he only gets on the internet when he goes back to a friends house in his previous village.

I know the area and think you may have problems with getting around without a car. The inter-village buses are not that frequent I think but I'm not sure as I always use my car!

Sue
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney, our friends from the US go to Kirchdorf quite regularly, From memory, the buses to the Schneewinkel resorts are quite good and easy to use, but getting to the rest of the Alpen resorts was a lot less simple. The individual areas are quite small though although enjoyable.

D
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney, The buses from Kirchdorf are very regular and always on time. It's about 15mins to Steinplatte and 10 mins to St Johan. Kitzbuhel is probably easier by train from St Johan. It was my first ski holiday, so I can't say whether you'd get more than a day out of Steinplatte - but it looked huge to me back then Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alex_heney, I did a day at Fieberbrunn when I was in the area in '07, varied runs, good lifts, nice views across to the Steinberge, very enjoyable, uncrowded and best snow in the area (we also skied Kitz & SkiWelt), I liked the rolling red/blue combos served by the Larchfilzen chair. Probably only a couple of day's worth at the most though, unless you could access the off-piste. We had a car so can't comment on the buses.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, Alex, back on line from today.

As you thought, Kirchdorf itself is a very small area, though I had an enjoyable afternoon there last winter (see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1134113&highlight=kirchdorf#1134113). I've no personal experience of the buses but from the other reports they seem good enough. Anyhow, presuming I'm around while you're here, we could meet up again and I could provide transport. That could include an excursion to the other Kitzbüheler Alps areas, though for a week I expect the Schneewinkel would probably be enough.

In order of preference/interest I would rate them (best first):
Fieberbrunn (maybe I'm biased - that's where I'm living now Very Happy )
Steinplatte, St. Johann
Buchensteinwand, Kössen
Durchholzen

(Kössen and Durchholzen are further away and wouldn't be so easy to reach without your own transport).

The areas aren't large, like the SkiWelt or Kitzbühel, but I find each fine for a day's skiing and, if you're prepared to travel about, then you could have an interesting week with plenty of variety.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everybody.

I haven't booked yet - I thought I might try asking first for once Smile

But it looks like about the best value for money option around at the moment for what I want. And from the replies, it does sound like a decent choice.

espri, I would love to meet up again if you are around. I really enjoyed skiing with you last year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kirchdorf is small but is close enough to St Johann for a bit of life if thats your thing. Had many fun days over at Steinplatte and Fieberbrunn. You can ski over to Germany so 2 countries on one day.

I remember a few days there being harldy anyone around at the Steinplatte so no queues and lovely conditions.

I had a car over there so like most others cant comment on the bus service but the buses in Austria are quite reliable so I would say you would be fine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK, I have just booked it.

1 week in the Hotel Neuwirt from 9th January, flying Gatwick - Salzburg.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hope we can meet up sometime. I'll PM you with my contact details.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney, Hopefully I'll still be fit after the Sölden trip and we can meet up again too! It'll be good to ski with you two again.

Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
espri, Samerberg Sue, that would be good.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy