Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dodge Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So bootfitters?

What's the skinny on carbon fibre boots? Seems like Harald Harb is all over them so reason enough to doubt?

http://www.dodgeskiboots.com/boot_images.htm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/87684/there-s-a-new-ski-boot-in-the-land-dodge-thoughts some more on the boots here I would of thought the fitting would be somewhat more limited than a conventional plastic boot.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm... Carbon fibre doesn't like to flex...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
saw a pair in the flesh the other day.... strange creation, they had been stretched a bit and had been ground for a heel spur, but it does look very limited as to what can be done, the time taken to do the work is much increased as well due to the material

very light and very torsionally stiff but a bit rough around the edges in terms of construction
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know a few guys skiing in them. They are meant to be amazing for GS as very edge aggressive, but take some getting used to.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM,
Quote:

had been ground for a heel spur

Would have thought that might make them prone to delamination.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the worst should happen they can cut a plastic boot off your shattered leg. Can't imagine what it would be like trying to do same with the Dodgy boot. Axlegrinder?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, Carbon fibre can be cut off it will just take a little longer, on the other hand if your leg has shattered there's a good chance the boot may have done so as well, carbon fibre tends to be stiffer and stronger than a similar thickness of GRP or Injection moulded plastic, but it will also be a little more brittle, probably not enough to worry about though, in general what this means is that you can use thinner wall thicknesses for the same stifness giving a lighter structure, what I would be more worried about is how it will cope with typical damage that most boots suffer on the slopes, minor cuts and abrasions to the outside of a regular boot do very little damage to its structure but potentially such damage to a carbon fibre boot, especially if it allows water penetration to the fibres could result in some serious damage.

A lot of things will depend not on the Carbon Fibres but on the type of resins used to bond them, different resins will impart different performance characteristics, so long as the manufacturers have done their job well and chosen the right combination of resin and carbon fibre they should be very good boots, weather they are good enough to justify the price tag is another matter wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

what I would be more worried about is how it will cope with typical damage that most boots suffer on the slopes, minor cuts and abrasions to the outside of a regular boot do very little damage to its structure but potentially such damage to a carbon fibre boot, especially if it allows water penetration to the fibres could result in some serious damage.

My experience of using carbon fibre paddle blades for whitewater kayaking is that carbon can take minor scuffs, scratches, chips, etc very well (my carbon blades are holding up much better than mates' fibre glass blades, and much much better than the plastic blades that the club gives out to newbies). Where they aren't so strong is taking big impacts (I chose a fibre glass paddle shaft for that reason, adds a bit of flex to the system), although I guess that isn't likely to be such an issue skiing... maybe hitting rocks offpiste or if someone crashes into you... or racing gates?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, racing gates may be a concern, I know of at least one ski racer who had a carbon fibre pole explode/shatter when hit by a racing gate
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy