Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA: How rowdy do they get?

Poster: A snowHead
So, not quite the usual question about the UCPA! We're looking at the trips from action-outdoors, specifically to Flaine - we went there some years back and the trip was spoiled by adverse weather conditions, but we liked the place so have been looking to return. The package from AO looks like great value, but Mrs NBT is concerned about the accomodation, a concern I share to be truthful, and the clientele.

We've seen the UCPA in Tignes hosting a kicker jam in their back yard, which is laudable in terms of providing entertainment and camaraderie, but has Mrs NBT concerned that the people who stay there may be the younger end of the spectrum.

As I understand it, UCPA is somewhat like YHA. When we've stayed in a YHA, even in a private room, the walls have been quite thin, to the point where we you can hear people wandering up and down the corridor, using the lavatory and even snoring in neighbouring rooms. Moreover, the clientele tends to be younger, and therefore more likely to be returning late at night (or even in the early hours of the morning) from a "soirée" . We on the other hand need a good night's kip to be ready for the next day - ask my housemates at the EOSB, I don't recall that I ever stayed up as late as midnight, I certainly never made it to the nightclub!

Ok, so hotels aren't always perfect - when we stayed at the Curling in Tignes, we never got a good night's kip, as we were kept awake by the people smoking outside the nightclub opposite. The thought that the people smoking may have subsequently returned to the nearby UCPA has crossed out minds, I must admit.

So, has anyone who's stayed in a UCPA experienced problems with noise and rowdiness? Are they well built? Are the clientele young, old, rowdy, staid? Would the trip provide the value we're hoping for? Any specific comments about the UCPA in FLaine would be appreciated too

Cheers all
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi nbt, , we haev booked to go to Flaine UCPA on 2nd January. I have not been to Flaine before, but we did do UCPA in La Plagne Centre. The rooms were 'ok' tbh and the clientele were absolutely fine, in fact they were not wild party animals at all. Most were around 30yoa and sat around playing cards and haveing a few pints in the evening. The hard core may go clubbing but I generally get to bed by 11pm (apart form one big night out) and there were no problems.

Most weer there for a cheap all in deal and to meet new people to ski with. The people i skiied and boarded with were all nice people.

We are hoping for the same in Jan.

Remember to pay for your own double room as i'm sure that you do not want to share !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nbt, can't comment on the one in Flaine but the Argentiere UCPA was relatively noisy in the bar until about 12pm but pretty much silent on the dorm floors after 11pm. Didn't hear a thing even when the Swedish contingent came back rather the worse for wear from clubbing in Cham (some green-looking people the next morning!). I'd certainly consider UCPA with my fiancee but only if we could get a private room for two.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
my daughter said there were some noisy Brit youngsters when they stayed in Flaine - same contingent had been rather a pain on the bus going down. If you want to be sure of quiet (which I prefer too) I'd stay in an apartment.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Ahhh there were no Brits AT ALL in our UCPA in La Plagne, most were europeans and eastern europeans. Was chilled out, some good company - even the germans wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Libertine, my daughter and SiL said all the other guests were good company. I think they were a bit unlucky that time. The SiL had been to UCPAs twice before, and thoroughly enjoyed all the company. Always a few people around to have a beer with, and no rowdies.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone know whether UCPA's generally have private rooms or is it all dorms ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, From what i gather (I've been researching as we'd want a private room) it depends on the UCPA you go to - some have more than others. I've read elsewhere on snowheads that the UCPA in Flaine was formerly the CLub Med and as such has the highest number of twin / double rooms of all UCPA buildings, hence my interest
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt is right, it depends on the UCPA you visit. The older ones tend to be dorm-only. Action Outdoors should be able to advise.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sideshow_Bob, nbt, sounds like a good inexpensive way to get a holiday in the Alps; i am not too bothered about luxury hotels, all I want is something near the slopes and clean and a room to myself !!

nbt, let us know how you get on please, should be interesting
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt, we stayed in the Club Med (or was it Club Aquarius) in Flaine with our kids many years ago, booked it as a normal hotel, Rooms were twin/doubles, and there were family rooms with bunks in the lobby next to the bathroom.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
my daughter went through Action Outdoors but the coach travel in each direction was a nightmare. Not because it was a coach (she's done buses through south east Asia) but because they had a runaway driver on the outward journey, followed by TWO long stops for breakdowns in French motorway aires in the middle of the night, and another breakdown on the way back. They said next time they'd book direct with UCPA and do the travel independently.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we'd be flying to geneva and getting a transfer, no way I'm doing the bus from manchester!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
not sure if it's been mentioned but there are 2 UCPA's in flaine, the alter and les lindes (i think). I did a similar all-in trip over NY last year with my GF and a few friends, about 10 in total. all 25-30yo. We stayed in the lesser one and although it was ok, it felt quite studenty, not particularly clean, with shared bathrooms and desperate need of a make over so i wouldn't really reomment it. However the les linders (the one up in the main village) had beed recently had a total refurb with private en suite and from what we saw looked ALOT better, and probably worth an extra 50euros, or whatever it was. The food was on the whole ok.

As long as you accept its basically a youth hostel then go for it (as long as you choose the right one! Hope that helps
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jimmykingy, les lindars was the one we stayed in whewn it was both Hotel les Lindars, and later as a Club Med/Aquarius
snow conditions
Just checked our booking, we are in Les Linders, double room and own bathroom. Booked through Action outdoors.
latest report
I read about people being worried about age difference: just to remind those interested that UCPA has a 40 year old age limit (IIRC).
That's because UCPA was set-up to promote sport to French youth. That said the rule has been known to be "ignored" on occasions...
snow report
Kruisler, that counts me out then, does a cheeky boyish grin help for the over 40s ?
ski holidays
rayscoops,
Don't necessarily give up. Some guy here last year was over 40 and still got in (end of season, quiet time so they are not as fussed about age then...)
I would still call them if you're really interested...
snow conditions
Quote:

end of season, quiet time so they are not as fussed about age then...

they're all too tired to party by that stage.
snow report
What's a UCPA?
ski holidays
xyzpaul, look at UCPA.COM - click on the Union Jack if you want it in English. French organisation of sports centres, specifically to encourage Yoof to get off their backsides. wink
snow report
There's a report and video on the PlanetSKI web site about UCPA in Flaine. i have only vaguely heard of UCPA but it seems pretty good.

http://www.planetski.eu/news/172
ski holidays
I've booked to go to UCPA Flaine on the 2nd Jan also (still looking for an buddy if anyone wants to share a room)

I've been to the one in Chamonix and Serre Chevalier. Lots of Scandies in Chamonix and mainly French in Serre Chevalier but in both cases there were no problems with noise. People mosty mid 30's at serre che last year, excellent food, good atmosphere, good tuition and extremely good value: lift pass, full board, very good equipment - they are partnered by Rossignol - and 5 days tuition.

Also they all have subsidised bars which sell beer and wine (but no spirits as it's considered a sports club) so no having to pay £5 for a beer.
snow conditions
jzBun, I'm off to the Serre Chevalier UCPA. Rather looking forward to it, your description actually sounds fantastic. I was worried about the standard of equipment, but thats evidently not a problem.

I'm wondering whether to pay the extra for tuition or not. It will be my 3rd straight week skiing and I'm having lessons for my first week in Les Arcs to get my ski legs back. Do you know what is the tuition like for adventorous intermediates?

Can you elaborate on the food aswell?

Thank you.
snow conditions
Christopher, I did a training course in the UCPA in Chamonix once. Main courses were OK tending towards school dinners, but there were always loads of salads, fruit and cheese, so if you didn't fancy the main there was still plenty of good stuff to eat.
ski holidays
Christopher. Can't comment on the tuition as I did the off-piste course at both centres which is mainly guided rather than taught. But you choose which group to go with when you arrive by filling in a skills questionaire so you can be as adventurous as you like.

I agree with Lizzard, the food is self service so feels a bit like school dinners and you have to clear your plates and cuttlery away (but you don't have to wash up). But I found the quality excellent at serre che. Very good choice at breakfast - cereals, porridge, fruit, ham, cheese, yogurt, etc. Lunch - pasta, grilled meat/fish chips, salad, veg etc. You either ski back to the centre for lunch (it's ski ski out) or take a packed lunch which you prepare for yourself at breakfast - a section set aside for you to make sandwhiches or prepare salads.

Equipment is top notch. I had brand new Bandits last year.

As a very cheap skiing holiday I don't think you can beat it.

Joss
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Christopher, I did a training course in the UCPA in Chamonix once. Main courses were OK tending towards school dinners

That sounds rather odd. Going in successive sentences from talking about training "courses" to food "courses". NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The food is very far from being school dinners. It's one of the highlights of staying at UCPA. The food is way better than majority of hotels and resturants - and it's self service! You can go back for 2nds, 3rds, 4ths.... Having to clear the table and take back plates and cuttlery is a very small price to pay.
snow report
Inverted8, agreed, I enjoyed the food in Argentiere. The feel of the canteen is 'school dinner' but the actual food quality was great.

Anyone fancy doing one of the UCPA freeride courses this coming season? I may go to Argentiere again or could try the Steep course run out of the Chamonix centre.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy