Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Holiday Autos - 48 hour sale - 20% off

Poster: A snowHead
Via this link only.

Our usual discount is 15% - so this should be better (in theory). Every little helps etc.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FlyingStantoni, cheers. Have just booked 3 cars. An Astra estate for £193 for the week, excluding and insurance or winter kit. HAve taken the insurance excess waiver but not the winter kit. Will see what happens!

The link has saved us quite a bit of dosh snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FlyingStantoni, excellent tip off, nice one.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FlyingStantoni, Ta very much - just got an Astra estate for 9 days excluding winter kit for £250. Like Frosty, I'm going to see what happens re the tyres.

Frosty the Snowman, I got Alamo, who'd you get?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got Alamo also Very Happy 15-20 March for a wee 3v jaunt with some chums Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers, just got a Corsa for the 27th Nov weekend.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
so when it says, winter pack at the end of the options, (which include tyres, chains and ice scraper) if its compulsary to have them why does it give the option? surely it is either, not compulsary to have winter tyres OR it should be included in the price??? dont know what to do because im sure its already included within the price
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder, an old question, to which there's no easy answer because, it appears, no consistent policy amongst the various companies which HA uses. Some people have to pay, like it or not, some don't. It's not worth spending weeks agonising about it, and this is a good discount.
FlyingStantoni, thanks - will pass that on to the family borrowing our place at half term. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FlyingStantoni, you are the King of HA Discounts!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
FlyingStantoni, nice find!

I wonder if it'll work with the Quidco cashback too, I haven't tried that recently:

http://www2.quidco.com/holiday-autos/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks FlyingStantoni, just booked 3 cars! Saved ourselves a good wad.

D
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You are all most very welcome.

All part of repaying karma - someone on here found a very nice Avis discount a few months ago, which allowed me to book all my cars at a very good price.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
it is good price, but £80 for tyres which are a legal requirment isnt really it is!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, book on the French side, then you won't get snow tyres and won't have to pay for them. Simple.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BUT YOU HAVE SAID IN EARLIER POSTS THAT IT IS A LEGAL REQIREMENT IN CERTAIN PARTS OF FRANCE!!! I THINK YOU DONT HAVE A CLUE AND ARE JUST GUESSING. SO MY POINT, IF ITS LEGAL, THEN WHY THE OPTION TO HAVE THEM OR NOT!!! THATS LIKE GOING TO BUY A NEW CAR HERE FROM A SHOWROOM, THEN THE CAR DEALER SAYS, OH YOU NEED TO OUT SOME NEW TRYES ON IT BECAUSE THE MINIMUM TREAD DEPTH IN UK IS 1.6mm AND WE HAVE PUT SOME ILLEGAL ONES ON IT SO YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE!!! Its a gimic and i dont think you understand my point at all. like i have been going on about it now for 2 WEEKS and yet to have an answer from you. Is it a LEGAL REQUIREMENT to have snow tyres and chains in france AND switzerland during winter months??? the answer is either, Yes its a legal requirement, or no its not. simple, so whats the answer pam??? (shakes head in disbelief)
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, If it's that important to you why don't you pay for some advice rather than ranting at someone who has tried to help you. Learn some manners.
ski holidays
It is not a legal requirement in France as far as I am aware (shouting with CAPITALS aint nice though!). I always book Swiss side for Geneva as snowtyres are added as standard and you wont get charged extra for them (this has always been the case in the past - can't guarantee it) becuase I believe they are a legal requirement in Switzerland.

Thanks for bringing the sale to my attention.... way cheaper than anyone else.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, get back in your box and check out this recent blog:

http://auto.blogactiv.eu/2009/06/20/pneus/

It indicates that there is no overall requirement for winter equipment in France (hence the reason why they offer cars with standard summer spec), but there are local regulations on certain mountain routes that might demand chains be fitted in wintry conditions, sensible really as most of France including valley routes in the Alps don't get a lot of snow and ice. If you are heading to a high resort in bad weather, you need to make some provision, the route is your choice, so the hire co leaves it to you.

I've had french hire cars on standard tyres and driven to some of the lower resorts with no problems.

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
thanks stevo and luigi. i will book it through the swiss side as then it will hopefully come with the snow tyres. i will take chains in the suitcase and then fit them when we get to a bad bit if there is any. and steve, ive been trying to book a car for 2 weeks now and have had nothing but confusion, mainly from pam, saying it is legal, then its not, so i just needed to know because im missing out on some good hire car offers. didnt mean to be rude but i had to, as now i have been given the info that i needed. thanks for your help guys clearing this one up.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, the "answer you need" is something dead simple and straightforward. There's no such answer. Nobody has told you that snow tyres are a legal requirement in France - because it isn't. I have told you that you will sometimes need chains to be allowed to proceed on a mountain road. But it is entirely your prerogative to just turn back and wait till the weather improves. Marcellus pointed out that once you're on a road with a blue tyre/chain picture on, you are "legally required" to carry "special equipment" which might be tyres or chains, but many of those signs are up all year, so in practice it isn't enforced as a legal requirement at all. It is sometimes the case that cars fitted with snow tyres are nonetheless required by the police to fit chains too, or turn back. Whether it's a legal requirement or not is really irrelevant, it's a practical requirement if you want to get up there, on days like that, you fit chains. In the middle of August, or in February when the roads are clear nobody, to use Lizzard's expression, will give a rat's ass whether you have chains or not.

Switzerland is entirely different. Snow tyres WILL be fitted on cars hired in Switzerland but recently some people have indeed reported being forced to pay extra for them, before driving away from the airport, despite the fact that it seems to be compulsory to have them fitted. You might not like it, but that's just tough. You might get away with it - people's experience varies. If you want to be sure of not having to pay that extra, which is significant, hire on the French side. And then read the threads on how to get in and out of the French sector more carefully than you've read the threads on snow tyres and chains.

These are not simple questions -many people, who either live in France or routinely spend the entire winter there, have all tried to help but you have apparently not had the courtesy to read through the answers carefully.

And don't forget that some other person trying to help you pointed out that chains come in many different sizes and the ones in your suitcase might, or might not, fit the car you are given. Which might, or might not, be the actual model you reserved.
snow conditions
pam w, pearls before swine. wink
ski holidays
whatever,it is poor practice by HA
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, thanks for the link Very Happy

Just booked January hire in Munich to go to Saalbach and February hire in Grenoble to go to Serre Chevalier.

Only small issue was after I had pressed Submit after putting in all my details, including my credit card, was that a much higher price was confirmed as being the rental.

I contacted Holiday Autos and a very nice and helpfull chap Kuldeep apologised and said that it was a system problem and sorted it all out in a couple of minutes at the quoted rates. Excellent and in the case of the Grenoble pick up, almost EUR 100 cheaper than my other cheapest quote for the exact same option.
Smile Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy