Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corvara from Innsbruck ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hoping to go to corvara in January. The closest we can get flying out of bristol is Innsbruck, but there does not appear to be any direct transfer. The options seem to be either a rather expensive coach transfer to selva followed by a taxi ride or train to brunico then public bus to corvara.
Has anyone travelled by either of these routes or used a good alternative?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nickH, very easy by car - rent one?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One option is to get the train.
I think it may invlolve one change and you can get to Weidbruck / Ponte Gardena. From there there's a local bus, costs about 3€, to get you up to Selva.
Now, at that point, the best way forward is to Ski to Corvara but that plan depends upon your having forwarded your luggage or perhaps having a taxi on hand to take it over for you.
I'm sure a taxi from Selva to Corvara wouldn't be too expensive.

Train from Innsbruck to Brunico is also a possibility.
If you were to get a Taxi from there, I'd get off at San Lorenzo is it's a wee bit nearer to the Corvara road than Brunico itself.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nickH, By the "rather expensive coach transfer to Selva" are you referring to the Terravision transfer which costs 39 Euros return?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

39 Euros return

a bargain!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi pam w, will look into it as there'll be 3 of us , but preference is to let others do the work if possible.
Likewise thanks admin, I'm trying to find which of the options is the easiest and most straight forward. One of the party is fairly 'senior' in years so the simpler the better.
Alastair Pink, I'm afraid your link doesn't seem to open, but I'll definitely look into it. The transfer I'd found was sudtirol alter adige bus,though I must admit to struggling a bit with their website. They seem to do a transfer from the airport to selva from where the tourist office recommend a pre-booked taxi.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nickH wrote:

Alastair Pink, I'm afraid your link doesn't seem to open, but I'll definitely look into it.

The link opens OK for me, anyone else having problems opening it? Puzzled

Try googling terravision and you should find the relevant webpage.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nickH, some of the tourist info and arrangements for next year might not be in place yet. Maybe leave a decision till a bit nearer the time?

Alastair's link opens for me, and that does look like a bargain. Though at the time of the Birthday Bash last year there would have been no chance of any kind of transfer from Selva to Gardena, except possibly a helicopter. The direct route to Corvara from Innsbruck doesn't have any mountain passes on it (well, there's the Brenner....... but if that's impassable nobody's going anywhere).

Especially with an elderly companion I'd definitely rent a car, but it depends how you feel about driving, obviously.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink, interesting, the link works fine on the desktop ( window 8.1) but wouldn't open on the ipad either through your link or by clicking on various results from google. And thank you, it is very interesting

pam w, funnily enough last year was the first time in some years that I'd not been in that area at the time of the bash, quite luckily I think. Car is a good idea and I shall be looking into it. Have you hired from Innsbruck ? any problems taking a hire car out of the country ( ie Austria to Italy? )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink, just noticed the timetable is for last year. As you saypam w, perhaps the new ones aren't in place yet.

I'm looking into it early so that I can book flights. Whereas flying out of Bristol is by far the most convenient, if the transfer at the other end is a pain we could always fly from Gatwick to Venice, but then that entails a drive, car parking ( & of course the horrors of Gatwick) etc etc at this end. I'm trying to find the best balance & book the flights whilst prices are still reasonable
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just booked Canazei in January - Bristol > LHR (Lufthansa) > Munich > car hire staying at Brenner Pass Motorway Hotel Fri night > ski Selva etc Saturday then on to Hotel in Canazei for rest of the week.

Innsbruck can suffer from weather problems, so you often get diverted to Munich when it's clagged in so we prefer to fly to MUC. Drive to Brenner is ~3 1/2 hrs, then another ~ 1 1/2 hrs to Selva: you'd then have to go over the Passo Gardena and on down to Corvara
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi geoffers, Munich via LHR not Amsterdam? what sort of price is a car ? Do you have to spec winter tyres etc or is that standard ? Any problems taking the car into Italy?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 3-10-14 22:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wouldn't you go to Brunico then straight south down the valley? According to Google maps that's shorter and quicker and there are no passi involved. That was the way I drove to Arabba last year - not the sensible way from the Frejus Tunnel, normally, but it was the only route into Arabba without completely closed passes (the Campolongo pass south of Corvara was officially closed but occasionally passable, if a little intimidating).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nickH, you definitely need winter tyres if possible, but all Austrian cars would have them, presumably? It's only 2 hours from Innsbruck - I think I'd take my chance, personally. If the plane were diverted to Munich, wouldn't the airline have to get you to Innsbruck?

I drove my own car to Arabba - no experience of hiring from Innsbruck, but I imagine there's no more trouble taking an Austrian hired car to Italy than taking one hired in Geneva into France.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A lot of car hire companies don't allow cross border travel. Is it possible for you to fly to Turin? That is where the TO is flying us into for the Dolomites.
ski holidays
All the major rental companies allow cross border within EU, but do have some limitations on flashy models. Green card is automatic too since that's EU law.
Edit: also Switzerland and iirc Norway too
snow report
nickH,
Quote:
what sort of price is a car ? Do you have to spec winter tyres etc or is that standard ? Any problems taking the car into
Not sure of the price yet, car hire from MUC all should come with winter tyres, you pay a supplement for cross border hire.
snow report
geoffers, thanks for that will look into it some more
ski holidays
Terravision wasn't running from Innsbruck to Val Gardena side of Dolomites last year. Although it showed the route on its site, phone calls and emails to them confirmed they had ceased that particular route.
We ended up having to get an expensive private taxi. The train times didn't fit in with our schedule.
Hopefully they will run this winter.
snow report
nickH, check for cross border fees I got stung €25 by not reading the small print
snow conditions
Thanks holidayloverxx, that's one to look out for, particularly with my allergy to small print!!

Hi susieski, that might explain why the tourist office gave a link to some bus company called 'sudtirol alte adige ' instead, though I've not had much success with their website yet
snow conditions
There was an airport bus from Innsbruck airport to the region priced very reasonably. When you add the charges for ski bags though it worked out not much cheaper than a comfortable private taxi.
Although we bulked at the taxi price it was an excellent way to start and finish the holiday.
ski holidays
susieski, love the idea of a taxi, sadly the budget doesn't !
snow conditions
Using the coach transfer to selva from Innsbruck recommended by the corvara tourist office it's €170 return for one person with case and ski bag-seems pretty expensive for a trip of not much more than 100km each way. There is then also the cost of the taxi transfer, again as recommended by the tourist office, from selva to corvara.
susieski, can you remember what sort of money the taxi did cost you?
snow report
We were staying in Ortisei and used Taxi Leo found in Val Gardena web site. All of them quoted much the same price
I think we paid 378euro return, had mini bus to ourselves.
Believe me our budget didn't stretch to this either but in the end we didn't have much choice.
We looked at the train , but again when factoring in the taxi needed at the end of journey it wasn't worth the the megre saving and hassle factor.
We flew to Innsbruck from Bristol as we live in Cornwall, but could you fly to maybe Treviso as I think Terravision have a route from there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy