Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription sunglasses

Poster: A snowHead
I wear OTG goggles with my glasses, and am thinking of getting a pair of prescription sunglasses for the odd occasion that the sun really does shine. Looking at Bolle Anconda or some Rx sunglasses. Anyone with any experience of the Rx - what are they like to wear? Certainly seem to be a lot cheaper than direct glazed like the Anacondas.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got perscription Oakleys for sunny days and they're great, use them for driving or general mooching about.
Check that your perscription is inside whichever manufacturers range which they can make though.

Personal preference means i always wear goggles with regular glasses though - my eyes stream when trying to board without goggs. Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
deerman, Why not just get your specs from a 2 for one place and get the second pair as darkly tinted as they do - that's what I ski in anyway.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a pair of Oakley Prescription Sunglasses , fantastic but expensive. Add about £100+ to a normal pair of Oakleys if I remember correctly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got some Addidas Elevation with a prescription insert about a year ago. I wore them for most of my skiing last winter, all except for a couple of occasions when I used goggles without any prescription lens. They were as good as any other glasses I have used in fine weather, when it snowed they tended to fog up a little between the prescription lens and the main lens. In heavy snow or strong winds they did not seal sufficiently hence I used goggles.

The same Addidas glasses are great for use when cycling.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
deerman, a big vote for Oakley prescription from me. Got 3 pairs now... black iridium, fire iridium and bronze polarised. The more wrapped-around the frame is the longer it takes to get used to them. At first it can feel like they've got it wrong but once your eyes get used to it, hard to beat. I use www.isyte.com - the lady there knows her stuff and does addidas too if you want.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
deerman, have you ever tried contact lenses? I use daily disposables when skiing, and forget they're in most of the time! That also means I can wear whatever sunglasses I like and needn't break the bank. I'm on my second pair of Bloc Stoats after I managed to lose the first pair - having lasted many years. Means I can easily swap to goggles too should the sunlight go, and should the worst occur and I break them (not managed to do that with the Blocs) then I haven't lost a fortune.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
deerman, My 10 year old son wears glasses with a pretty strong prescription (he really can't do without them) and we got him prescription sunglasses, purely for skiing. He loves them! As Megamum, suggests, try somewhere like Specsavers, but the Reactions lenses that their 2 for 1 thing covers, may not be quite what you need. We paid around £40 for the prescription sunnies IIRC
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've managed to get a couple of pairs of Bolle prescription sunglasses over the last couple of years. I've done this by sourcing the glasses through eBay (new) and getting an online optician to glaze them. Worked out about £75 each time and although not original Bolle lenses they are OK.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I got some Oakley prescription sunglasses a couple of years ago from Vision Express, mainly for driving and general use, but they are very confidence-inspiring when skiing as well. I went for the gold iridium polarised lenses and they are fantastic in glare-y conditions. Can't compare with OTG goggles though as my eyes aren't quite bad enough to need glasses the whole time (mainly for driving and anything involving blackboards/OHPs) so if wearing goggles I do without the prescription. Prob why the sunglasses make such a difference!

Vision Express is prob not the cheapest place to get them - although I did get a new pair of 'normal' glasses there recently and obtained an un-advertised 30% student discount by threatening to take my business to Boots!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I get my prescription sunnies on Boots 2 for 1 offer. They offer a plain single coloured all over tint in with the free pair and if you pick the darkest (I pick the dark brown ones) they are easily OK for use in the sunshine on a snow covered mountain.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have tried everything from contacts, normal perscription sunnies, Bolle with an insert (ok but too heavy) and to be honest I was giving up so decided to take the plunge and get some Oakley perscription sunglases. They are briliant and I would save your money and just go straight for the Oakleys.

I am on the look out for some perscription goggles now, I got some a few years ago from tesco of all places, they are ok but think I might go for some Adidas or Bolle inserts this year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A lot depends on your prescription.

I'm really short sighted so can't get decent lenses directly in sunglasses as they get too thick at the edges - there are two ways to get round this other than getting contacts:

(1) get a pair which allow a prescription insert to be clipped in behind the tinted lens - problem is that they can fog up in between the two lens which is a bug

(2) get dark tinted "normal" glasses - but these tend not to wraparound so don't give the protection you really need (plus don't look as cool...)

I've found neither of these to be acceptable compromises (also because if I lost or damaged them I'd be screwed) so go lenses instead.

If you're less blind than me you may be able to find a decent pair of directly glazed sunnies though
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

have a pair of Oakley Prescription Sunglasses , fantastic but expensive. Add about £100+ to a normal pair of Oakleys if I remember correctly.

Oh, here is another Vote for the Oakleys - they are the BEST purchase I have ever made - they really really keep out the wind and protect my eyes from glare. I use mine for cycling as well as driving and skiing. Oakley also have good repair service if you mash them [there are a couple of threads on this elsewhere].

Mine were nearly £300, and luckily my prescription has not changed too much, and I reckon I've had them 6 or 7 years, so not a bad buy really.

Would wear goggles in whiteout though [haven't solved that one yet Evil or Very Mad ]
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the advice guys. As my prescription seems to change a bit every year (the ageing process I'm told !), I've decided to go for sunglasses with prescription inserts - that way I only have to pay for a new set of inserts next year, not new sunglasses.
snow conditions
deerman, and others, the other thing I have seen are 'standard' spectacle frames which have tiny inbuilt magnets that enable a thin darkly coloured lens to be, surprisingly firmly attached, by just offering them up to the in built magnets. Boots again do these.
snow conditions
deerman, seriously, have you tried contacts? Daily disposables are comfortable, cheap, and these days can correct all sorts of prescriptions.
latest report
mfj197, that's what I do for skiing/biking/swimming. Even with toric lenses for astigmatism it is cheap and easy.
snow conditions
I asked my optician about contacts a couple of years ago, but as I need varifocals he did not recommend them. He reckoned the technology for varifocal contacts was still a biy iffy.
snow report
deerman wrote:
I wear OTG goggles with my glasses, and am thinking of getting a pair of prescription sunglasses for the odd occasion that the sun really does shine. Looking at Bolle Anconda or some Rx sunglasses. Anyone with any experience of the Rx - what are they like to wear? Certainly seem to be a lot cheaper than direct glazed like the Anacondas.

Hi I just go some Rudy Projexts from Go sport spex - they were very helpful and the rx fits very close to the lens - with the mirrored lenses you can't see the specs on the inside - if that bothers you of course.

I have not had a chance to try them out skiing or cycling yet but overall I am quite happy with them.

There is also an adapter - like glasses with no arms to go in goggles as well - that also is good and beats having to get a separate prescription lens for the goggles - seems a bit odd as the lens sits further from your eyes than with specs and you can sort of see round it - I suppose you get used to it
ski holidays
I have used Optilabs canyon glasses. http://www.optilabs.com/
Excellent service and quality.
Maybe not as cheap as some other posts
ski holidays
deerman, As an ex regular contact lens wearer, I was told that contact lenses were good for people that would need varifocals. Something to do with fitting a 'distance' lens in the weaker eye, and a close up lens in the other, or vice versa (the explanation was a long time ago), but in any event I was under the impression that contacts and 'varifocal vision' was a 'done deal' rather than still being a 'bit iffy'. Mind you I think I've also read here that contacts for skiing don't necessarily need to include a prescription that can deal with close up vision since most skiing is done using distance vision. Someone with probably correct me if that's wrong, but it sounds like it should make sense.
snow report
Quote:

Mind you I think I've also read here that contacts for skiing don't necessarily need to include a prescription that can deal with close up vision since most skiing is done using distance vision. Someone with probably correct me if that's wrong, but it sounds like it should make sense.

That's the situation I'm in. I wear varifocals normally but have prescription inserts for goggles with just my distance correction. They are brilliant. If I'm going to be needing them (e.g. to read menus or piste maps) I put specs in my jacket or backpack. I'd like to be able to wear contacts, and have tried, but I'm hopeless - the girl in Specsavers gave me up as a bad job. And you'd still need sunglasses or goggles.

My prescription inserts were made in Albertville for about 30 euros IIRC - absolutely no problem with fogging and they fit in any goggles.
ski holidays
deerman, Agree with Megamum wholeheartedly. I have varifocals (+5.25 -1.5 L&R) so pretty strong, also a slight astigmatism. Contacts are +5 in left eye and +4 in right - daily disposables, it's amazing how the brain adjusts to use the correct eye. My sight with contacts is nearly as good as £300 specs. Contact fitting is not an exact science (like spectacle fitting 'is') , you need a good fitter to get the prescription for you. Also you can vary the lens, as Megamum says, you can get them just to correct distance (fine for skiing) and perhaps use a pair of cheap reading for close up.
These are a life changer for sport, although I got them originally for water-skiing, I've had no problems at all snow-skiing, and they don't steam up when you go in the bar! Seriously suggest you try some.
snow report
Megamum, pam w, I tried out the varifocal contacts idea - you get your short sighted lens in one eye and a long in the other like allanm, says. Unfortunately when we tried out the long sighted lens it was just all wrong and my world of being a speccy 4 eyes has to continue Crying or Very sad I am gutted. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I might wait until the technology moves on, but I hate all the steaming up nonsense when you have to goggle up.
latest report
I had bought Oakley Rx Sunglasses at 350 pounds from the Oakley website. Rx Sunglasses are really attractive and stylish. I wore these Sunglasses while Cycling in the morning.
latest report
MarjMJ wrote:
Megamum, pam w, I tried out the varifocal contacts idea - you get your short sighted lens in one eye and a long in the other

Not sure I'd want a short sighted lens in one eye and a long in the other - I think both lenses should be to correct your distance vision (whether +ve or -ve diopters is required for this), and then use cheap reading glasses as allanm says for close up work (piste map?). If you had one eye optimised for short sight and one for long then it would cause a few headaches! But then I'm not an optician - just a keen photographer ...
latest report
mfj197 wrote:
MarjMJ wrote:
Megamum, pam w, I tried out the varifocal contacts idea - you get your short sighted lens in one eye and a long in the other

Not sure I'd want a short sighted lens in one eye and a long in the other - I think both lenses should be to correct your distance vision (whether +ve or -ve diopters is required for this), and then use cheap reading glasses as allanm says for close up work (piste map?). If you had one eye optimised for short sight and one for long then it would cause a few headaches! But then I'm not an optician - just a keen photographer ...

No headaches, just 2020 vision - if you're suited to them.

Contacts enabled me to restart photography, glasses were such a pain - especially varifocals, quick manual focus was a nigh impossible.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mfj197, It was sooo cool though - I managed to adapt to the short one really quickly - but the longsighted lens was impossible to set properly.
snow report
allanm wrote:
Contacts enabled me to restart photography, glasses were such a pain - especially varifocals, quick manual focus was a nigh impossible.

Contacts also help me ski, and play tennis, and cycle (although I do have prescription sunnies which I can use for the latter). I just use the daily disposables as I wear glasses the rest of the year. I tried monthly contacts for permanent use a while ago and didn't get on with them, but dailies for occasional use suit me down to the ground.
MarjMJ, you could ski and read the piste map at the same time! snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy