Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Now... Euro$tar baggage requirements

Poster: A snowHead
This may only be an issue for a small minority but here is something pretty frikken lame IMV.

Mountaineers, ski mountaineers and ski tourers and, indeed, anyone heading onto a glacier will typically want to carry an ice axe in addition to all sorts of other junk. Some of us like to think we are "at one" with the mountains so see the train as an environmentally friendly way to get to the mountains; others just find the train to be more convenient or a nicer way to travel. Some of us choose the train because we believe that if you can carry it, you can take it so no weighing luggage, extra charges etc

OR SO WE THOUGHT

Seems that if you want to take an ice axe with you on Euro$tar life gets pretty complicated. If you want to take one on the Euro$tar direct to Bourg St Maurice (an obvious desitnation for a ski tourer one might have thought) you can't do it . At all. If you want to go via Paris, you have to put it through "registered baggage" where they don't guarantee that it will be on the same train as you - just that it will turn up within 24 hours of registration (and you pay a fee for registered baggage rolling eyes .)

See 3rd para on here

and this page for details of registered baggage

This actually applies to a broader range of things than ice axes (like toy guns, household cutlery and camping equipment).

I'm sorry but I don't buy the safety argument. There are hundreds of people walking around in Chamonix carrying ice axes and how often does anyone use one maliciously. A train is different from a plane - if I threatened the driver of the Euro$tar with an ice axe, he wouldn't be able to crash it into something. And you can get on any domestic train with an ice axe (or camping equipment or a toy gun) so why is Euro$tar different?

I feel a letter to the chief exec coming on Confused

[/rant]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The length restriction makes it look a bit unworkable too.

'Anything larger than 85cm at its maximum length will need to be transported by our registered baggage service (see below). You should also take a moment to look at our full list of prohibited items.'
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno wrote:
There are hundreds of people walking around in Chamonix carrying ice axes and how often does anyone use one maliciously.

Wasn't there a movie somewhere where some blonde was knocking off her lovers with an ice axe..

No wait that was an ice pick..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett, admit it, you only watch that movie for one particular scene wink Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Eurostar prohibited items won't load for me. Are skis and ski poles affected?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, "Any article which is inherently dangerous or which could be used to commit an act of violence or threat will also not be allowed. " So maybe you have to rely on the goodwill of the people checking this not to conclude that you might go ape$hit with your skis and threaten someone :/

there is the limit of 85cm mentioned by cad99uk but don't know whether that gets applied to skis. they actually have special space in the carriages for skis on the BSM service so that would be odd...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Took the kids to Euro Disney on the Eurostar last year and got stopped because I had a folding butterknife rolling eyes . The gorilla doing the checks wanted to confiscate it, luckily when I complained to the copper on duty he said "Oh, that's just a butter knife", taped it up and stuck it back in my bag. Don't imagine he'd have been so obliging with an ice axe though....

Unfortunately when it comes to travel and "security" there is little room left for common sense any more - we are all potential terrorists in the eyes of the authorities now Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the ridiculous thing is that you could hop on the caledonian sleeper (or any other domestic train) weighed down with all sorts of evil looking climbing equipment and no-one would check

or just think about the number of ice axes (and penknives for that matter) there must be every time the Aig du Midi cable car departs. would have thought you could do a lot more damage in there than on a train

does anyone know whether any other train service anywhere has restrictions like this?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno wrote:
the ridiculous thing is that you could hop on the caledonian sleeper (or any other domestic train) weighed down with all sorts of evil looking climbing equipment and no-one would check

or just think about the number of ice axes (and penknives for that matter) there must be every time the Aig du Midi cable car departs. would have thought you could do a lot more damage in there than on a train

does anyone know whether any other train service anywhere has restrictions like this?

There are signs on the Caledonian Sleeper telling you not to store ice axes in the overhead storage Skullie
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
your average diabetic climber would be dead before his ice axe arrived in bourg in registered luggage as hypodermic syringes are not allowed either rolling eyes rolling eyes

where did the common sense go to in this world Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM, even domestic cutlery is disallowed, but no mention of corkscrews which could be just as dangerous . I'll stick to the car I think

rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
CEM, even domestic cutlery is disallowed, but no mention of corkscrews which could be just as dangerous . I'll stick to the car I think

rolling eyes

It isn't intended to be an exhaustive list, just some examples of things which would not be allowed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, the question is what do you do if you are diabetic and want to travel on eurostar...... are you allowed or do you have to travel in the hold with the dangerous stuff rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
achilles, "Any article which is inherently dangerous or which could be used to commit an act of violence or threat will also not be allowed. "

This brings to mind the Monty Python sketch: "Self defence against fresh fruit" where John Cleese teaches the class how to defend themselves against someone who attacks them with a banana and other items. So, better watch out what you pack for lunch on Eurostar...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DCG, as I remember, the defence is to shoot the assailant dead with a revolver.
snow conditions
II wrote:
There are signs on the Caledonian Sleeper telling you not to store ice axes in the overhead storage Skullie

LOL, Scottish health and safety Wink

Looks like everyone wanting to travel by rail who is diabetic and/or wanting to carry ice axes and crampons will have to head north instead of to the alps ... as long as they don't store their equipment overhead that is Toofy Grin
latest report
CEM wrote:
Helen Beaumont, the question is what do you do if you are diabetic and want to travel on Eurostar...... are you allowed or do you have to travel in the hold with the dangerous stuff rolling eyes

Airlines don't allow hypodermics either, but diabetics and others needing injections during flight are allowed to carry sufficient on their person for the journey. I think they need a supporting letter from their Gp too.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, it depends... Highly shortend version of a story: Having been refused boarding with a plastic disposal and insulin bottles at airport security in Paris for a BA trip to the UK , they finally relented to allowing the stewardess to carry my syringe for me. When I asked to use it during the flight, the pilot said "no".

I felt it was a severe infringments of my human rights ( along with having two armed gendarmes "guarding" me as all the other passengers passed in front of me, staring...) and wrote to BA to tell them so. Nothing happened. Perhaps I should have involved lawyers.

What made it all the more ridiculous was that I was carrying another syringe the security guards hadn't found in the 'extensive' body search of me, and so I wasn't too fussed about it. But it made a complete mockery of the whole 'security' thing.
snow conditions
I am finding this incredibly frustrating. I cannot open up the Eurostar page in IE, Firefox or Chrome. From what I can gather I wont be able to carry Leatherman and ski poles because they are lethal objects, or skis because they are too long. If so, this is all new since last season - and rules out Eurostar for me.
ski holidays
achilles,can't even paste a direct link in here beacuse of admin's eurostar thingy. Looks like folding knoves with blades of less then 3" are allowed which just makes the whole thing even more stupid

JimW, how awful for you.
snow conditions
What about knitting needles? On the train, I mean, not used by diabetics.
snow conditions
um, i think that if you take the euro$tar direct (ski) train to the 3 valleys, you're allowed more luggage as listed here, in the fourth bullet point. however, the restricted items list remains the same from what i understand.

also, i'm not sure what the "amount of luggage" restrictions are for people who go via paris.
latest report
I am beginning to wonder if Eurostar stuff is blocked by a firewall for me Sad From what I can gather googling around the regulations are the same as when I took sksi and poles wiht me on two return trips to Paris last season. So it looks like a little common sense is applied.
snow report
JimW, A lot easier these days with the pens but I took syringes all over the world and never had a problem anywhere. Sounds like a case of a couple of jobsworths. Should have just started wandering about the plane crashing into people slurring - I need my medication, my blood sugar is 28.2 Laughing
Then go for a full on panic attack due to fear of coma (ok.. it'd have to be a very long flight) Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Seriously, if someone was withholding my medication and there was a chance of me suffering irreversible medical damage as a result you would have seen an air rage incident of massive proportions and a lawsuit to counter the assault charges Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Scarpa, (and like you, now on pens) indeed it was tempting. I was seething. But decided I could wait until I got home to the UK before taking the jab and if a delay occurred, I did have spare syringe, insulin and glucose on me to defray any real emergency - at one stage I thought about getting them out, just out of spite!

But I figured getting banged up in a cell at Heathrow whilst they sorted it out probably wasn't worth it (must of been OK, I was thinking rationally Smile ).

But how ridiculous - deny me my drugs AND fail to spot the very thing you were trying to protect the other passengers (presumably...) from.

I always considered the so-called security arrangements a job creation scheme for people with nothing better to do, and that incident just proved it.
ski holidays
JimW, The swiss security at Geneva once went though my toiletry bag in hand luggage and found some used pen needles. They got pretty stern and asked me if I needed them. Considering that they are 12mm long and would snap if you knocked them on anything... coupled with the fact that my pen had a needle attached and was on my person... I was a a little nonplussed. I just told him that "No, I don't need them, you can have them." He declined and put them back into my bag before waving me though. Can't see any logic in it myself Laughing

Even less logic in your case though. Wonder what will happen if they swab my stuff sometime and come up with nitro traces from all the shooting I do rolling eyes
latest report
sherlock235 wrote:
um, i think that if you take the euro$tar direct (ski) train to the 3 valleys, you're allowed more luggage as listed here, in the fourth bullet point. however, the restricted items list remains the same from what i understand.

also, i'm not sure what the "amount of luggage" restrictions are for people who go via paris.

I have emailed them to ask - will post any reply I get. Although your link is posted on the Ski train page, the bullet point only says "for those travelling to the Alps" and in my book Grenoble is also an Alps destination.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimW, Shocked That's terrible. OH is a diabetic and we've not had trouble up to now - or needed a GPs letter - but things just get madder, as the nonsense about ice axes demonstrates. I've not travelled by air since the latest round of new rules - can you still take duty free bottles on board? A smashed wine bottle is a rather more potent weapon than an insulin syringe or an eyebrow tweezers.
snow report
It looks like the dimension restriction applies on routes leaving London. But OK if you can get to Paris another way Puzzled

'Registered baggage
If you’re travelling with any additional items, any bulky items such as trunks or bicycles, or any sporting and collectors’ weapons or knives, you’ll need to use our registered baggage service.

This service applies only between London – Paris, London – Brussels and London – Lille in both directions and applies to no other Eurostar destination or beyond those stations listed above.'
ski holidays
cad99uk, eh? Puzzled
ski holidays
Butterfly, yep emailed them too yesterday. wil post any response.

Scarpa, pam w, indeed: a rabid attack with a 10mm needle on a bendy plastic syringe is really going to have an effect on aircraft security...

The safety elves are turning madder by the day, yet still taking over the world: its making me a grumpy old man.
snow report
cad99uk, Only on routes leaving London for Paris, Brussels or Lille.

So does not apply to direct ski train services.

And if you want to go via Paris, it doesn't apply if you start from Ashford or Ebbsfleet.
ski holidays
alex_heney, Yes, I always forget about Ashford and Ebbsfleet. Good point.
snow report
Feedback from Eurostart 1/2 hour ago

-----------------

Dear Mr W

Thank you for your e mail,

You can take diabetic medication and syringes with you along with a letter from your GP. As for the Ski's you are taking there are 2 ways of travelling one is on the direct ski train which is the Eurostar all the way from the UK to Bourg St Maurice or the second is to do an indirect service using the Eurostar to Paris and changing on to a TGV in Paris on either an overnight Snow train or a day time TGV.

If you are going on the direct train we also allow an extra item of luggage per passenger, such as a pair of skis or a snowboard. That’s on top of the usual maximum of 2 medium-sized cases (85cm at their longest length), plus one item of hand luggage. Once on board, we’ve reserved an area in each carriage specifically for your large luggage, so you won’t have to struggle to make everything fit. We would recommend you arrive 1 hour before departure for check in.

If you are going on the indirect services then I would recommend you contact EuroDespatch Centre on 08705 850 850 who will be able to advise you on the procedure and cost for ski's on a normal Eurostar train linking with the TGV in Paris. Once you are in Paris it will be up to you to transport your luggage from one station to the next to board the TGV train.

Please be aware that our direct service is available to book now with direct services departing for the Alps on a Friday evening 2031 arriving 0627 the next morning or depart 1000 arriving 1820. On the return these will depart on Saturday morning at 1004 arriving 1611 or the night service departing at 2215 arriving at 0716 the next morning.

Travelling connecting with a TGV booked via our site or over the telephone has a 90 booking horizon which means we are booking up to and including the 3rd December 09.

I hope this all helps you but if you need any help please call our Sales Team on 08705 186 186 and they will be more than happy to help.

----------------

Hope this is of use...
Jim
ski holidays
Wow. Looks l and the EOSBers were lucky when we just wandered onto the Eurostar to and from Paris then - and when I travelled in January (mind you there was loads of space then, and no one was stressed). Wonder how much ski carriage would cost? And having to go to a specific coach to load skis would be quit a hassle, since the train is so long. If they start enforcing this, car is looking increasingly the est way to the Alps.
latest report
achilles, having struggled on and off Swiss trains with our baggage on the way to Wengen. I'm positive driving is easier.
latest report
Further to JimW's response from them, I got this. I must say I was quite surprised to get a quick reply from someone who had actually read my query - so often you seem to get general ones!
-----------------------------------------
Response on behalf of Eurostar from (Wayne, Eurostar.com support) 04/09/2009 10.29 AM
Dear ,

Thank you for your email,

When travelling with a pair of ski’s on any Eurostar service other than the direct service to the French Alps, your ski’s will be counted as one medium sized suitcase. The luggage allowance on board Eurostar is two medium sized suitcases and one piece of hand luggage per person. Therefore, you be able to travel with one pair of ski’s and one suitcase.

If you need to take more luggage, you would need to take it as excess luggage and register it via the Eurodespatch centre. You can contact them by telephone on 08705 850 850 and register your luggage to travel on a specific train so you would be able to collect it on arrival at your destination.

Kind regards
Wayne, Eurostar.com support
ski holidays
Butterfly, excellent news. Thank you.
ski holidays
I'd print that email out and take it with you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy