Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler or ?

Poster: A snowHead
My trip to Vancouver took a turn for the worse this week. We have air tickets to Vancouver for 11 days in the two weeks between the two Olympics. Plan was to stay with friends in Vancouver and pop up to Whistler or a local ski resort for a couple of days on my own. The problem is that our friends have now been forced to come home so no accomodation and the whole reason for going removed.

Now looking at booking an apartment for 6 days skiing somewhere and 5 days in Vancouver with a trip to Seattle. I'm thinking Whistler because my wife does not ski and will need something to do during the day. Anyone got any advice on apartments/hotels there? Not too expensive as the budget is already stretched as we had no previous accomodation costs. Not too remote for my wife, and preferred to have some facilities.

Not asking for much then.

The real bummer is that the additional costs means that my proper ski holiday later in March is now no more.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good luck finding anywhere reasonable in Whistler.

There are quite a few localish ski hills to Vancouver. You could consider doing (easy) day trips to these and stay based in Vancouver. To be honest I think you're a bit stuffed on cost whichever option you go with, unless you'd already factored in your own transport.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The cheapest condo you would get in Whistler at this time is around $200 a night so you would be looking at about $1000 for 5 nights. Lots to do in Whistler for non skiers so a good option for you both. Cypress and Grouse mountain are hills that are accessible from Vancouver and you could stay here and ski but fairly limited in terrain.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
theres been a fair few ads with whistler offering pretty good discounts on accomodation if booked by mid november, as it seems the Olympics have put off a far amount of people this year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you might be surprised - a lot of people are staying away from Whistler due to the olympics so could get a bargain - check out http://www.alluradirect.com/ for apartments
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am afraid there is only one option left to you after those mentioned above... divorce Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cymru am Byth, seconded Stuarth's suggestion of website for booking accommodation. We stayed in condo's in Glacier's Reach with private hot tub.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stayed in the Executive Inn last year (Intrawest run place) which was pretty reasonable and has the greatest location in the middle of Whistler Village's shops, restaurants, etc which would be great for your wife. It wasn't the most modern of places but the room was v big, had a kitchen (great if you want to keep costs down) and a jacuzzi tub. I'd definitely stay there again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're planning 6 days skiing somewhere and 5 days in Vancouver, I don't see where the trip to Seattle fits in on an 11 day trip, unless you really want to spend 6+ hours in the car and do it as a day trip (bad idea, don't do this).

I'd say if Whistler doesn't work out, don't go to a resort. Spend half your time in Vancouver and half your time in Seattle. The wife will have more to do in those cities than she would have at any ski resort, and you can easily go for the day to the nearby ski areas.

Vancouver:
Cypress, Grouse Mt, Whistler

Seattle:
Stevens Pass, Snoqualmie Pass, Crystal Mt (and much more that requires a bit more driving, but those three would really have you covered).

Your wife gets her city vacation and you get your skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
as 666 mentions, there are 3 ski hills local to Vancouver: grouse, cypress and the other one tha I can never remember

if you go to Whistler, I can recommend spending a night or two here

http://www.whistlerinns.com/cedarsprings/

Joern is a COrdon bleu trained chef and his food is superb.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt wrote:
as 666 mentions, there are 3 ski hills local to Vancouver: grouse, cypress and the other one tha I can never remember

if you go to Whistler, I can recommend spending a night or two here

http://www.whistlerinns.com/cedarsprings/

Joern is a COrdon bleu trained chef and his food is superb.

Mt. Seymour
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cymru am Byth, If you book before the 15th November you'll get a pretty decent discount in some cases. I've stayed in Creekside which is ten min's by bus from Whistler village, which is great with a few bars ( especially dusty's) a few restaurants, and a handful of accomodation. Buses are frequent, so getting to the village is really easy, and i suspect they'll put more public transport on during the games.

I stayed in Legends, which i can highly recommend with outdoor pool and hot tubs and a stone throw away from the gondola, they seem to be doing some deals:-

http://legendswhistler.com/deals_packages/

Go to Whistler, it's awesome, then again Vancouver is seriously cool. You could'nt pi$$ a canadian off.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try Sandown Ski resort in Esher-it's awesome!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Liam, Creekside closed for the season by the looks of it, it's the main Olympic area for accomodation.

Wife has booked the lot now. Six days in Whistler at the end of the holiday, got the Les Chamois hotel for $200 a night, down from $700 during the Olympics. We've also booked a hotel in Victoria for the rest of the holiday.

Day trip to Seattle looks on, they run a fast ferry direct from Victoria to Seattle.

Biggest problem was the night we arrive. Too late to catch the last ferry to Victoria. It's the evening before the closing ceremony. Needless to say no hotels available. Being quoted up to $700 for a B&B. Ended up having to get a B&B way out of town for the price of a four star hotel.

Anyone in Whistler between the 4th and 10th March?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If I'm not mistaken, the Seattle-Victoria ferry is an evening departure and morning return, so a day trip to Seattle will require staying two nights in Seattle. The service is geared towards people in Seattle day-tripping to Victoria, not the other way around. It's a beautiful trip, though.

The Horseshoe Bay-Nanaimo ferry runs pretty late. It requires a bit more driving that the Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay ferry (I assume that's the schedule you looked at), but without knowing what time you arrive, it could potentially get you on the island the night you arrive.
ski holidays
ami in berlin, You are correct and that trip is now dead in the water (pun intended).

Anyone stayed at the Les Chamois, I'm picking up mixed reviews for it.
snow report
Creekside is only closed February 1 to March 1.

check out http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/olympics/index.htm for info on whats is open and closed

Dont know much about Les Chamois, but it is a fantastic location.
ski holidays
Cymru am Byth, yes we are! Arrive 7th from our Big White week so let me know if you want some ski buddies. Know the area as skied a few times.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy