Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Ischgl - stay Galtur/Kappl/ Thoughts ....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
we are planning a week in Ischgl, but have some friends who can only stay 4 days (sat-wed), and as many of you know, less than a week in Ischgl is nigh impossible to find in advance.

I've found quite a few places that look really nice in Galtur and Kappl, which are apparently 10km and 7km from Ischgl respectively. Both local areas look fun for a day or two, and free ski bus makes Ischgl easy to get to in mornings. We are early start, ski all day kinda folks, who are usually in bed by midnight.

One question - we'd want to do B&B and head out to Ischgl to eat in the evenings with friends who are staying there. The last free buses are 7pm-ish, so does anyone have any idea what a taxi would cost from either Kappl or Galtur? Given the cost of staying in these places is about 50% that of Ischgl anyway, as long as taxis aren't extorniate, this might work.

Any anyone who's been to Galtur/Kappl before, I'd be interested in your thoughts. thx ...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some of our group stayed for less than a week when we went to Ischgl in March. Hotel was called the Passeier (I think that's the right spelling) if you want to try them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've stayed in Galtur before and taken a taxi back from Ischgl. It was around 12 euros or so a couple of years ago. Galtur is brilliant for families. It's really well set up for families. However if you've not got kids you'll probably want to spend most of your time in Ischgl.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stayed in Galtur last winter. It was ok but next time I'll try to find a hotel in Ischgl.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lager, thx, yep, no kids here, and 12 euros sounds decent. If we were feeling lazy (or it was dumping like crazy), were there any restaurants to eat in Galtur, or bars (even quiet ones) to hanfg out for an occasional evening?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gortonator wrote:
Lager, thx, yep, no kids here, and 12 euros sounds decent. If we were feeling lazy (or it was dumping like crazy), were there any restaurants to eat in Galtur, or bars (even quiet ones) to hanfg out for an occasional evening?

There are a few decent restaurants, including a couple of Italian restaurants and there are a few bars. I believe Tommy's Garage is the main apres place, but I didn't get much of a chance to check it out. I was either with the family or with some people who were staying in Ischgl.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could also look for accomodation in Mathon which is closer to Ischgl (about 5 km or halfway between Ischgl and Galtuer). Mathon does not have an own ski resort though. There are a few bigger hotels with restaurant in Mathon as well.

However, you would have to check the accomodation carefully since there are an awful lot of small hamlets (2 or 3 houses or so) in between Ischgl and Galtuer which are definitely somewhat in a nowhere land. Some of these hotels will probably have Mathon as address but are located at isolated places.

In my opinion the surrounding landscape in Galtuer is pretty much more amazing than Ischgl. Galtuer has a much more alpine touch. Galtuer's own resort is also quite interesting and there are a few enteraining off-piste runs as well. A particular gem would be the tour from the resort down to Partenen and then via cable car, taxi bus (as the Silvretta alpine road is closed during the winter) to Bielerhöhe and back on skis to Galtuer (very flat skiing though). There are guided runs on this tour frequently. Landscape is awesome around the Bielerhöhe (Hemingway used to stay there for spring skiing during his winter in Montafon in the 1920ies).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thx everyone. Hotel Ganri Bel Ami at Galtuer is looking a good alternative then. Right next to gondola base, and hopefully within staggering distance of the bus to Ischgl.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gortonator wrote:
Thx everyone. Hotel Ganri Bel Ami at Galtuer is looking a good alternative then. Right next to gondola base, and hopefully within staggering distance of the bus to Ischgl.

Should be noted that the skiing in Galtur is actually in a little Hamlet called Wirl. It's not far from Galtur proper, but there didn't seem to be much in the way of bars and restaurants there.

IIRC the bus to Ischgl goes from the main square in Galtur, so you might have to take a bus from Wirl -> Galtur, then Galtur -> Ischgl. The buses from Wirl -> Galtur -> Wirl are fairly regular though. Taxi will be a little more from Ischgl -> Wirl.

I could be wrong about the bus though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lager, yep, this hotel is at Wirl, but bus timetable indicates it starts there, which would make sense for a ski bus. And an evening stroll to bars is no worries. Good point about Taxi though - add a few Euros!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gortonator, Can't comment from personal experience, only from my good mate who stayed in Ischgl earlier this year with his Mrs. (he goes at least 4 ski trips a year and he usually judges things pretty spot on). Although he comes with us on the annual boys trip to St Anton, he actually said that if returning (esp with family) that he would rather stay in Kappl.

I am taking the family to Kappl at start of Jan and staying in a 3 star hotel slopeside - Hotel Silvretta. Think Kappl would be too quiet though if you're looking fo choice of retaurants etc. My mate did love the skiing around Kappl though and his favourite skiing of the valley. Probably better suited for families I would imagine though and has come very high as an Austrian family favourite. And as you say a fraction of price of Ischgl (costing me about a third of the price of a week in Oberlech with the family Very Happy )
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gortonator, let us know how it works out. I'm looking at spending a week or two in Galtür next week. We're also up early and ski all day folks who are usually in bed by 10:00, and the difference in cost compared to staying in Ischgl is considerable. As long as the logistics work well, Galtür looks like a pretty attractive place to stay.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gortonator,
I have stayed in both Kappl and Galtur to ski Ischgl. I have rented a car for airport transfers and going between the resorts so cannot help much with cost of rtaxis. The tourist office is usually pretty good at answering questions and will probably tell you the price. One other price to factor in is that you have to buy the full Silvretta valley pass to ski Ischgl if you are staying outside Ischgl which is a fair bit pricier than the Ischgl/Samnaun pass available to people staying in Ischgl or Mathon.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy