Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone, now that the new season looms, thought I'd pop in to ask about Cervinia.

Cos of depature dates this year (we also go over new year so as not to take our son out of school) we were cornered into departing on 27th Dec which restricted us a little. Was hoping to go back to Canazei for a third year on the trot, but have decided to plump for altitude and Cervinia certainly fits the bill there!

Miss Ribena's review certainly whets the appetite. Anyone else been? Any tips? And as it's linked,what is Zermatt like?

Have booked Petit Palais with Crystal. Looking forward to this year rather more than usual...

Steve M
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Top of Kleine Matterhorn all the way down to Valtournenche is a sweeet run. Try not to lose your girlfriend in thick fog half way down it though, like I did. The Ventina red is ace too.

The trip to Zermatt is well worth doing. It's a must in fact.

Some (most?) of Cervinia is overgraded and a bit gentle for my liking. That's a good or bad thing depending on who's going though. If there are beginners in your group who would normally be naturally rouge-averse you should really hammer the point home to them that in Cervinia, Red == Blue and Blue == slightly uphill.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed in Zermatt a good many years ago late in the season and ran over into Cervinia quite a few times. Expect wide, open, cruisy-blue type pistes that catch a lot of sun. I remember one itineraire (or black, I can't remember) that ran off the ridge up near Theodulpass that had some really nice snow on it - and not much used!

Zermatt is much more interesting BUT is more-or-less divided into three separate areas. From Cervinia I would try to avoid trying to do more than one of those in a day.

Must do's:

Train ride up to the Gornergrat
Kleiner Matterhorn - walk along tunnel and ascend steps to view point
Trifti bumps

Piste map:
http://www.ski-zermatt.com/mattnet/pics/Zermatt%20and%20Cervinia%20Skimap.pdf
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
With the riffleberg lift, its now pretty easy to ski from KM over to Rothorn, so it makes a good day out, plus add lunch in findlen well worht the one day international pass.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My (rather old) copy of the Good Ski Guide says that good skiers might get bored with Cervinia and ought to be over in Zermatt. Expect a lot of blue motorways which go on and on.
However good skiers sometimes pop over from Zermatt to catch Heli drops behind the Matterhorn.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It has been a few years since I was there but I recall the base station in Cervinia was very user unfriendly with masses of odd little staircases which you had to walk up carrying skis which was real pain. It also took a loooooong time to get to the top.

The slopes were pretty quiet when we were there.....a lot of the clientele seemed to have perfected the long leisurely lunch.....deck chairs were laid out just after 11 on the restaurant decks and the incumbents were there until after 3 I think, followed by a leisurely meander down the mountain for a bit of apres
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies peeps!

Hello again Paulio, you gave valuable advice previously about Canazei - thanks for helping again!

We're a mixed party. Myself and a chum who I've skied every year with since '88. My wife is pretty good, although she insists on her blades so she's not much of a powder hound these days. His wife should really benefit form the easy slopes of Cervinia, she tends to give up by lunchtime if conditions are too trying. Our kids range from 13 to 7 years and are all competent - again a good reason to go to Cervinia, we can all ski together in the afternoons after ski school.

Hopefully it won't be too busy. Not sure it will match the everchanging spectacle of the Dolomites, but the Matterhorn does have an appeal. I've only seen it in summer before.

Stay upright everyone

Steve M
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smich, You only get the "classic" Matterhorn view from the Swiss side, it doesn't look as impressive from Italy. Even more reason to get across the border for a day or 2.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The skiing on the Cervinia side is not that challenging but I found it very enjoyable when I was there a couple of years ago. I also much enjoyed the Italian hostelries (we were blessed with great weather).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
smich wrote:
Hello again Paulio, you gave valuable advice previously about Canazei - thanks for helping again!

I very much doubt that was me as I've never been there. Would certainly like to, but haven't, and wouldn't advise about something I don't know about.

There are a few pauls here though, it must have been one of the others.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
smich, Cervinia may have the altitude - but it doesn't have the charm that Canazei has. Zermatt is one of the greats - but the connection is at 3500-3800m (depending on which way you are going) and is not always open because of the weather.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry paulio, a case of mistakem identity! I haven't been on here for nine months and my memory is not what it was!

Steve M
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the matterhorn is so beautiful... however the skiing can get slightly dull!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It can get very windy! There's one nice long red and some nice but busy blues but not much else. Was very disappointed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Smich, I worked in Cervinia for Crystal last winter and am sure you will enjoy your time with us.

Petit Palais is a good base, can normally ski pretty much back to the hotel (snow conditions permitting) and home run Ventina is an absolute belter.

Plenty of good cruising on the Cervinia side, Valtournenche area quite intersting and very quiet.

Dont think you will experience much in the way of lift queues and Zermatt well worth a visit. Some nice restaurants and bars in the main street and Chalet Etoile up on the mountain a great eating place.

Probably worthwhile prebooking lift passes before you come, was certainly quite a bit cheaper last year

Hope you have a great time

Any other questions give me a shout
ski holidays
If you want to fit in with the locals a big fur coat is essential! Lots of good comments here, but it can get very windy.
snow conditions
Guyrhofen, welcome to snowheads ! snowHead
ski holidays
Echoing Guyrhofen, the Petit Palais is indeed best placed (of all that end of town!) to avoid at least some of those bloody steps at the base station.
snow report
I'm also going to Cervinia in December but only for 4 days skiing. I dont really like the idea of easy blues and reds all day in Cervinia and was wondering how many days pass should I get for Zermatt? I was going to buy the international pass for the first 3 days.
Cheers.
latest report
If the weather forecast is not good my advice would be to go to for a local pass which can be upgraded to cover Zermatt on a daily basis. These upgrades can be purchased at any of the main lift stations.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy